BLue Badge Autism / Hidden Disabilities 2019 changes

In 2018 the Government announced following a consultation that Blue Badge reform would be happening for people with hidden disabilities e.g. autism. We were told that this would happen in 'early 2019'. Well here we are in May 2019 and nothing has happened. My local council had no information so i contacted the National Autistic Society who also had no information.

So after some research, I have now found this information on the gov website where they update the statues.

The new law comes live on 30 August 2019.

Just to confirm - to qualify for a blue badge under the new rules you need to have:
either
10 points under PIP in the planning and following journeys section (i.e. standard rate mobility)
or -
by having an assessment and giving them your own medical evidence of your hidden disability

Here is the link to the statute

hope this is helpful
mini money saving noob

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Enhanced mobility for following and planning a journey won't entitle you to a blue badge automatically, according to that. I read it as this, "obtained a score of 10 points in relation to the “planning and following journeys” activity on the grounds that they cannot undertake any journey because it would cause them overwhelming psychological distress.”;

They automatically give a person a blue badge even though they can't go out because of psychological distress...hmm yes, that makes perfect sense to me.....NOT
  • JuzaMum
    JuzaMum Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    poppy12345 wrote: »

They automatically give a person a blue badge even though they can't go out because of psychological distress...hmm yes, that makes perfect sense to me.....NOT

I have applied for a Blue Badge for my daughter who I get DLA and carers allowance for. Her ASD means that going out with her is incredibly difficult. Her school allows me to use the disabled parking right outside the school so we literally park outside the door. We barely go out as she gets so distressed. On many occasions I have had to carry her to the car. She screams, bites and scratches. If I let go of her she will run without regard to her surroundings.
    A Blue badge would make a huge change to the quality of out lives.
    I doubt we will get one :(
  • poppy12345
    JuzaMum wrote: »
    I have applied for a Blue Badge for my daughter who I get DLA and carers allowance for. Her ASD means that going out with her is incredibly difficult. Her school allows me to use the disabled parking right outside the school so we literally park outside the door. We barely go out as she gets so distressed. On many occasions I have had to carry her to the car. She screams, bites and scratches. If I let go of her she will run without regard to her surroundings.
    DLA and PIP are completely different. If your daughter receives the high rate mobility for DLA then this will automatically entitle her to a BB.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

I know adults who were given blue badges for behavioural issues rather than physical mobility needs. It can happen.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • JuzaMum
    JuzaMum Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    DLA and PIP are completely different. If your daughter receives the high rate mobility for DLA then this will automatically entitle her to a BB.

We get the lower rate mobility - she is physically fit and great at running just not in the right direction :rotfl:
  • poppy12345
    We get the lower rate mobility - she is physically fit and great at running just not in the right direction :rotfl:
    I totally understand that, my daughter is the same. She claims the Enhanced mobility for following and planning a journey for PIP and this doesn't automatically qualify her for the BB either. It will depend on the criteria of your local council.
  • My DD has a formal diagnosis but the last assessment the had she was only awarded 4 points for mobility though she gets DLA carers and also due to other complex needs has to be accompanied at all times when she goes out. To put it simply she is an adult (21 years old) but will can not travel without a relative as it would be the same as a 4 year old or perhaps travelling alone. She has other social and global needs.
    The authority we come under currently will only issue a BB if you have higher DLA mobility.

Are the new guidelines saying now that if you have a formal diagnosis it assists?
    My DD has such a bad meltdown if we go out and we can't park in certain places etc. I have an understanding mum who has a BB who will accompany us if we go anywhere on a weekend but this is not always going to be the case.
  • poppy12345

Are the new guidelines saying now that if you have a formal diagnosis it assists?
    No, that's not what it will be. For following and planning a journey then you need to score 10 points for descriptor E. Can not undertake any journey because it will cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. Rule changes take place in August 2019.

Aside from this take a look at your local councils criteria. You can still apply but a face to face assessment will most likely be needed and you'll need evidence to support her claim.
  • Thanks Poppy12345. At the moment the effect that having to put my DD through a face to face assessment for BB to be honest is something that is going to have to be thought of long and hard. I looked on the council's eligibility criteria last night and it allowed me to click 4 points and let me proceed but no where did it have anything linked to this being awarded due to overwhelming psychological distress.
  • poppy12345
    I looked on the council's eligibility criteria last night and it allowed me to click 4 points and let me proceed but no where did it have anything linked to this being awarded due to overwhelming psychological distress.
    As advised in the first post the new rules don't come into affect until August 2019. When they do it's not just overwhelming psychological distress that will qualify you. You need to score those 10 points in following and planning a journey, as advised in my previous post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure