Four months for an HMRC repayment?!

Options
I was flabbergasted when I spoke to HMRC this morning.

I had been due a rebate of just about four figures from previous years', which I hadn't realised I had. I filed a request online to credit my account around Dec 2017, but nothing came through, and I forgot about it until tax time came around again.

This time, I had a sizeable credit - a good few thousand - and again, I filed online for it to be credited. Again, nothing.

I phoned up back in April, and they said that some additional security checks were required. From 10th April, they said the checks would take until early June, with the credit five days after that.

I chased again yesterday, and they said that the checks would take until late August, with payment five days later! That's a total of over four months just for my last request! They also claim that the due date would always have been this, and they're not sure why I was originally told start of June!

I'm having my first realisation of why people hate The Revenue so much, since it seems they have a chunk of money that I need, and I have zero recourse? I do have an accountant I can check in, but I was wondering whether anyone else is seeing such delays, and what it likely to have triggered these checks.

Thanks!

Harry

Comments

• Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Seems par for the course, if it were you who owed them then the wheels would turn much faster, you'd have already had the bailiffs knocking on your door by now.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • Murdina
    Murdina Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It does seem to be the case that if you are picked out for a security check on a refund it ends up taking an age to get the money. A security check means they are checking you are who you say you are.

It may also be that you owe money elsewhere within HMRC and a stop was put on the repayment for that reason. I have come across this in the past without HMRC being too explicit to the taxpayer it was the case (possibly because the person on the end of the phone does not have access to all their systems).
  • Harrypods
    Harrypods Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I saw a bunch of discussions where the rebates were in weeks, but I think for a smaller amount.

Yep, hardly seems fair. I asked if I could stop paying tax for a while, but apparently that’s also not an option ;-)
  • chrismac1
    chrismac1 Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    Options
    In plain English a "security check" is what everyone else calls "slow pay".

As an accountant I often have to call to chase up these slow pay cases. it is not unusual for the money to be released then and there over the phone. Security check my Arrrrse.
    Hideous Muddles from Right Charlies
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    chrismac1 wrote: »
    Security check my Arrrrse.

That's not a job that you'll find many applicants for :rotfl:
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you get Benefits in Kind from your employer?

If so it could be HMRCare waiting for the P11d details from an employers worked for in the last tax year. The deadline for these to be submitted is approx 16 July.

If not then security checks can take some time. Not only because of what is undertaken but also because of a lack of staff.

More and more staff leave every week yet they're not replaced. Less staff means less cases worked, it's that simple.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    The op appears to be referring to a Self Assessment repayment so I'm not sure what relevance P11D details have?
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My wife paid her NI back in January, and its still not been credited to her pension record despite lots of chasing.
  • chrismac1
    chrismac1 Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    Options
    One useful tip on these so-called security checks. When you phone them up, ask them what specific information they are checking, as you should be able to help them resolve any issues.

In my experience, 50% of the time they realease the money there and then when you get specific like this. I honestly believe that most of the time there are no checks it is just slow pay.
    Hideous Muddles from Right Charlies
  • unkle
    unkle Posts: 338 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I submitted my Self assessment last Sunday and on Thursday I had the repayment in my account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure