PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• MankyVegSoup
    Options
    This weekend I bought a ham hock (£4.95). So far we have had ham with green lentils & carrots (with 1 portion left over for lunch), spaghetti (sort of) carbonara plus about 6 portions of ham and lentil soup for lunches/freezing. And there's still some ham left over.

Any ideas apart from more soup? Preferably something I can freeze.......
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We have enough cold cooked pork left for another two portion meal today (from a YS loin joint I got from Mr.T for £3.15p). On Sunday we had a lovely roast dinner, yesterday I used half of the cooked meat to make two large rissoles which were delicious and today I will make sweet and sour pork served with stir fried veg that I already have in the fridge, a sachet of stir fry sauce from the store and some basmati rice that we always have in. The sweet and sour sauce will be from ingredients we already have in too. If we want pudding I have some blueberries and half a tin of light custard and I'll make a blueberry fool. Lunch will also be home made in the form of Baked Bean Soup to use up some cooking bacon in the fridge and tins of baked beans and tomatoes from the store, all of the above is real comfort food for this colder weather and I won't have to go out into the cold to get any of it, hoorah!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Lunch today is parsnip and apple soup from the freezer and tonight I am out at quiz night so no cooking as the meal comes with the price of the quiz £2.00 great night out with laughs and food can't be beaten :)

Slowly getting some room in the freezer
    Cheers chums
    JackieO xx
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Apologies as I am one of those who has occasionally hit the spam button by mistake when scrolling on the iPad. But the system does alert you to what you have done and gives you an opportunity to recant, which I always do. Surely leaving a spam notification in place must be deliberate? Or maybe the notification could be bigger and shoutier?
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Still trying to clear some food backlog.

Yesterday I decided to make what we call "Granddad Pie" - a form of corned beef hash that my dad used to make. I thought i would use up some frozen mashed potato with it. Then discovered I didn't have any...

So I made some more mash - throwing in a few bits of the frozen squash glut I have - and now have some left over. it's like a never-ending cycle. But today it's just me here for tea so i am having some leftover beef casserole that I'd frozen, the leftover mash and the ends of a white and red cabbage. I have some bacon to use up (the 'children' had opened two packs :( ) so might throw some of that in the cabbage mix...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Its a never ending cycle isn't it at times I too am using up stuff from the freezer and have got two chicken thighs out and they are defrosting in the fridge for tonight's dinner I shall use some of the herby mash also from the freezer tonight, and steam some sweetheart cabbage and some carrots for the side veg.I have a feeling there is some asparagus in the bottom drawer of the freezer so I may dig that out and steam it as well.I am determined to get my freezer empty and defrosted so I am not buying any meat or fish to go in there until I have used up what I have .I know there are two lamb shanks in there and I will wait until my friend comes down from Dartford for the day and defrost and cook them for our dinner in the SC. This Saturdays soup will be made with a large pack of chunky mixed veg that was y/s last October Its gotta go :):):)

Have a good and frugal day chums

JackieO xxx
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Using up 3rd of a bag of french beans and some frozen Tuna steaks in Niçoise salad tonight - freezing cold wind here, shouldn’t be eating salad, but craving green stuff....
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Ginmonster
    Options
    I made a lovely dhal yesterday with all the wrinkly bits of veg in the fridge - beetroot, onion, swede and squash. I also had half a tin of coconut milk to use up and I managed to finish off a packet of dried split chickpeas I've had for eons. Oh, and half a lemon that needed using up. It was delicious and a lovely pink colour from the beetroot. My 5 year decided it was 'Yum! Delicious!' and I even ate it without adding extra chilli (I prefer a hot curry usually). I've frozen a couple of portions for a future date too.
  • lickylonglips
    Options
    I've had a tidy out of my cupboards and found so much out of date stuff that I had to bite the bullet and throw a lot of it away. I know this isn't in the spirit of love food hate waste, but I'll never be able to get to half of my stuff if I don't clear some of the ¢rap out.

Now that everything is easy to get to and is in date, I can start using stuff up.

I've used a packet of dried potato and a tin of tomato soup up today already, so onwards and upwards!!!
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve made green soup this morning :) from half a bag of spinach and a lettuce my neighbour passed on to me as she was going away for a few days, two leeks leftover from last week, the rest of the bag of frozen courgettes I opened on Sunday, lots of nutmeg and a stock cube. Blended it when it was cooked and served it with a teaspnful of double dream swirled in( also a gift from my neighbour). Really delicious.
    I am thoroughly enjoying the challenge of finding ways of using things up. Many thanks JackieO!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback