Edinburgh City Centre is becoming a dump

Options

Comments

• maggiesoup1
    maggiesoup1 Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    fewcloudy wrote: »
    Born and bred here, love it! I mean, I really love it and proud of it, wouldn't stay anywhere else. Not remotely interested in whether someone living here has a Scottish accent or not, really?
    Most capital cities of the world would be the same; exactly what you'd expect in a cosmopolitan metropolis ;)

10 years ago I would have said exactly the same, so proud of being from Edinburgh but, as recently seen in Malaga, it is not like any other cosmopolitan city, it's now a tip. For an UNESCO city, it's an embarrassment.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    which was being perfectly well serviced with the wonderful airport bus

<splutter> You were doing quite well up to that point..! :D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    fewcloudy wrote: »
    Born and bred here, love it! I mean, I really love it and proud of it, wouldn't stay anywhere else. Not remotely interested in whether someone living here has a Scottish accent or not, really?
    Most capital cities of the world would be the same; exactly what you'd expect in a cosmopolitan metropolis ;)

It's not a proper capital city - it's inhabitants voted against being that in 2014!

It's got third rate transport infrastructure ( I even recall Edinburgh Council with the begging bowl out to pay for the trams) to say nothing of all the awful cobbles and pointless 20mph speed limit.
  • maggiesoup1
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. Add the hundreds of pot holes too - let's move to Malaga.
  • fewcloudy
    fewcloudy Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Good. Close the door on your way out...
    Feb 2008, 20year lifetime tracker with "Sproggit and Sylvester"... 0.14% + base for 2 years, then 0.99% + base for life of mortgage...base was 5.5% in 2008...but not for long. Credit to my mortgage broker
  • maggiesoup1
    Options
    Yes, and it's posters like you we're trying to get away from too.
  • koalakoala
    koalakoala Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Totally agree. Can't move on the pavements for beggars. It is so scruffy now
  • bluebear36
    Options
    :beer:
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    It's not a proper capital city - it's inhabitants voted against being that in 2014!

It's got third rate transport infrastructure ( I even recall Edinburgh Council with the begging bowl out to pay for the trams) to say nothing of all the awful cobbles and pointless 20mph speed limit.

As a resident of Edinburgh for decades, I don't recall ever voting, let along being asked about, whether Edinburgh should still be Scotland's capital city. No mention on Google of that either. Do you actually mean the independence referendum which was for something completely different?

As for transport - I use several bus services daily and can't say that I have a problem with the service from Lothian Buses. They've just won Scottish Bus Operator of 2018, so must be doing something right.

Do you even live in Edinburgh? If so, you sound dreadfully uninformed!!
  • bluebear36
    Options
    batg wrote: »
    Been to Edinburgh twice in the last 4 months and was astounded at the lack of Scottish accents. I could have been in any city in the world, and I did not like it.
    And you are right, the tat they sell on Princes Street is horrible. Not a single Scottish person working in any of those shops either.

That'll be all the English living in Edinburgh, who realise that they'll get a lower crime rate and better standard of living here, than in the majority of English cities.

Can't say I've ever noticed non-Scots in the Princes Street stores, as I always seem to be served by Scottish staff. When you visit London, do you always expect to be served in shops by people with London accents? If not, why do you expect it in Edinburgh?
  • fuzz
    fuzz Posts: 597 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If there is a petition I would sign it. The rubbish problem is getting worse. Something needs to be done
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure