PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Comments

• Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 20 June 2018 at 6:56AM
    I made lettuce, pea and mint soup yesterday using three bolted lettuce ( too old to eat as lettuce, but hadn't set seed) from the garden, the very last few of last years peas, a stock cube and a handful of mint from the garden :) Last year I planted some mint root left from a pot of cooking mint I bought at the supermarket to try to extend its life a bit; and am thrilled to bits to find it's taken, has come up again and is romping away this year. Our garden is dark, and usually quite damp, so I didn't really expect it to survive, never mind thrive. It's a different way of not wasting food I suppose, though I'm not sure it fits here.
    I'm making a big Spanish omelette toda with the leftover new potatoes I've been adding to a tupperware in the freezer in ones and twos after meals. Plenty there now for an omelette for three of us and almost a free meal !!!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Cappella wrote: »
    Last year I planted some mint root left from a pot of cooking mint I bought at the supermarket to try to extend its life a bit; and am thrilled to bits to find it's taken, has come up again and is romping away this year. Our garden is dark, and usually quite damp, so I didn't really expect it to survive, never mind thrive. It's a different way of not wasting food I suppose, though I'm not sure it fits here.
    128522;

Just a word of warning, nice as mint is it will take over, I suggest you move it to large pot and not in the open ground
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Mint loves damp conditions. I always keep a bed for mint, I love mint tea.
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Many apologies people. I've put this in the wrong thread. It was supposed to be in LFHW.
    Thank you Farway, but it's welcome to take over. We grow mostly on our allotment. Our garden here is tiny, dark and damp. It's lovely to see ANYTHING growing happily in it :)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Thank you for making a mistake capella as I now know I can try to grow mint below the shaded wall in my yard. I have it south facing on the plot so I also now know why it's a bit lacklustre ;)
  • Frudd
    Frudd Posts: 53 Forumite
    Gspree wrote: »
    And perhaps some commodities would become cheaper... you mentioned rice etc, in what scenario would leaving the eu push up the cost of rice?

It is already happening. The value of the pound is falling due to the uncertainty, this tends to make imports more expensive.
    £0/£2017 extra income :(
    £1070 credit card
  • RebeccaAnn
    RebeccaAnn Posts: 81
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have convinced the hubby to let me stock up and bulk buy items we use all the time. We have a bit of cash spare so buying 10kg bags of rice and 5kg bags of lentils isn't too much of an issue. I also need to find some gas canisters for our camping stove. We rely solely on electric and unfortunately live in a rental so no chance of putting a wood burner in. I made a nettle soup the other day which was nice. It made me think that their must be loads of recipes for stuff I can make pretty much for free but have never realised.
    SPC #062
    12k in2019 #23 £8167/£16k
    Make £2019 in 2019 #32 £513/£2019
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi RebeccaAnn, talking of recipes of stuff pretty much for free - I made peapod soup last weekend, having scoffed the peas from our allotment :)

It was superbly easy, just fry up onion, garlic, add peapods and some veggie stock and simmer for a while, then add salt and pepper and maybe a bit of lemon juice and voila! Scrumptious and free. Nomnom
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Kittikins I expect that to be the most useful info I will learn today. Thank you :D
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My pleasure - I have vague memories of my parents' friends doing the whole Good Life peapod wine when I was tiny in the 70s, once my beloved Knitted Welshman and I are settled in the house we're buying next week, we want to make all kinds of Goode stuff! I'm reading this thread and others avidly :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback