Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End

Options

Comments

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    davethorp wrote: »
    Yeah its definitely strange and a huge issue with the smart meter roll out. Sure I can get why there wouldn’t be communications between the meters and energy suppliers when you move if systems aren’t in place to accomodate this. But why there cant still be communication between the smart energy monitor and the meters I don’t know. Nothing has changed in terms of the connections between those devices.

In the mean time I have a very nice British Gas branded paperweight
    So are people saying that once you leave BG, their smart meter in-house display no longer functions at all?
    I only got the smart meters installed to make reading my meters easy (which I do daily, just for my own interest). Back to reading them manually I suppose, if the IHD ceases to function after I leave them.

I know an ex E.On customer with their smart meters and they can still use the IHD to get meter readings.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Wilt
    Wilt Posts: 100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 September 2017 at 9:37PM
    Options
    My switch from BG went through a couple of days ago and my IHD is still operating - obviously the tariff values aren't correct but KWh and meter readings seem to be working fine.

We'll see if it turns off in a week or so...
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sam1974 wrote: »
    Electric useage 11939 - gas usage 7413 kWh
    Similar electricity usage, but I use about a third of that gas use -(even though the missus usually whacks the central heating far higher than I like for most of the winter).
    Cannot fine good electric prices anywhere :( gas prices not much different tbh

Not cheap here.
    British gas currently £1,381/year

Npower quote £1,754/yr

The people's energy quote £1,886.11
    British Gas £720/year. (until 3rd oct)
    Green Network Energy £780/year with other small indie companies a few quid more
    EDF collective £865
    npower £946

EDF collective comes cheaper than other EDF tariffs (for my usage) but a lot more than the small indies.

Decisions. I went from EDF to BG collective switch, so EDF seems the safe choice, but big savings can be made with going for a smaller company.
  • Anonymously
    Options
    I am showing that EON will be cheaper by far than the new collective, low user I guess.
  • singhini
    Options
    I've decided, even though IRESA are the cheapest (+£54 compared to current BG deal ending 3rd Oct), I am still going to switch to Bulb (+£80 compared to current BG deal ending 3rd Oct).

Why: (A) their 100% renewable, (B) I'm not tied in so can move (C) they will pay any exit fees if BG do try to get one over on me (D) i cant cope with researching into all these deals anymore, I need my life back!

I'm going to initiate the switch on Thursday 28th September (closest I'm now willing to go to the end date of 3rd Oct) [any later and I suspect I will be part of the stampede who experience an issue with switching]
  • Tharweb
    Tharweb Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I pulled the trigger and went for Npower. After the £60 Topcashback (which has tracked) they come out £16 cheaper than the cheapest no name, OneSelect. Not worth hanging on for the few quid I'd save, plus the TCB ends in 3 days.
    This site has saved me a fortune :money: ...it's also cost me a fortune! :doh:
    © Tharweb 2006 :D
  • fredandwilma
    Options
    singhini wrote: »
    I've decided, even though IRESA are the cheapest (+£54 compared to current BG deal ending 3rd Oct), I am still going to switch to Bulb (+£80 compared to current BG deal ending 3rd Oct).

Why: (A) their 100% renewable, (B) I'm not tied in so can move (C) they will pay any exit fees if BG do try to get one over on me (D) i cant cope with researching into all these deals anymore, I need my life back!

I'm going to initiate the switch on Thursday 28th September (closest I'm now willing to go to the end date of 3rd Oct) [any later and I suspect I will be part of the stampede who experience an issue with switching]

You do however, need to keep an eye on your tariff. Although Bulb has dropped prices twice, they only have one tariff, a variable tariff and with no fixed tariffs, prices could equally, rise.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • mikeizz
    mikeizz Posts: 60 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am showing that EON will be cheaper by far than the new collective, low user I guess.

I am the same situation, are we missing something as to why this isn't being mentioned instead of EDF?!
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Still not wanting to pull the trigger until my full BG has run it's course as nothing is anywhere near as low as this rate. Either prices in the meantime will rise or drop. In the past I have been caught out by fixing and then they all dropped (against Martin's predictions of them all rising)
  • fredandwilma
    Options
    mikeizz wrote: »
    I am the same situation, are we missing something as to why this isn't being mentioned instead of EDF?!

It depends on regional variations.

For a small minority of people, E.on can very often be cheaper than other companies, (thankfully).
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills