Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 17th Jul 19, 8:29 PM
    • 7,470Posts
    • 65,049Thanks
    mimi1234
    Wasps Nests AGAIN!
    • 17th Jul 19, 8:29 PM
    Wasps Nests AGAIN! 17th Jul 19 at 8:29 PM
    Bloody hell, is this bad luck or is the house we live in haunted! It's the 7th year on the trot we have had a wasps nest. This one is in the same place it was in about 3 years ago.

Has anyone else had them repeatedly year after year? Could it that the house is rotting or something hence them coming back year after year?

This time it's on top of the attic so it's going to cost a lot to get rid of it like it did a few years ago.

If we put a scarecrow up, would it scare them away? LOL.
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Jul 19, 8:46 PM
    • 48,880 Posts
    • 60,328 Thanks
    G_M
    • 17th Jul 19, 8:46 PM
    • 17th Jul 19, 8:46 PM
    Yeah! You need a scarewasp.

Do you live in the countryside? Even if not, yes, your house is clearly located somewhere near good food sources for them, and provides nice dry hidy-holes.

I have the same problem, but as long as they stay in the attic or similar I let them get on with it - too much hassle to fight them!

edit: just googled. No idea if these work -never tried.....

https://www.yougarden.com/item-p-150052/waspinator-wasp-deterrent-no-more-wasps

One theory is that wasps will avoid hornets nests. Blow up a brown paper bag and staple or tape the top closed. It won't hold air, of course, but it will hold it's inflated shape. You could also stuff it full of something real light weight. Then hang it up under the eaves, porch, or wherever. Supposedly the wasps will think it's a hornets nest and go elsewhere.

https://www.hunker.com/12572638/how-to-make-a-fake-wasp-nest
    Last edited by G_M; 17-07-2019 at 9:07 PM.
    • Tiglet2
    • By Tiglet2 17th Jul 19, 8:54 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    Tiglet2
    • 17th Jul 19, 8:54 PM
    • 17th Jul 19, 8:54 PM
    You need to block the hole that they are using to enter your property!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Jul 19, 9:09 PM
    • 48,880 Posts
    • 60,328 Thanks
    G_M
    • 17th Jul 19, 9:09 PM
    • 17th Jul 19, 9:09 PM
    You need to block the hole that they are using to enter your property!
    Originally posted by Tiglet2
    easier said than done. In my case they get in under/around the tiles.

And atics often have air vents (needed to avoid humidity/damp) so these would all need blocking or wire mesh too.

Old houses eh!?
    • wesleyad
    • By wesleyad 18th Jul 19, 8:20 AM
    • 573 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    wesleyad
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:20 AM
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:20 AM

If we put a scarecrow up, would it scare them away? LOL.
    Originally posted by mimi1234
    You joke, but as GM has posted you literally can get them. We've had them 2 years and they have "worked", in as much as we've had no wasps for the couple of years, but with such anecdotal and limited data I cannot say for sure. But for the price its worth a try!

One thing they say is, they have to be up before the wasps get there, its to put the wasps off deciding to build, it wont stop them returning to an established nest.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Jul 19, 8:52 AM
    • 29,103 Posts
    • 101,456 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:52 AM
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:52 AM
    it wont stop them returning to an established nest.
    Originally posted by wesleyad
    That's something which doesn't happen. Wasps never return to an old nest, but they may build alongside one, especially if there is a good route in/out.
    'Goddamn Europeans! Take me back to beautiful England and the grey, damp filthiness of ages..'
    Polly J Harvey 'The Last Living Rose'
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 18th Jul 19, 8:55 AM
    • 6,332 Posts
    • 2,709 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:55 AM
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:55 AM
    Only ever had 1 and Rentokill wasp killer worked 1st time. Use at dusk.
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 18th Jul 19, 11:30 AM
    • 7,470 Posts
    • 65,049 Thanks
    mimi1234
    • 18th Jul 19, 11:30 AM
    • 18th Jul 19, 11:30 AM
    Thanks all. The brown paper bag theory I have read about, I think they even sell fake nest type objects at B+Q but it's the thought of getting onto the house roof and then trying to navigate myself to the attic and then dangling it there which scares the hell out of me. I've just had a thought, my nephew is up for all kinds of antics, maybe he could. JUST KIDDING.

I've phoned the local council and they have said they will come out. Once it's done and they have cleared off, I've decided to get the whole attic roof done. There seems to be a bit of metal / iron thing (I am not sure what it called) that seems to have edged away from the side and that's where they are going in and out.

We've got loads of flowers in our garden, maybe that's what attracts them? We had another mini infestation in the wall near the garden a few months ago but I was able to sort it out myself with a can of that fancy wasp nest killer. They were gone in a day or two and have not come back there.

Thanks again all for your tips and advice.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 18th Jul 19, 11:35 AM
    • 1,635 Posts
    • 1,839 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 18th Jul 19, 11:35 AM
    • 18th Jul 19, 11:35 AM
    My wife bought a couple of waspinator at the beginning of the year. I laughed at her but we haven't seen a wasp in our garden all summer.

She was told about them by our local outdoor swimming pool who also swear by them.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 18th Jul 19, 1:50 PM
    • 7,209 Posts
    • 6,792 Thanks
    badger09
    OP you're definitely not alone.

Lived in our late 1950s house opposite farmland since 2000 and I can count on the fingers of one hand, the number of years when we haven't had to call in the council's 'wasp man'. In fact, we're on first name terms with 2 of them!

They charge 50 a visit and will treat up 3 nests for that. Some years we've been lucky and really had our money's worth, but others, we've had to pay for multiple visits

If the nest or entry point is accessible, we'll try this first
    https://www.toolandfix.com/doff-dp1074-foaming-wasp-nest-killer-300ml.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQ obChMIvNOggsy-4wIVA7DtCh1byQa9EAQYAyABEgLN1vD_BwE

As G_M said, they get in under the tiles so its impossible to keep them out.

I've just ordered some more nest destroyer as there's obviously another one a few feet from the one destroyed by 'wasp man' on 18th June I'm off now to look at those waspinators. Got to be worth a try.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Jul 19, 1:55 PM
    • 29,103 Posts
    • 101,456 Thanks
    Davesnave
    We had another mini infestation in the wall near the garden a few months ago but I was able to sort it out myself with a can of that fancy wasp nest killer. They were gone in a day or two and have not come back there.
    Originally posted by mimi1234
    There are 7 species of wasp in the UK and I've not known the ones that live in walls, old mouse burrows etc to give trouble. I used to regularly mow over one nest in a lawn, but the wasps in that one never did more than buzz around the entrance, even under provocation, and they usually ignored humans.

Wasps are predators and do a lot of good in the garden, but people only seem to remember the days in late autumn when they get woozy, lose their way and enter houses. Yes, they can be a pain at that time, but it doesn't last long.
    'Goddamn Europeans! Take me back to beautiful England and the grey, damp filthiness of ages..'
    Polly J Harvey 'The Last Living Rose'
    • Niv
    • By Niv 18th Jul 19, 3:24 PM
    • 1,793 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    Niv
    Wasps will not use the same nest after a year and will not build a nest near to an existing wasp nest. Therefore either; leave the old wasps nest in place when you have destroyed the colony or install a 'fake' wasp nest in the location.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
    • DigitalSheppard
    • By DigitalSheppard 19th Jul 19, 6:33 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    DigitalSheppard
    I had a wasp nest in a rental property and went through a private company to have it removed. Cost me less than 40.

Is it worth shopping around for a company which doesn't charge through the roof?
    • wesleyad
    • By wesleyad 19th Jul 19, 9:02 AM
    • 573 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    wesleyad
    That's something which doesn't happen. Wasps never return to an old nest, but they may build alongside one, especially if there is a good route in/out.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    No that's not what I meant, it wont stop wasps coming in to their current nest, it will only stop them building a new one next year. Its a prevention, not a cure.
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 19th Jul 19, 4:42 PM
    • 7,470 Posts
    • 65,049 Thanks
    mimi1234
    I had a wasp nest in a rental property and went through a private company to have it removed. Cost me less than 40.

Is it worth shopping around for a company which doesn't charge through the roof?
    Originally posted by DigitalSheppard
    I have phoned around in the past. The price is steep because it's on the attic roof. Rentokil said they would charge us 300

The first time we had an infestation, it was on the house roof so it only cost 44 but we had a discount card for the local council so got it half price.

We just want them gone to be honest. My brother won't go into his room because he can hear them through the ceiling.
    • Larac
    • By Larac 19th Jul 19, 5:25 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    Larac
    Personally - I would shop around for a quote and get rid. We had a wasps nest in the eaves and everybody said - leave them be - they ended knawing their way through the ceiling

We are also plagued with them - it seems every other year either we get them or the neighbours - always come back to a different spot!
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 19th Jul 19, 5:45 PM
    • 1,808 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    Slithery
    We are also plagued with them - it seems every other year either we get them or the neighbours - always come back to a different spot!
    Originally posted by Larac
    Where have your neighbours been building their nests? Personally I'd have called the police.
    Last edited by Slithery; 19-07-2019 at 5:54 PM.
    • Missus Hyde
    • By Missus Hyde 19th Jul 19, 7:09 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    Missus Hyde
    We had a huge wasps' nest in the stables, which my husband uses as a workshop. They were very active and defensive of it, but we got some wasp nest killer foam from Wilko's and sprayed it in the evening at dusk over two consecutive nights when they had all returned to the nest.

That really did the trick, although it made rather a mess and we did have a lot of corpses to get rid of.
    It's a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known........Sydney Carton.
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 15th Aug 19, 11:10 AM
    • 7,470 Posts
    • 65,049 Thanks
    mimi1234
    So the Council came and said they could not get rid of it. He wanted to drill big holes into the attic wall and what not and the end cost would have been close to 1000 because building services would also have to come around.

The wasps seem to have done a runner now. It's not that noisy in the room and I can't seem to see any coming and going.

Thanks for all the advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,888Posts Today

5,711Users online

Martin's Twitter