IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Unknown CCJ with some complexities- please help

Comments

• beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    "Secondly- We have got a letter in this morning from the opposition for costs these include:
    fixed fee for instructing advocate £100
    advocate fee £55
    vat £20"

The courts are well aware of the CCJ problem especially
    with companies who fail to try and trace the person at
    their current address.
    UKPC are one of those companies and must be questioned
    if they acted correctly

Theresa May vowed to investigate this problem over a
    year ago but clearly did nothing, as is her bad habit
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3786132/I-ll-end-credit-rating-scandal-pledges-PM-acts-Mail-exposes-rulings-ruined-lives.html

Their claim for costs is menacing and should be brought
    to the attention of the court.

They forget to say, that if they lose, and they probably will,
    they will then owe you the costs involved in this
  • In the event of a loss the disbursement costs (advocate fees) may well be recoverable. The costs of solicitors are not recoverable. It should also not cost more to instruct an advocate than the brief fee - basically all they will have done is forward your documents and said defend it.

Your schedule of costs should be served on the claimant at least 24 hrs prior to the hearing.
  • wdm1985
    wdm1985 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Hi John ( +the rest)
    so at this point... if we are granted the set aside do the court refund the £255?
    Whilst I understand your point about the costs- how do I go about highlighting that? am I right in that I pay nothing if the set aside is won? I find it all so confusing. Can you advise regarding documentation?

what schedule of costs are we supposed to submit to them? is there an amount i can claim fo rloss of earnings etc
  • wdm1985
    Thanks Pappa- I have provided what I think is a fairly robust defence for the set aside never mind overturning the ruling. So I don't think we will lose the set aside. So i feel like We should be making sure or time is paid for and the fee is reimbursed- I was under the impression you could get this refunded?

But...

I just don't understand the financials- what is paid when. I have no doubt they are trying to frighten us into submission with this. We wont give up.
  • wdm1985
    for example I would be thinking
    £255 court set aside fee
    £90 lost wages (wife)

If a witness goes are they also allowed lost wages?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    wdm1985 wrote: »
    for example I would be thinking
    £255 court set aside fee
    £90 lost wages (wife)

If a witness goes are they also allowed lost wages?

Look at LoadsofChildren123’s template comprehensive costs schedule in the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2 which will give you plenty of ideas. Frighten them back!

LOC is a lawyer.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 21 October 2017 at 1:44PM
    There are 2 strands to such hearings, generally.
    1. Why did C get judgment in default and is there a reason to set aside?
    2. If it is set aside is there a reasonable prospect of being able to defend?

Once set aside, you must ask the court if you may make submissions as to costs. That is when you ask for your court fees (and any additional costs back). It won't be gifted to you automatically. Don't ask: don't get. That said, if an application is "won" the presumption is that costs will be recoverable.
  • wdm1985
    HI UK- many thanks

Not sure how appropriate that is at the minute as that was after the case was discontinued. This is for the set aside We just want to make sure we get our money back for the 255 and lost wages at this point. Also need my wifes credit rating back as we have to remortgage this yr.

Can anyone advice legality of advocates and what they have to do to prove they have legal right to represent?
  • wdm1985
    http://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/right-of-audience/

just been reading this off the prankster, If they send an advocate (which they have already told me they will do) and a representative from UKPC is not there, does that give me grounds to question it? or because they have been appointed by the law firm are they ok? its all very confusing
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    wdm1985 wrote: »
    also- how do we know that an 'advocate' has right of audience with the judge...

Can anyone advice legality of advocates and what they have to do to prove they have legal right to represent?

Here's one of several threads where this is covered, plus a 'preliminary matters' template you can use:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5640934

Did you find LoadsofChildren123's costs schedule, linked in post #2 of the NEWBIES thread? Is the Defendant your wife and are you both attending or just your good lady?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure