Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Josh_7
    • By Josh_7 19th Jul 19, 7:08 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Josh_7
    Santander Personal Loans
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:08 PM
    Santander Personal Loans 19th Jul 19 at 7:08 PM
    Hi,

I was hoping for some advice and to see if anyone else has been in the same situation.

I applied for a personal loan today for the sum of £7,500 over 4 years with santander hoping to get the advertised rate of 3.0% APR.
    They came back with acceptance within 30 minutes however at a revised APR of 11.9% APR...

I tried calling and basically got fobbed off and told that the 11.9% is the best they can offer and they canít tell me why Iím not allowed any lower?? Iím trying to appeal but am going to have to write a letter and it can take up to 14 days to complete...

Is this normal for Santander? Or based on the facts am I in the wrong for questioning?

Any helps much appreciated
    Last edited by Josh_7; 19-07-2019 at 7:34 PM.
Page 1
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 19th Jul 19, 7:48 PM
    • 2,256 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    boo_star
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:48 PM
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:48 PM
    Probably not much point in appealing. Even if they offered a lower interest rate on appeal I can't see it getting anywhere near 3%

I'd just try somewhere else if it was me.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 20th Jul 19, 7:30 AM
    • 34,788 Posts
    • 22,020 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 20th Jul 19, 7:30 AM
    • 20th Jul 19, 7:30 AM
    Hi,

I was hoping for some advice and to see if anyone else has been in the same situation.

I applied for a personal loan today for the sum of £7,500 over 4 years with santander hoping to get the advertised rate of 3.0% APR.
    They came back with acceptance within 30 minutes however at a revised APR of 11.9% APR...

I tried calling and basically got fobbed off and told that the 11.9% is the best they can offer and they can’t tell me why I’m not allowed any lower?? I’m trying to appeal but am going to have to write a letter and it can take up to 14 days to complete...

Is this normal for Santander? Or based on the facts am I in the wrong for questioning?

Any helps much appreciated
    Originally posted by Josh_7
    The 3% is the represemtative rate, Santander are entitled to offer you a higher rate, in fact any lender can do the same, whether its normal for Santander is hard to say, maybe theres something on your report they didnt like ( they will have scored you based on your credit file and your application), they can dictate the terms as they are lending the money.

Maybe the 11.9% is the best you can get, only way to find out is by applying elsewhere.
    Who is your current account with ?
    Got any debts, ccjs ?

Try a letter but you will need to convince them why you should get the 3%.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 20-07-2019 at 7:33 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

98Posts Today

1,304Users online

Martin's Twitter