Add your feedback on energy supplier Yorkshire Energy

Comments

• Easy to join and efficient website and billing. Called them to swap tariffs and it was handled quickly and efficiently. Don’t understand why there are no reviews on the Cheap Energy site? Five stars from me!
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 July 2019 at 4:08PM
    Easy to join and efficient website and billing. Called them to swap tariffs and it was handled quickly and efficiently. Don’t understand why there are no reviews on the Cheap Energy site? Five stars from me!

Absolutely agree. When speaking with YE to clarify something, I mentioned that MSE still describe YE as a new supplier. The YE person I spoke with mentioned that other YE customers had said the same. I suggested she get her marketing colleagues to have a word with MSE so they update their description of YE.

It's almost as though MSE have a downer on YE (perhaps because YE don't pay a referral commission to MSE when people change to YE ;) )
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Energy suppliers are between a rock and a hard place with fixed deals and exit fees.

They can only afford to do fixed if they pre-buy all of the energy for the customer on day one as otherwise they lose a fortune if energy prices rise.

If they pre-buy all the energy, prices drop significantly, and the customer leaves, then they have bought the energy and may have to sell it back into the market at a loss, or to another customer at a lower price.

I've done fixed with exit fees quite often as at least you know what you've paying unlike with SVT, and you can often get better deals with exit fees that without, but this does depend on location and usage.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Shedman
    Shedman Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Just wanted to add some further positive feedback on Yorkshire Energy.

I've just entered my meter readings this morning, bill produced within minutes and on checking it noticed that, being a numpty, I had transcribed my Gas reading so that it was way too high. Called them up and got through within a couple of minutes to a very helpful young lady. Meter reading amended straight away and account balance online immediately updated.

Mentioned that my fixed tariff was coming to an end and that, although I had been very happy with YE and would consider renewing, that I wasn't happy with there being an exit fee on their latest tariff. However, I was told that as an existing customer there wouldn't be an exit fee on the new tariff. So although YE new tariff would be about £40 a year (or 3%) more expensive than the cheapest supplier, I reckon I'll renew as not sure the risk of going with unknown new supplier is worth the relatively small saving compared to staying with a supplier that I have confidence in and that has been hassle free so far.
  • fewkeste
    Shedman wrote: »
    Mentioned that my fixed tariff was coming to an end and that, although I had been very happy with YE and would consider renewing, that I wasn't happy with there being an exit fee on their latest tariff. However, I was told that as an existing customer there wouldn't be an exit fee on the new tariff.

Thanks for posting this info - it will be very interesting to existing customers coming to the end of their fixed tariffs.
  • Been with Yorkshire Energy now for nearly twelve months without any problems whatsoever. Have received a monthly email asking for my meter readings and a bill is then available to view online within 30 minutes or so.
    My contract, which was one of the cheapest when I joined, ends on 21 August and YE have suggested a new fixed tariff which appears to be competitive at this time. They have also informed me the tariff I will default if I do nothing.
    From my dealings with Yorkshire Energy so far I would have no hesitation in recommending them.
  • adsk
    adsk Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Similar to the last 2 posters, I've been with YE for nearly a year and have had the renewal email.

I've had a quick look around to see how the new tariff I've been offered (Green Gazelle) compares with the current offerings from other companies. Green Gazelle is not the cheapest, I could save £5 per month with another company but it's one that has had some bad press.

Overall, I've been very happy with YE and will stick with them for another year.
  • hawkwinddotcom
    hawkwinddotcom Posts: 517 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 July 2019 at 8:58PM
    Tmaree wrote: »

They have advised they will never estimate an actual reading

They tend not to use my read meter day rate, e7 and gas are fine but day rate 9/10 readings are estimated by them

edit: this bulb i am on about
    3.78 kWp PV SolarEdge with iBoost South facing.
    30° pitch roof 4% shading. Installed 6th June 18.
    Gloucester
  • fewkeste
    They tend not to use my read meter day rate, e7 and gas are fine but day rate 9/10 readings are estimated by them

edit: this bulb i am on about

This thread is regarding Yorkshire Energy. It might be worthwhile re-posting this on the Bulb thread if there is one.
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 August 2019 at 12:36AM
    My experience with Yorkshire, whilst only a few weeks due to a house move, has been very positive.

A great tariff with very low E7 break even point (15%).
    Easy to use website.
    Phone queuing system that tells you where in the queue you are.
    Final bill issued within 20 minutes of providing moving out readings.

A great experience and I would definitely use them again.

EDIT: Credit received in bank account within 24hrs. Excellent service.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback