New guitar

Looking at getting a new guitar, after years of not playing thought I would get back into it. Found a few places online offering 0% interest repayment for 6-12 months such as pmt online, has anyone here got any recommendations I may have missed?

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,671
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    acoustic ? electric ?
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    What type? Second hand is often better value.
  • ianh1956
    ianh1956 Posts: 46 Forumite
    I currently have an electric so would like to stick to that I think. Currently have a strat but have been looking at the lower end Gretsch's. Where would be best for s/h, the usual places, eBay gumtree etc?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I'd be hunting around the music shops. Guitars are far too personal a preference for me to buy one without test driving it extensively.
  • ianh1956
    Very true, you can't get the feel of the instrument looking at pics online ha
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    ianh1956 wrote: »
    I currently have an electric so would like to stick to that I think. Currently have a strat but have been looking at the lower end Gretsch's. Where would be best for s/h, the usual places, eBay gumtree etc?
    When I've bought second hand it's always been from friends or friends of friends. I play classical though and it's a much closer knit circle especially when a couple of friends have been through the music college route and know a lot of people.

Take someone with you who knows more than you and give yourself time to think it over before committing.
  • ianh1956
    I have been playing for a bit now so know what to look out for in terms of quality, may be a case of drawing up a list of local places and getting around them for a look I think
  • Soulginge
    Soulginge Posts: 27 Forumite
    It would definitely be best to just play as many different guitars as possible. Choose what kind of thing you want, Tele, Archtop, Les Paul, etc and just play them. Don't always presume that high price equals playability or quality, the Mexican Fenders for example are absolutely wonderful and cost half the price of an American Standard. The lower end Gretsch guitars are also pretty well put together, good reviews online. Once you find a good one, you might be lucky and find an example online for cheaper, but it must be said, if you find a good one you should probably just go with that one.
  • I have an acoustic guitar. It is much relaible to use.
  • earlywormgetsthebird
    earlywormgetsthebird Posts: 45 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2018 at 7:21PM
    One word: Ibanez

Or at least it was always that way, when I was last looking to buy an electric guitar. And this poster can only trust Ibanez have kept their reputation going, in the few years since I last bought one, to this day.

In other words, of the widely established manufacturers, Ibanez seemed to have no interest of in making 'nothing much to write home about' guitars, simply to make their expensive models look better.

Every model of guitar that Ibanez makes, from their cheap to their expensive models, has that assured stamp of quality, oozing through every inch of its being. You, can't, in other words, go wrong with an Ibanez. Trust others who've owned an Ibanez would agree and HTH someone, even if a lil' late to the thread (with apologies) for the OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure