Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • badger09
    • By badger09 19th Jul 19, 10:44 AM
    • 7,195Posts
    • 6,786Thanks
    badger09
    0 WOW
    Unusual Travel Insurance Requirement
    • 19th Jul 19, 10:44 AM
    0 WOW
    Unusual Travel Insurance Requirement 19th Jul 19 at 10:44 AM
    I'll try to keep this brief

2 friends want to come with us on expensive holiday to Australia & NZ for our 'big' birthdays in Feb 2020. Mine & other half already covered.

Friend 1 - UK citizen, permanently resident in Sweden
    Friend 2 (her partner) - Swedish citizen, permanently resident in Sweden.
    Both friends under 65
    Both have elderly widowed mum, mid 80s, living independently, no health problems, resident in UK & Sweden respectively.

Friends' Home Insurance also covers them for medical treatment abroad etc but not for cancellation. 'Upgrade' of existing policy not possible

Because of obvious risk of potentially having to cancel, they need that cover.

I've looked at World Nomads, but a review said they only cover cancellation if the 'close relative' lives in the same country. So that looks like a non starter for Friend 1.

Can anyone recommend where else I can look?
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 19th Jul 19, 10:48 AM
    • 35,411 Posts
    • 41,498 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 19th Jul 19, 10:48 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 10:48 AM
    Friend one takes insurance out in other country ?
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 19th Jul 19, 10:59 AM
    • 13,238 Posts
    • 9,109 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 19th Jul 19, 10:59 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 10:59 AM
    They live in Sweden so should look at Swedish travel insurance.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 19th Jul 19, 11:44 AM
    • 20,288 Posts
    • 47,039 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 19th Jul 19, 11:44 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 11:44 AM
    ^^^^This^^^^

Policies issued in the UK are for residents of the UK. Your status and insurance arrangements are irrelevant, they need to find a policy in Sweden which covers their requirements.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • badger09
    • By badger09 19th Jul 19, 4:45 PM
    • 7,195 Posts
    • 6,786 Thanks
    badger09
    • 19th Jul 19, 4:45 PM
    • 19th Jul 19, 4:45 PM
    Friend one takes insurance out in other country ?
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    They live in Sweden so should look at Swedish travel insurance.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    ^^^^This^^^^

Policies issued in the UK are for residents of the UK. Your status and insurance arrangements are irrelevant, they need to find a policy in Sweden which covers their requirements.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Thanks for the comments. This situation cannot be that unusual and I've discovered that there are policies issued in the UK, which cover non UK residents.

For example, and in case it is of use to anyone else

https://www.goodtogoinsurance.com/non-uk-already-travelled
    • Moe The Bartender
    • By Moe The Bartender 24th Jul 19, 9:14 AM
    • 234 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    Moe The Bartender
    • 24th Jul 19, 9:14 AM
    • 24th Jul 19, 9:14 AM
    There are also policies issued in the UK for UK citizens living in other countries. Try Staysure.
    Hey, don't you badmouth this country. Compared to the rest of the third-world, we're doing great.
    • sazaccount
    • By sazaccount 25th Jul 19, 4:25 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    sazaccount
    • 25th Jul 19, 4:25 PM
    • 25th Jul 19, 4:25 PM
    "Most" UK travel insurance requires you to be within the UK for 6 months within the last 12 to be classed as "resident" you can pay for non resident insurance or speak to the underwriter to see if they will cover this comes at a premium, however given their situation they will properly be best to look for Swedish travel insurance and see if the friend with the mum in the UK can get the underwriter to cover this.
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 25th Jul 19, 6:18 PM
    • 14,357 Posts
    • 12,622 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 25th Jul 19, 6:18 PM
    • 25th Jul 19, 6:18 PM
    Have you looked at the price difference between cancellable flights and non cancellable? Sometimes it's not that big, and sometimes the cheapest ticket is a cancellable one! Was the case when we went to NZ a few years ago (ours were cancellable for a small fee, around $50 IIRC, cheaper than insurance!). On long haul there isn't usually the massive difference there is on sort haul (in % terms anyway).

Also look at similar for accomodation if you're prebooking. Again may not be much if any difference.

Most important thing you need insurance for is medical so if you're certain that's covered that's the main thing.
    • sazaccount
    • By sazaccount 25th Jul 19, 9:04 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    sazaccount
    • 25th Jul 19, 9:04 PM
    • 25th Jul 19, 9:04 PM

Most important thing you need insurance for is medical so if you're certain that's covered that's the main thing.
    Originally posted by zagfles
    Just going to add onto this (still should have travel insurance) but Aus and NZ both have reciprocal health agreements with the UK so for friend 1 if something happens and they need to go to the hospital/doctor then take their passport for treatment (still have to pay to see a gp though between $40-150) NZ also as the ACC so you are covered if you have an accident (even if its your own fault) for medical bills. This agreement does not cover reparation or ambulances!
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada
    • badger09
    • By badger09 29th Jul 19, 3:03 PM
    • 7,195 Posts
    • 6,786 Thanks
    badger09
    I've been without broadband since Thursday, hence the delay

Thanks for all the comments.

My friends have managed to get the requisite insurance cover, including being non UK resident & mums being in different countries, from Voyager Insurance, through the link in my earlier post.

The cost of this 'once in a lifetime' trip with various components, are mounting steadily but everyone can now sleep at night.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

747Posts Today

6,806Users online

Martin's Twitter