Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 18th Jul 19, 5:33 PM
    • 8,253Posts
    • 14,973Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    0 WOW
    Empty bottles taken off people in security
    • 18th Jul 19, 5:33 PM
    0 WOW
    Empty bottles taken off people in security 18th Jul 19 at 5:33 PM
    I know about 12 people this year that took empty and dry bottles through security only to be confiscated by security! They were empty water and soft drinks bottles. Different airports - Manchester, Stansted and Birmingham.

Anyone who had this? Why were my friends and relatives caught out? This is why I am not risking taking an empty bottle through security.

They got their water through meal deals at Boots and Superdrug
Page 2
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 19th Jul 19, 8:12 AM
    • 4,829 Posts
    • 2,934 Thanks
    eDicky
    Ibut I am not risking having an empty bottle confiscated at security.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    The risk of losing possession of am empty plastic water bottle..?? That seems an astounding level of risk aversion..!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Jul 19, 8:30 AM
    • 23,162 Posts
    • 62,613 Thanks
    Pollycat
    The risk of losing possession of am empty plastic water bottle..?? That seems an astounding level of risk aversion..!
    Originally posted by eDicky
    It sounds really bizarre.

Even if the OP has one of those fancy aluminium bottles, she could leave that at home and just take an empty plastic bottle.
    Or if she wants it on holiday, put it in her hold luggage if she's taking that.

I really can't see what there is to lose (apart from an empty plastic water bottle that's worth less than a penny).

If I wanted to be sure I didn't have a problem, I'd take a printout of the article in my link.
    Mike Ward, Head of Retail at Manchester Airport, said: “As the airport gears up for its busiest ever summer we know that many passengers are now travelling through with their own water bottles. This scheme will make it even easier for them to fill up and ensure they’re staying hydrated for their flights.”
    With me, I am flying to Catania, Sicily in Sept and from just searching there are no water fountains available past security
    Are you talking about Manchester or Catania?

Again...from the article in my link which is specifically about Manchester airport:
    It means passengers can refill their water bottles at any of the 33 outlets across the airport’s three terminals. This is in addition to water fountains that are already located in both arrivals and the departure lounges.
    I'm flying from Manchester. Yes I know the outlets are letting passengers fill their own bottles, but I am not risking having an empty bottle confiscated at security. Out of those who had their bottles taken off them, one was swigging what was left in their bottle whilst in the queue in security. Maybe the security personnel saw this and before taking it off them, look to see if its empty or perhaps the little drop of water left was the tipping point,
    If I was taking an empty water bottle, I'd make sure it was dry and inside my hand luggage before I got anywhere near Security.

You seem to be making this much harder than it really is.
    • RhysD
    • By RhysD 19th Jul 19, 9:01 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RhysD
    As many of the others have said, I personally have never had an issue with this. Would be very interesting to hear the reasoning why they were not allowed! I have never seen any rule which would suggest taking an empty bottle would be a potential danger.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 19th Jul 19, 9:11 AM
    • 8,253 Posts
    • 14,973 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    What is there to risk? You are allowed to take an empty bottle through.

If they stop you, ask to speak to their boss.

If they still insist (which they wont), buy a bottle of water from Boots for a quid, I know this is a money saving site but come on, spending a quid on a bottle of water from Boots to drink and then refill isnt going to require an overdraft extension is it?

I think your friends arent telling you the whole story.
    Originally posted by bradders1983
    Thanks for the advice. I rather not have an argument with a security official. I will stick to buying the water as part of the meal deal in Boots or Superdrug. As for an extra £2,50, I get a sandwich and something else - crisps, . I like to get the most expensive things in the deal to be more MSE
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 19th Jul 19, 9:12 AM
    • 637 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Or, just have an empty clear bottle, with no label, in your hand luggage. Not difficult. Nor is it a "risk".
    • jimbo6977
    • By jimbo6977 19th Jul 19, 12:57 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    jimbo6977
    Always take my refillable bottle and not had an issue.
    Apart from on the way back when I'd frozen the water in the bottle and was trying frantically to melt it to empty it before security.
    Originally posted by elsien
    Surely you wanted it to stay frozen as ice is not a liquid, so can pass security?
    • Westin
    • By Westin 19th Jul 19, 1:13 PM
    • 1,949 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    Westin
    The CAA says -

"The Department for Transport does not prohibit the carriage of empty water bottles through security in hand luggage."

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Before-you-fly/Baggage/What-items-can-I-travel-with/
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 19th Jul 19, 1:19 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Surely you wanted it to stay frozen as ice is not a liquid, so can pass security?
    Originally posted by jimbo6977
    Surely they would not permit it anyway, as it would melt past security?
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 19th Jul 19, 3:44 PM
    • 8,253 Posts
    • 14,973 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Catania airport has no water fountains so if you took your own bottle, there is nowhere to fill up
    • elsien
    • By elsien 19th Jul 19, 3:51 PM
    • 19,531 Posts
    • 49,659 Thanks
    elsien
    Originally posted by jimbo6977
    Wasn't sure if they'd allow it or not, given that it would melt on the plane, and didn't want to lose my refillable bottle - it's the only one I've got that doesn't leak.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 19th Jul 19, 3:52 PM
    • 19,531 Posts
    • 49,659 Thanks
    elsien
    Catania airport has no water fountains so if you took your own bottle, there is nowhere to fill up
    Taps in the washrooms?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • maman
    • By maman 19th Jul 19, 4:40 PM
    • 20,244 Posts
    • 120,651 Thanks
    maman
    ... or any other airport I've been through in the last 5 years or so...
    Originally posted by greenbee
    I've still got the bottle I brought through Dalman last week.

Although I'd heard that there are now water fountains in airports I didn't take one with me to Gatwick as I wasn't sure. Instead I do what I usually do which is buy one at Boots (with Advantage points). I then used it throughout the holiday (sports bottle at the side of my bed) and brought it back with me.

In any event, it's hardly a risk to take an empty plastic bottle. I'd certainly be asking why if it happened to me though.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Jul 19, 6:26 PM
    • 23,162 Posts
    • 62,613 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Taps in the washrooms?
    Originally posted by elsien
    I'm not sure that I'd trust water from taps in a washroom to be OK to drink.
    I'm sure I've seen notices saying 'non potable'.
    Then just buy a bottle airside
    Jeez! How hard are you making this?
    • benjus
    • By benjus 19th Jul 19, 8:43 PM
    • 5,311 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    benjus
    Thanks for the advice. I rather not have an argument with a security official.
    Even if you don't argue with them, you're still only losing a water bottle.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 19th Jul 19, 9:06 PM
    • 8,253 Posts
    • 14,973 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I'm not sure that I'd trust water from taps in a washroom to be OK to drink.
    I'm sure I've seen notices saying 'non potable'.

Then just buy a bottle airside
    Jeez! How hard are you making this?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Not making my life difficult but other travelers may be disappointed with no facilities to refill their bottles
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 19th Jul 19, 9:16 PM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 1,327 Thanks
    Shelldean
    I've still got the bottle I brought through Dalman last week.

Although I'd heard that there are now water fountains in airports I didn't take one with me to Gatwick as I wasn't sure. Instead I do what I usually do which is buy one at Boots (with Advantage points). I then used it throughout the holiday (sports bottle at the side of my bed) and brought it back with me.

In any event, it's hardly a risk to take an empty plastic bottle. I'd certainly be asking why if it happened to me though.
    Originally posted by maman
    Gatwick does have fountains. I only know south off the top of my head. It's in the corridor leading to the toilets near the wetherspoons. And as there are two toilets near wetherspoons as you face spoons it's on your left near the lift.

But for future reference......https://wateratairports.com/forum/countries/
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 19th Jul 19, 9:18 PM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 1,327 Thanks
    Shelldean
    And Catania does have a water fountain, but according to the latest post, the poster wasn't allowed to use it?

https://wateratairports.com/topic/catania-fontanarossa-airport-cta/
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 19th Jul 19, 10:02 PM
    • 4,487 Posts
    • 11,735 Thanks
    LilElvis
    A piddly 500ml of water won't make much difference if you're in Sicily in August. You need a multi pack of 2l bottles. It's unbearably hot. Sweat running off you in rivers hot.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 20th Jul 19, 6:35 AM
    • 23,162 Posts
    • 62,613 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Not making my life difficult but other travelers may be disappointed with no facilities to refill their bottles
    Difficult enough to start a thread about the 'risk' of taking an empty bottle...

TBH, if I've paid for a holiday in Sicily (not the cheapest destination in the world) I wouldn't be worrying about not being able to get free water at the airport coming home.

I really can't see why you can't take an empty plastic bottle to Manchester airport and fill it up airside and then do the same at Catania airport.
    The worst that can happen is the water fountains aren't working and you get some jobsworth in Frankie and Bennys who doesn't know the airport has signed up to the 'Refill' scheme.
    So you just buy water and ditch the empty bottle.

They got their water through meal deals at Boots and Superdrug
    Is there a Superdrug at Manchester airport?
    Last edited by Pollycat; 20-07-2019 at 8:13 AM.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 20th Jul 19, 7:07 AM
    • 1,949 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    Westin
    Where is this thread going?

Starting with a rumoured and hard to believe non-story of twelve of the OP’s associates having empty water bottles confiscated from them at various U.K. airports, to a very minor grumble now that he can’t fill up his own water bottle from a fountain airside at a small secondary Italian airport.

Nothing to see here...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,133Posts Today

8,394Users online

Martin's Twitter