Help please- even MPAS don't know who my gas supplier is...

Emuchops
Emuchops Posts: 799 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Called MPAS as I've recently bought a house and couldn't find out who the gas supplier is. They say my address/meter isn't registered (house is very old-not a new build)) and told me to approach the gas supplier of my choice to register. Surely the previous occupants haven't been having 'free' gas for the last 20+ years? Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Comments

• Terresa
    Terresa Posts: 41 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Emuchops wrote: »
    Called MPAS as I've recently bought a house and couldn't find out who the gas supplier is. They say my address/meter isn't registered (house is very old-not a new build)) and told me to approach the gas supplier of my choice to register. Surely the previous occupants haven't been having 'free' gas for the last 20+ years? Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

You will need to find a solicitor to investigate the solicitor that allowed you to purchase the property knowing there was an issue over the lack of specified gas supplier, but didn't alert you to this fact and what your options are.

:cool:
  • Terresa
    Name Dropper First Post
    In your thread last week you were told it was EDF

I wanted to link you to that thread, but I'm not allowed to. However I'm sure you remember what you posted last week ... or perhaps you don't?
  • Emuchops
    Terresa wrote: »
    In your thread last week you were told it was EDF

I wanted to link you to that thread, but I'm not allowed to. However I'm sure you remember what you posted last week ... or perhaps you don't?

I was told it was EDF by the previous owners via the conveyancer, but EDF said it wasn't them and the Meter Point Administration Service confirmed that it's simply not registered with a supplier and that I just need to pick a supplier of my choice and start from there.....
  • Terresa
    Name Dropper First Post
    I was told it was EDF by the previous owners via the conveyancer, but EDF said it wasn't them and the Meter Point Administration Service confirmed that it's simply not registered with a supplier and that I just need to pick a supplier of my choice and start from there.....

I understood the previous owner told you it was the co-op :cool:
    I bought a house 7 weeks ago and still haven't found put who supplies my gas. I rang Co op energy (the previous owner said it was them) - they denied all knowledge (although they DO supply my electricity), asked for my meter number, looked it up on a database and said it was EDF. Rang EDF-said it was not them-couldn't find it on the database - no idea who it may be-told me to wait for a 'Welcome pack' - 7 weeks on, still nothing. Apart from waiting for a bill is there anything else that I can do? Thanks.
  • Emuchops
    Terresa wrote: »
    I understood the previous owner told you it was the co-op :cool:

Yes-you're right- thanks, then Co op said it was EDF, any suggestions Terresa?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    What do do next you ask ? Follow the advise of MPAS as below .....

.............said it wasn't them and the Meter Point Administration Service confirmed that it's simply not registered with a supplier and that I just need to pick a supplier of my choice and start from there.....
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Surely the previous occupants haven't been having 'free' gas for the last 20+ years? Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

It can happen! Somebody my Dad knew found out only after his father died, that his father had had free gas all the time he lived in his house. The son contacted BG (the only gas supplier then) about the change of ownership, BG knew nothing about gas being supplied to the property. If the father had told the son about his free gas, the son would also be enjoying the benefit.........
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Emuchops
    Slinky wrote: »
    It can happen! Somebody my Dad knew found out only after his father died, that his father had had free gas all the time he lived in his house. The son contacted BG (the only gas supplier then) about the change of ownership, BG knew nothing about gas being supplied to the property. If the father had told the son about his free gas, the son would also be enjoying the benefit.........

Thanks Slinky-so it's not just me then. I've done some research and apparently if no company is registered as the gas supplier to the property, once you register with a supplier they can only bill from the date that you registered as they have no right to claim for the gas retrospectively as they didn't supply it so they aren't out of pocket (worried that as the homeowner I'll somehow be liable for all the previous gas usage-illogical but a worry nonetheless). I guess I should register.........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure