Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • spencer999
    • By spencer999 4th Jul 19, 10:52 AM
    • 72Posts
    • 9Thanks
    spencer999
    0 WOW
    beach holiday NOT in euro - emphasis on cheap! Romania? Moldova?
    • 4th Jul 19, 10:52 AM
    0 WOW
    beach holiday NOT in euro - emphasis on cheap! Romania? Moldova? 4th Jul 19 at 10:52 AM
    Hiya folks, looking for an ultra cheap holiday somewhere that's:
    not too far
    NOT in the euro
    got a beach
    warm
    not Turkey (for reasons I am happy to discuss elsewhere)

happy to consider unusual places with raggedy paper currency

My OH works in a bureau de change and she says Croatia is top of the charts and not cheap at all,

Estonia isn't cheap I hear and difficult for me to fly to anyway

What about Romania, Bulgaria, Moldova, Montenegro, anyone got an idea on how cheap or how awful their resorts are?
    OR is there a guide you recommend where I can do my own research so you don't think I'm just being lazy

THANKYOUPLEASE
Page 1
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 4th Jul 19, 11:41 AM
    • 13,235 Posts
    • 9,107 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 4th Jul 19, 11:41 AM
    • 4th Jul 19, 11:41 AM
    Your list of possibilities should also include Tunisia, Morocco and Egypt.

And then there is the coastal city of Batumi in Georgia: flights to Georgia (Kutaisi) from Luton are very cheap and about three hours, and costs once you are there are very low. I did not get anywhere near Batumi but loved Georgia.

Another very cheap country with a coast on the Black Sea is Ukraine: it is now served by Ryanair.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 4th Jul 19, 12:14 PM
    • 19,039 Posts
    • 8,042 Thanks
    richardw
    • 4th Jul 19, 12:14 PM
    • 4th Jul 19, 12:14 PM
    United Kingdom
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Toucan_toucan
    • By Toucan_toucan 4th Jul 19, 12:50 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Toucan_toucan
    • 4th Jul 19, 12:50 PM
    • 4th Jul 19, 12:50 PM
    My friends went to Bulgaria last year (the inevitable Sunny Beach) and loved it so much they're going back this year. They usually go to Turkey.

Croatia is beautiful and cheaper than here but not as cheap as you'd hope. Lots of the resorts tend to be half board though, so even if they look expensive you're often getting meals included.
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 4th Jul 19, 4:18 PM
    • 3,262 Posts
    • 1,646 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 4th Jul 19, 4:18 PM
    • 4th Jul 19, 4:18 PM
    Balkan Holidays appear to have a lot of cheap holidays available in the next few weeks, it won't be sophisticated but it will be hot. Bulgaria is on my list of 'never again' destinations but clearly, a lot of people love it.
    • jimbo6977
    • By jimbo6977 4th Jul 19, 8:13 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    jimbo6977
    • 4th Jul 19, 8:13 PM
    • 4th Jul 19, 8:13 PM
    Bulgarian Lev is pegged to the Euro so the exchange rate issue applies just the same.

Fly to Gdansk and go to one of the Polish sea resorts. Weather normally hot this time of year but the sea is the Baltic so not nearly as warm as the Med.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 6th Jul 19, 10:46 AM
    • 14,347 Posts
    • 12,600 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 6th Jul 19, 10:46 AM
    • 6th Jul 19, 10:46 AM
    Morocco? We got a really good AI in Agadir for around 400pp for a week and that was in the school holidays (Easter). Otherwise eastern Europe is cheap if you sort it yourself but packages seem a bit expensive relatively.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 6th Jul 19, 12:17 PM
    • 1,502 Posts
    • 1,365 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 6th Jul 19, 12:17 PM
    • 6th Jul 19, 12:17 PM
    United Kingdom
    Originally posted by richardw
    It's got some terrible reviews!
    • misscomickat
    • By misscomickat 6th Jul 19, 12:21 PM
    • 539 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    misscomickat
    • 6th Jul 19, 12:21 PM
    • 6th Jul 19, 12:21 PM
    I went to Sunny Beach last year and thought it was awful, and not especially cheap either.
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 6th Jul 19, 1:42 PM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 962 Thanks
    cubegame
    We drove past most of the Bulgarian resorts on a road trip last year. They were all fairly horrible. Avoid!

There are still cheap parts of Greece if you can try to stick to where the Greeks go.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 6th Jul 19, 3:22 PM
    • 13,235 Posts
    • 9,107 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    United Kingdom
    Originally posted by richardw

Nah.

Too expensive, and they don't like foreigners. There is some strange new religion that makes people rude and aggressive: I think it is called Brexit. Seems like a variant of Islamic fundamentalism.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 7th Jul 19, 7:28 AM
    • 6,588 Posts
    • 9,497 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Great VFM in Romania.....but give the beaches a miss and travel round Transylvania by train.
    • spencer999
    • By spencer999 18th Jul 19, 7:11 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    spencer999
    settled on Morocco. Will report back if I get back in one piece
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Jul 19, 10:31 AM
    • 14,347 Posts
    • 12,600 Thanks
    zagfles
    Great VFM in Romania.....but give the beaches a miss and travel round Transylvania by train.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Romania is fab, lovely people, inexpensive, loads to see, great food, a Romance language using Roman alphabet rather than Slavic/Cyrillic so it's a lot easier to understand than other Eastern European languages if you understand a bit of French/Italian.

I expected to see a run down country with loads of poverty from what I'd seen and heard, but it was nothing like that at all.

If you saw the interview with Simona Halep after she won Wimbledon - that's what the people I met were like.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Jul 19, 10:43 AM
    • 14,347 Posts
    • 12,600 Thanks
    zagfles
    Originally posted by spencer999
    Tip - always have a few low denomination notes with you - you will get hassled in touristy places eg Kasbahs with people wanting to give you a guided tour and not understanding la (no), sometimes it's easier to let them do it and give them 10 dirhams or so (less than 1), they seem to be happy with that sort of amount.
    Most cashpoints charge a flat charge of around 15-30 (1-3), so taking out larger amounts is usually better eg 2000
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 18th Jul 19, 12:00 PM
    • 1,623 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    sometimes it's easier to let them do it and give them 10 dirhams or so (less than 1), they seem to be happy with that sort of amount.
    Originally posted by zagfles
    I found that shouting "NO" loudly enough for the tourist police to hear seemed to work for me. Another reason I will never go back to Morocco.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Jul 19, 12:10 PM
    • 14,347 Posts
    • 12,600 Thanks
    zagfles
    I found that shouting "NO" loudly enough for the tourist police to hear seemed to work for me. Another reason I will never go back to Morocco.
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    TBH I didn't find it as bad as the timeshare touts in places like the Canaries, they really were scum after your life savings, not just a couple of .
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 18th Jul 19, 2:22 PM
    • 13,235 Posts
    • 9,107 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Originally posted by bertiewhite

Strange: I found that a polite but firm 'shokran' (thank you) always did the trick.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 19th Jul 19, 12:19 PM
    • 19,039 Posts
    • 8,042 Thanks
    richardw
    Originally posted by spencer999
    Which beach resort?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

489Posts Today

7,513Users online

Martin's Twitter