New but not new - Year 1 of 5!

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,243 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    You are on a roll.
    No surprises there then :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • So.... it's Monday again. I've packed breakfast and lunch and.can make dinner from storecupboard/freezer goodies. Am thinking some sort of Morroccan chicken thing as I have chickpeas and dried apricots in abundance.

I've brought in a utility bill to enable me to go to the building society and open an old fashioned passbook savings account. The interest is not the best on offer but I find online accounts to easy to raid sometimes! Plus, the branch is next door to the little Mr Ts that I use for top up shops at lunchtime so am hoping it will act as a subliminal deterrent to spend extra in there as I have to walk past it and could deposit a couple of ££ instead. So, opening that account is my MFW job for today and trying for another NSD.

Have a good one, and for anyone back at school today with either work or children, good luck!!
  • Trying to work out if I followed the previous you!
    Ouch re the hip! Will subscribe!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • I'm now the proud owner of a cash ISA with an old fashioned passbook!! It has a whole £10 in it....but it's a start!! This is just for the odds and ends that would ordinarily just get eaten up in everyday spending but will now become a home to things like my council tax on Feb and march. Nothing exciting but it's part of the plan!

I do also have a regular saving investment account that I pay £100 a month into and plan on increasing that in due course, but not until summer next year.

I've made a start on some really detailed savings and overpayment projections and targets for the full 5 year period. All I need to do is to implement them!! The more I look at them, though, the more I want to achieve!! I am my own worst enemy sometimes and need to remember that MFW burnout is not what I'm after!!
  • I'm sure you won't 'burn out'....five years is only sixty months....it goes really quickly!! :eek:

I must admit that I get far too excited and seem to think of nothing else when I first decide to do something.....that's why I'm going to make sure I come on the boards every day to help keep the motivation. ;) It is exciting though....the thought of having no mortgage and still being young enough to enjoy it is outstanding :D

Love the idea of a passbook account - wouldn't be any good for me as my nearest bank is miles away but I do agree that online banking makes it far too easy to access....although I'm grateful for the ability to do tillytidies!! :rotfl:
  • Oh I will still have the online accounts too for some things...sweeping small amounts over is definitely an advantage and I will continue to do that, but I'm hoping that going a bit retro with a passbook will also help. Time will tell!!

As for burnout, squirrel, you've clearly never seen me in action :rotfl::rotfl:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,243 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Be frightened squirell~~when new but not new is on a mission she is indeed on a mission & is a legend :grin:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • I love the passbook idea too. Online accounts have always been too easy for me to access :(
    Take care of the here and now and the future will be taken care of.
  • Hardly a legend beanie, but thank you!!

I've only ever been as good as those around me and people like you have stuck with me for over 10 years...... you're the real legends xx
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    If she's who I think she might be, she's deffo a legend!

Welcome back to MSE!
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure