Bananacustard
Bananacustard Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 20 May 2019 at 11:16AM in Motoring

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Without a witness this is your word against his and will likely end up as a fault claim with each party liable for their cost.
    Get a dash camera
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    Without a witness this is your word against his and will likely end up as a fault claim with each party liable for their cost.
    Get a dash camera
    As very unfair as this sounds, it is exactly what happened to my husband.

Insurance went 50/50

I'm afraid I don't see a good outcome for you on this one.
  • Bananacustard
    Options
    To me, the damage sustained to both vehicles doesnt correspond with his story. If I had collided with him, damage would be more central surely as opposed to just one corner?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    To me, the damage sustained to both vehicles doesnt correspond with his story. If I had collided with him, damage would be more central surely as opposed to just one corner?
    I doubt the insurance companies will be interested. What's clear is that there was an accident. What's unclear (to them) in the absence of dashcam footage or a statement from an independent witness, is exactly how that accident happened. I'm sure there's a way that the other party's story can be made to fit the damage pattern.

Did you take photographs of the cars and their location at the scene? Again, they're probably not absolutely helpful but they might discredit the other party's account. If you didn't, this is almost certainly going to go the way of shared blame.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So many of these ridiculous rebuttals getting accepted by insurers, make me wonder if the insurers suggest them. :)

As said above, get a dashcam.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Last week I'd pulled into a junction on a quiet and narrow residential road when I saw a car reversing from a driveway onto the road. As the road was narrow, I stopped to allow the driver to reverse out. The driver clearly wasnt looking and continued to reverse towards me. I sounded the horn a few times but he ended up hitting the front driver side corner of my car with his rear passenger corner (he was reversing on a slight angle).
    So, umm, why did you stop? And, having stopped, why did you continue to sit there blocking his exit, with your hand on the horn - rather than simply pulling off out of his way?
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You know where he lives ...
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You know where he lives ...
    And presumably his name, telephone number and car registration. What's OP supposed to do with that information that they haven't already?
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And presumably his name, telephone number and car registration. What's OP supposed to do with that information that they haven't already?
    There's no requirement to exchange phone numbers.
  • Bananacustard
    Options
    I stopped because the road was too narrow for me to pass. I wasn't blocking his exit at all. He reversed out on angle. I didn't expect him to hit me. He should've checked the road was clear at all times before he continued to reverse, and if he couldn't see, somebody should've guided him. Don't jump to conclusions without knowing the story.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure