Small Steps Out Of Massive Debt!

Options

Comments

• GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Thank you! Feels good to have hit one milestone!
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    I'm feeling a bit demotivated. I've been spending the last couple of days repeating my "teaspoon not lake" mantra!

I'm feeling a bit itchy over the whole debt situation and would really like to make an overpayment somewhere to hasten my progress towards the next milestone (or any milestone!). My biggest challenge at the moment is learning to live with the uncomfortable feeling of having so much unsecured debt without letting it wind me up so much that I either a. overspend or b. "overspend" by making debt overpayments I can't afford and end up in even more debt.

Sometimes when I get this itchy feeling, I forward plan on my spreadsheet to see where I will be in x months time if I continue with repayments at the same rate. This can actually be quite motivating, to see that the balances will diminish without me spending every spare second stressing over them.
    It is a bit of a balancing act because I feel like I need to constantly watch myself in case I slip into old habits and end up even more in debt, but I guess I'm acknowledging that the constant watching is exhausting too.
  • thegirlinthegreenscarf
    Options
    I'm feeling a bit demotivated. I've been spending the last couple of days repeating my "teaspoon not lake" mantra!

I'm feeling a bit itchy over the whole debt situation and would really like to make an overpayment somewhere to hasten my progress towards the next milestone (or any milestone!). My biggest challenge at the moment is learning to live with the uncomfortable feeling of having so much unsecured debt without letting it wind me up so much that I either a. overspend or b. "overspend" by making debt overpayments I can't afford and end up in even more debt.

Sometimes when I get this itchy feeling, I forward plan on my spreadsheet to see where I will be in x months time if I continue with repayments at the same rate. This can actually be quite motivating, to see that the balances will diminish without me spending every spare second stressing over them.
    It is a bit of a balancing act because I feel like I need to constantly watch myself in case I slip into old habits and end up even more in debt, but I guess I'm acknowledging that the constant watching is exhausting too.

I totally get where you are coming from about feeling "itchy" and also making overpayments you can't afford. I would suggest the following

1) Instead of overpaying, xfer the amount you want to overpay by into another a/c. If you can live without it, fine. If not you can xfer whatever you need back. so you are not into more debt.

2) When you feel "itchy" is maybe a good time to sort through things that you want to sell, or cancel a direct debit or something. Something that will save you money or make you money.

3) Don't be too hard on yourself. You are working through the situation the best way you can. I sometimes worry, but I am going to try yoga before I go to bed to see if that clears my head.

Just remember, when we meet on the "debt free roll of honour" in a few years time we will look back and laugh about the days we used to worry about money xx
    MBNA (Was £2000), Now £2, 900 (Expected date Dec/2020)
    CAR (Was £300) Now
    £2, 000 (Interest free loan from family member)

**Want to be on my way to being debt free for 42**
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    You think you're feeling demotivated, I am having a one woman tantrum about life, the universe and everything over on my diary. :eek:

I think acknowledging that it's hard and boring and depressing is ok to do sometimes. It doesn't mean giving up or going back to old ways, it's just allowing oneself a moment of total wallowing before picking up, dusting off and carrying on. That's what I'm telling myself anyway.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    I totally get where you are coming from about feeling "itchy" and also making overpayments you can't afford. I would suggest the following

1) Instead of overpaying, xfer the amount you want to overpay by into another a/c. If you can live without it, fine. If not you can xfer whatever you need back. so you are not into more debt.

2) When you feel "itchy" is maybe a good time to sort through things that you want to sell, or cancel a direct debit or something. Something that will save you money or make you money.

3) Don't be too hard on yourself. You are working through the situation the best way you can. I sometimes worry, but I am going to try yoga before I go to bed to see if that clears my head.

Just remember, when we meet on the "debt free roll of honour" in a few years time we will look back and laugh about the days we used to worry about money xx

These are all great suggestions, thank you! I love the idea of the overpayment account and I've got an account that could serve this purpose, I could put any overpayments in there and transfer over once a month. Also using the itchy feeling to do something proactive is great! :)
    You think you're feeling demotivated, I am having a one woman tantrum about life, the universe and everything over on my diary. :eek:

I think acknowledging that it's hard and boring and depressing is ok to do sometimes. It doesn't mean giving up or going back to old ways, it's just allowing oneself a moment of total wallowing before picking up, dusting off and carrying on. That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

I think the wallowing is important, trouble comes from denying / distracting from those feelings which usually involves having a financial rebellion about something!
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    OK, I don't think this is going to help with my wallowing but it might help me when I feel the urge for a financial rebellion!

Our debt repayments next month will be £932.74
    Last month our debt reduced by £685.90

The debt repayments figure for next month includes agreed upon & budgeted for overpayments to Barclaycard, Paypal and Very so it isn't a completely accurate picture.
    I might do this next month and work out how much I've paid out vs how much has been paid off the debt ... for the full sobering experience! :rotfl:

Even though it is infuriating to think what we could do with that £932.74 (round it up to £1000 and start saving for a deposit for a start), this has given me another goal to aim for. I'd like to get my paid out vs paid off ratio as close to 1:1 as possible ... any amount chipped off the high interest debts will make a massive difference. I feel a new column on my spreadsheet coming on!
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    GeorgianaCavendish Posts: 2,387 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 8 June 2018 at 12:39PM
    Options
    Not a bargain this week but sharing a few of the things I've done to Make More Money.

1. Cashback site. I've been using TopCashBack for about 18 months and I've made hundreds back in cashback. Mainly these have been bonus payments on financial products, such as insurance or credit card applications or big purchases like flights or furniture, but I've also had decent amounts for the more everyday type of purchases. It is so easy to set up an account and once you are in the habit of going to the cashback site before buying anything online.

2. Survey sites. I know some people go nuts with survey sites but I don't have the time or patience, so I've got three that work for me. I like Ipsos i-say , YouGov and Prolific Academic. I get email alerts about new surveys from Ipsos i-say and YouGov and I check Prolific Academic when I get a chance. It takes a while to build up to a cash out but surveys have taken the place of pointless social media scrolling on my coffee breaks, so it has been worth it for me. In the last 18 months I've had £80 in Amazon vouchers from Ipsos i-say ; £50 cash out from YouGov and £120 from Prolific Academic.

3. Focus Groups. If you have some flexibility in your schedule and can spend a few hours in an evening giving your opinion at a Focus Group they are worth it. In the last 18 months I've received almost £400 from Focus Groups! My father in law did one about cars and got £300 for his trouble.

4. Tesco Vouchers! Forget using the ClubCard vouchers for shopping, visit the ClubCard website and see what else you can use them for. We got a 2Together RailCard to give us a discount on train fares, usually this is around £30 but we only had to spend £12.50 of ClubCard vouchers. We've also used them to get entry to a safari park, usual price would've been something like £60 for the two of us.

5. Complain! Especially about banking problems. I used to let lots of things slide but bringing genuinely bad service to the attention of the bank is actually quite profitable. I had a £75 compensation payment from my bank after they failed to resolve a minor issue I was having with my debt card. All I had to do was fill out an online form and I got an apology and a payment within the week.

6. Ebay. I was amazed what a market there was for some of the things I was clearing out. It has been a while since I did a big Ebay purge but last year I made around £1200 on selling things on ebay. TBH I don't think that feat will be repeated because that was a major clear out of our stuff plus childhood things at both sets of parents! My sister has also had a decent amount of success selling old VHS, DVD, CDs and cassette tapes on ebay and Music Magpie, especially with fairly niche interest items (a lot of our cousin's wrestling videos from the 90s did really well; and we sold our 1980s My Little Pony toys for a good amount - one of them went for £70 to a collector, apparently it was really rare!)

Until a few months ago, I used to use this kind of money for debt repayments (or in a tight spot, to tide me over until payday) but I've stopped doing that because it really does fluctuate so much. Instead, I've started saving this kind of "bonus" money for Christmas or to put towards a holiday so that I feel that we're getting a treat with it but if we don't have it then we are forgoing a luxury rather than failing to make an essential expense.
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Had a conversation about our aspirations to move home next year, especially given the unpleasant realisation about travel costs (we both work in Zone 1 and moving from Zone 4 to Zone 5 would be an additional £500 per year for each of us). This is before serious calculations about increases in other bills that would come with a larger property.

Our current thinking is to stay in our flat until our lease expires (31st Dec 2019) but from 31st Dec this year we "practice" by putting the difference into a savings account. Then by the time we are looking to move, we will be used to the increased living costs and have a pot of money saved to help with moving costs. Also by the end of 2019 I should have repaid my student loan, so some of our additional expenses will be offset by the increase in my net salary.

We might change our minds again but this feels like a more grown-up and measured approach to moving.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    That sounds incredibly sensible, and will give you such a good chunk of cash behind you when you move. Presumably something like cycling to and from a zone 4 station isn't feasible?
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Mum2Nan
    Mum2Nan Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 June 2018 at 6:04AM
    Options
    Had a conversation about our aspirations to move home next year, especially given the unpleasant realisation about travel costs (we both work in Zone 1 and moving from Zone 4 to Zone 5 would be an additional £500 per year for each of us). This is before serious calculations about increases in other bills that would come with a larger property.

Our current thinking is to stay in our flat until our lease expires (31st Dec 2019) but from 31st Dec this year we "practice" by putting the difference into a savings account. Then by the time we are looking to move, we will be used to the increased living costs and have a pot of money saved to help with moving costs. Also by the end of 2019 I should have repaid my student loan, so some of our additional expenses will be offset by the increase in my net salary.

We might change our minds again but this feels like a more grown-up and measured approach to moving.

Was unable to sleep last night so finished reading through your diary. A good read! It does feel good to hit milestones so well done on getting under £30K.

I feel your pain regarding travel expenses. I too work in Zone 1 but live slightly out of the zones so am reliant on Sh*teastern and TLG. I pay for an annual ticket via an interest free STL from work which works out £35 cheaper per month than paying for a monthly ticket. Not sure about TfL if on the tube though. I have also submitted around 8 Delay Repay claims because of the terrible service since the new timetable amounting to around £20. Am still waiting for them to hit my PayPal account. Sorry if this option is not available to you.
    BC1: 1460 1065 730 365 £0
    BC2: 4116 3999 3899 3799 3699 3599 3499 3299 2979 2659 2399 2019 £0
    Halifax MC: 10208.14 9895 9645 9277.33 8890.12 £5998253.95 7666.74 7239.53 7015.24 £0
    TSB Loan: 3083.34 2902.70 2721.98 2540.59 2358.17 2,175.38 1991.32 1807.63 1,623.54 1431.38 1158.28 928.88 716.06 502.72 287.77 74.43 £0
    Barclays Finance: 1049 961.58 874.16 786.94 699.32 611.60 524.48 437.06 349.64 262.22 174.80 87.38 £0
    MBNA: 7105 6925 6745 6565 6385 6205 5830 5050 4800 4300 3800 3300 2800 2300 1800 £1300
    Total Debt at highest December 2017: £28,929.14/£1300 + new debt: £3850 / Emergency Fund £4450
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback