Washing machine - burning smell

I got this new machine on the 2nd April and today there is a strong smell of burning from inside the drum. It’s also started making some strange ‘clicking’ type noises when turning. The manufacturers (Hotpoint) have offered to send an engineer to look at it. Could anyone help me understand what my rights are with this? I’ve tried reading on the main site but I’m confused about whether I have 30 days or 6 months and if I’m entitled to a replacement or just a repair.

I bought it from Curry’s. Should I really be contacting them instead of Hotpoint?

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, you need to speak to Currys, that's who you have a contract with and subsequently your consumer rights. You have 30 days in which to exrecise your short-term right to reject the item outright but as you've now gone beyond that, the retailer has a single attempt at repairing the machine.
  • lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Did you remove the transit bolts?
  • neilmcl
    lammy82 wrote: »
    That was my initial thought but given that he's had, and presumably used, the machine since 2 April I'd suspect it's not that.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    lammy82 wrote: »

It was installed by Curry’s Knowhow team. They handed me some bolt type things and said to keep them. I’m guessing they were transit bolts. I hope they aren’t important because I threw them out! The machine has worked fine until now.
  • ripplyuk
    Hotpoint want to send an engineer this Friday. It doesn’t cost anything. Should I let them go ahead or is it best to cancel that and ring Curry’s?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    It was installed by Curry’s Knowhow team. They handed me some bolt type things and said to keep them. I’m guessing they were transit bolts. I hope they aren’t important because I threw them out! The machine has worked fine until now.
    Er...

You'll be ok without them unless you move house - the bolts go back in to keep everything stable in transit.
  • Clicking noise and burning smell would suggest a fault with the motor. Either broken carbon brush or damaged segments on the motor. Hotpoint should be able to cure this easily on their visit.
  • neilmcl
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    Hotpoint want to send an engineer this Friday. It doesn!!!8217;t cost anything. Should I let them go ahead or is it best to cancel that and ring Curry!!!8217;s?
    Just let them come, if nothing else they'll be able to diagnose what the fault is. I'd still contact Currys just so they are aware should you subsequently decide you want a refund instead.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Just let them come, if nothing else they'll be able to diagnose what the fault is. I'd still contact Currys just so they are aware should you subsequently decide you want a refund instead.
    They are not going to get a refund though anyway it goes, at least not at this stage.

Even if you do cancel the appointment and speak to Currys all they will do is tell you to contact Hotpoint to confirm your fault.

They then have the right to repair it so no point in delaying the repair. If it all goes wrong then you can get in touch with Currys to demand a refund.
  • ripplyuk
    The engineer said he couldn’t find any faults. He also said it’s impossible to have a burning smell inside the drum because ‘there’s water in there’.

I’m not sure what to do now. I’m scared to keep using it in case it causes a fire. Curry’s will probably refuse to exchange it since Hotpoint say it fine. Am I stuck with it? Is there anything I can do?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure