Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • langfordclose
    • By langfordclose 17th Jul 19, 10:00 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    langfordclose
    0 WOW
    Car Hire company charged us for insurance when we already had paid for it
    • 17th Jul 19, 10:00 AM
    0 WOW
    Car Hire company charged us for insurance when we already had paid for it 17th Jul 19 at 10:00 AM
    We booked and paid for car hire through a broker (DoYouSpain) and paid for their full insurance package so that we would not have to pay again or leave the hefty credit card fee when we collected the car. When we collected the car we were asked for a credit card this was the only time they spoke to us as their English was very limited - we were told so it was held but no money to be taken - we get home and find money was taken . we have contacted them and they say we signed to agree to an extra insurance being taken. We explained we did not as there was no mention of an insurance as we showed them the certificate already purchased from their broker and the only thing we signed was for the car, they have now stopped replying - what can we do? Surely this is theft?
Page 2
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 19th Jul 19, 1:13 AM
    • 2,327 Posts
    • 1,173 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    In your excited rush to try and defend the car hire industry, you failed to note the OP didn't refuse to leave a deposit. They provided a credit card and were told money would be held but not taken.

This is fairly standard hire car company practice. The OPs complaint seems to be that they were duped into buying additional insurance which they probably signed for.

And insisting this is not a scam is just semantics. It is sharp practice at best and is something these companies have to do to turn a profit out of unsustainably low headline prices.
    Originally posted by cubegame
    I didn't miss it and I don't rush. You do.

We booked and paid for car hire through a broker (DoYouSpain) and paid for their full insurance package so that we would not have to pay again or leave the hefty credit card fee when we collected the car
    Their own words.

Once again, if they have a receipt for the authorisation, they have a course of action.

It's you who is in such a rush to attack. So your comments are totally unhelpful to the OP and anyone else.

Let's look at what you wrote;

You were scammed. I suspect you didn't read every single piece of info against which you signed.

The car hire industry works like this (sadly) so they can offer low headline rates.
    So they were scammed because they didn't read the info that DoYouSpain told them to read before agreeing?
    DoYouSpain's advertisement is misleading, but reading the Additional Statement, which is in plain English, would have made it clear that they had to leave a deposit for possible damage.
    Then you assume that they were scammed again by the car hirer, but you have no idea if they had enough available credit for the excess amount. Especially as they didn't have an intention of doing so in the first place.

When they come back to the thread and state that they agree for the deposit to be held, then we can ask if they obtained a CC slip.

There comes a point where people have to take responsibility, rather than shouting scam.

You might note that the OP is complaining on another thread about their money being stolen from the hand luggage that they left stowed in the luggage compartment of a coach.

Of course people are asking why they wouldn't keep their money with them.

So no, I'm coming down on the side of responsibility for your actions.

You'll be blaming the airline industry for dodgy travel agents next.
    • Jumblebumble
    • By Jumblebumble 26th Jul 19, 7:07 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    Jumblebumble
    You clearly don't have the slightest clue about what you are writing.
    The brokers are not selling insurance policies on behalf of the car hirer. They are selling the policies on behalf of an independent insurance broker and themselves. Absolutely nothing to do with the car hirer.

The car hirers themselves don't sell insurance. They simply sell waivers. In other words, waiving your responsibility to have to pay for certain damages

Best to do your research before posting. It's on all of us to scrutinise to what we agree..
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    Well all I can say is that Cartrawler sell what you call a waiver underwritten by AXA known as USA Car Hire – Additional Cover but they
    have in this contract
    "This insurance contract is between you and us. Any
    person or company who is not party to this policy has no
    right to enforce any condition of this policy"

Did you read what the OP wrote who one assumes knows who sold them the insurance ?

"We explained we did not as there was no mention of an insurance as we showed them the certificate already purchased from their broker"

As cubegame said
    The OPs complaint seems to be that they were duped into buying additional insurance which they probably signed for.

No where did I suggest that any type of insurance would negate the need to leave a deposit .
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 26th Jul 19, 8:35 PM
    • 2,327 Posts
    • 1,173 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Well all I can say is that Cartrawler sell what you call a waiver underwritten by AXA known as USA Car Hire Additional Cover but they
    have in this contract
    "This insurance contract is between you and us. Any
    person or company who is not party to this policy has no
    right to enforce any condition of this policy"

Did you read what the OP wrote who one assumes knows who sold them the insurance ?

"We explained we did not as there was no mention of an insurance as we showed them the certificate already purchased from their broker"

As cubegame said
    The OPs complaint seems to be that they were duped into buying additional insurance which they probably signed for.

No where did I suggest that any type of insurance would negate the need to leave a deposit .
    Originally posted by Jumblebumble
    No, it is what you call a waiver. It is insurance.

I have already explained it to you. I am not going to do it again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

2,617Users online

Martin's Twitter