Lloyds/Halifax Closing HELP!

Hi

I want some help with a bank issue i'm having.

So the other week, I had to go to Lloyds due to suspected 'internet fraud' on my account. I went to branch, gave my ID, but also submitted a complaint due to being misadvised regarding this 'incident'.
Now the complaint has been resolved, but Lloyds/Halifax have sent me a letter Referenced HR/WN to say that they will be unable to maintain a banking relationship with me.
Also, any further products i open through Lloyds/Halifax will be closed.

Today I received yet another letter, detailing that my credit card will be cancelled. My parents also received the same letter.
My issues are:
The Credit Card is actually used by me, has a balance.
The Lloyds bank account was being used as a savings current account. No wages were going in/out of the account so it might have potentially been flagged up as suspicious? idk
The Halifax account was never used so I get why they are shutting that.

I called them and asked what the reason is, they said that they could not see, and a complaint would probably not reveal the reason.
I am mainly worried about a CIFAS mark due to holding current accounts elsewhere which I don't want to lose. Will a CIFAS warning already be revealed by a SAR?

Also the notice period is 65 days. Just wondering what you guys would advise!

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Nothing stopping you from submitting a SAR to CIFAS but I believe that if there was a fraud issue then you'd have had the accounts closed immediately without 60+ days notice.

No point in speculating about reasons - they won't tell you and they don't have to, which inevitably causes some angst and indignation, but, especially if you have other accounts, best just to accept it and move on.

Have they never given any clue about the 'internet fraud' that they were investigating and do you know nothing about what aroused their suspicion?
    I want some help with a bank issue i'm having.
    Some of us of a certain generation were brought up that 'I want doesn't get', don't let it become a habit! ;)
  • WeAreValiant
    WeAreValiant Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 17 May 2018 at 8:22PM
    Whoops, phrased original post wrong! My bad :)
    The only thing im a bit peeved about is that the credit card in question was about to be used for a huge purchase.
    The only thing I know about the internet fraud is this:
    I was switching to the Halifax from Nationwide
    The switch in question was cancelled, got put through to fraud when called
    Fraud eventually coughed up that it was because of internet fraud and a large amount of transactions in regards to my actual income
    Went into branch to clarify this with my ID
    All sorted

To be fair, the exact same thing with the same bank has happened twice. Might just check with CIFAS and if nothing comes back just let it go.

UPDATE: Forgot to say, they have blacklisted me from ever being a customer as well as per their letter so i'm quite confused
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Whoops, phrased original post wrong! My bad :)
    The only thing im a bit peeved about is that the credit card in question was about to be used for a huge purchase.
    The only thing I know about the internet fraud is this:
    I was switching to the Halifax from Nationwide
    The switch in question was cancelled, got put through to fraud when called
    Fraud eventually coughed up that it was because of internet fraud and a large amount of transactions in regards to my actual income
    Went into branch to clarify this with my ID
    All sorted

To be fair, the exact same thing with the same bank has happened twice. Might just check with CIFAS and if nothing comes back just let it go.

UPDATE: Forgot to say, they have blacklisted me from ever being a customer as well as per their letter so i'm quite confused

Can you upload a photo of the letter?
  • WeAreValiant
    WeAreValiant Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Sorry new forum user so it won't let me post the image directly.

It is at the following link:
    i.imgur.com/5GYx9P2.png

Same letter from Halifax then another that says my Halifax credit card will close in 65 days.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

Given your lack of account activity, two "incidents" and submiting a complaint. You are probably deemed not worth having as a customer. Purely a commercial decision.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Care to share more about the 'incident' which you were advised on?
    Were you abusive at all to a member of staff - if it was a telephone contact they will have a recording of the call.
  • No not at all! By incident I mean they blocked me for fraud on 2 separate occasions sorry for poor phrasing.
    The last time however they mis advised me so I just went through to complaints.
    Wasn't anything to do with abuse to customer service though
  • tg99
    tg99 Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    In the first instance I would ask Lloyds to confirm if they have added a CIFAS marker against you. You may have to do this as part of a complaint to get an answer from them.
  • Sorry new forum user so it won't let me post the image directly.

It is at the following link:
    i.imgur.com/5GYx9P2.png

Same letter from Halifax then another that says my Halifax credit card will close in 65 days.
    Sure sucks to be you right now, doesn't it? :o
    :o
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    A similar thread from 2015: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5202564.

Perhaps the best update is message 69. But no definitive reason for the closure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure