MSE News: BT to raise prices AGAIN - how to beat the hikes

Options

Comments

• Hopelessly_Addicted
    Options
    Hopelessly Addicted what number did you call? When I called this time I was put through to department who specifies in trying to offer a better deal to keep you. I told her the only deal BT had offered me so far (by two different people) was locking my price so that the price rise wouldn!!!8217;t effect me and I declined that instantly. The lady today managed to find me a better deal in a matter of minutes.
    Oh, I didn't get offered anything like this. I just called the customer service line and I when the autmoated voice asked me what I was calling for, I said 'leave BT', at which point I was on hold for ages before someone answered my call. I assumed I was put through to retentions, but I guess not, because the best deal they could offer me was to stay on the same deal I'm on at the moment - I think both were slightly more expensive tha what I'm on at the moment.

EDIT: Can you please let me know what you were offered?

Thanks.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    By BT sending you a letter or email, they know full well they should not be charging cancellation fees within the next 30 days. I don't see why you need to call them, they just want you to call so they can lie and hassle you in to staying. If they really want you to inform them they could have provided an email address, but they don't, for a very good reason....
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Roger1 wrote: »
    A question about the checker:
    - when there's an offer that includes 11/15/whatever channels (usually Sky), are Freeview channels still available?
    Does anybody know the answer to this, please?

Thanks.
  • make_the_change
    Options
    Hopelessly Addicted I was initially offered the same price as I pay now by two different people. I declined. I then got through to the loyalty department who knocked my bill down by £9 (after the price increase) and I didn’t even have to argue. They found that deal instantly.
    DMP Started June 2016
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What number was this loyalty department ??
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 July 2018 at 10:20AM
    Options
    From bt.athome@ecomm.bt.com with date stamp and time on email. Received by me with this info attached,
    If you want to leave and you're within your minimum contract term, you'll need to call us within 30 days from the date of this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days if you're switching to a new provider). We won't charge you for any increase in price during that time.
    Thank you for choosing us !!!8211; and we hope you continue to get the best out of our services.
    Julie Etheridge
    Director
    Customer Care

Is there any stipulation as to how long after you've told bt your leaving to new provider ? :beer:
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • make_the_change
    Options
    0800 028 3098
    DMP Started June 2016
  • Hopelessly_Addicted
    Options
    Hopelessly Addicted I was initially offered the same price as I pay now by two different people. I declined. I then got through to the loyalty department who knocked my bill down by £9 (after the price increase) and I didn’t even have to argue. They found that deal instantly.
    Thank you. I ended up calling earlier this morning and was offered a much better deal. It's actually a discount. The rep I spoke to on the phone yesterday was really abrupt and wouldn't budget, but today's rep was much nicer. He actually offered me a discount, so I decided to stick with BT. It's only £3 more than what I'd have paid Virgin, so happy to stick with them for now. I'd happily switch to Virgin but was a bit nervous about the stories I hear about them doing traffic management for their broadband. Yes, I could get 200MB fibre from Virgin, but I've read about speeds going to around 2-20mb in the evenings. I'm reguarly getting 70+MB from BT.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MoneyMate wrote: »
    Is there any stipulation as to how long after you've told bt your leaving to new provider ? :beer:

You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days if you're switching to a new provider

As i understand it > free get out ends 30 days after notification to BT . Thats what i was told on three previous price rise letters/ called
  • shavy65
    shavy65 Posts: 562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I`ve been paying £25 pcm (£15 Super fast BB & £10 BT Sports), I called to find out it would increase to £27.
    I asked if there was anything we could do, ended up signing up to another 18 month contract with a discounted price to £22 pcm.
    Happy with that, hope that helps someone.
    3.975 kWp System, South facing, 21 degree pitch, 15 x Canadian Solar Elps, Samil Inverter, location NE Scotland (Fraserburgh) Bring on the Sun :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure