Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • B4rlogas
    • By B4rlogas 17th Jul 19, 6:25 AM
    • 15Posts
    • 15Thanks
    B4rlogas
    0 WOW
    Dog chewed my passport
    • 17th Jul 19, 6:25 AM
    0 WOW
    Dog chewed my passport 17th Jul 19 at 6:25 AM
    Morning, Im in desperate need of some advice, me and my partner supposed to be travelling to Alicante tomorrow from east Midlands Airport with Ryanair, after checking in last night with the passports my frenchie Frankie decided to chew my passport, I really need to know if I will be able to use it, thanks Chris
Page 3
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 18th Jul 19, 10:07 AM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 962 Thanks
    cubegame
    Ryanair are famed for their 'jobsworth' attitude. If the passport can be read by the machine they are fine, if not they cannot fly, but if they just look at it and say no then that is not right.
    Originally posted by Archergirl
    With this in mind it may also be prudent to travel with the definition of a damaged passport.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/damaged-and-faulty-passports/damaged-and-faulty-passports-policy
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 18th Jul 19, 10:57 AM
    • 4,837 Posts
    • 2,936 Thanks
    eDicky
    Wouldnt it just be worth turning up at the Passport Office and trying your luck? Are you on the 5pm or the 2pm?
    Originally posted by bradders1983
    It's worth a try, if still feasible before going to the airport. Turning up without an appointment violates all their procedure, notices proclaiming this are plastered around the entrance area. I managed to blag my way in, allowed to take a number and have my renewal done immediately, but that was nine years ago and I had a pretty good reason.

When I say immediately, it will probably take at least an hour or two if they relent and agree to do it. Or they may say that it's still in good enough condition to be used, and even perhaps give you a note to that effect.

Otherwise, I still say just go for it and see what happens at the boarding gate...
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 18th Jul 19, 11:25 AM
    • 980 Posts
    • 960 Thanks
    vacheron
    Remember that you can travel within the EU using a European ID card or photo driving licence. So despite the fact that it is not Ryanair policy to allow you to travel exclusively using one take it too if you have one, and if they have an issue use it to support your ID.
    Last edited by vacheron; 18-07-2019 at 11:30 AM.
    The rich buy assets.
    The poor only have expenses.
    The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 18th Jul 19, 2:55 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Remember that you can travel within the EU using a European ID card or photo driving licence. .
    Originally posted by vacheron
    I beg your pardon? A British person travelling from the UK to Spain certainly can't do this.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 18th Jul 19, 5:39 PM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 2,315 Thanks
    z1a
    Remember that you can travel within the EU using a European ID card or photo driving licence. So despite the fact that it is not Ryanair policy to allow you to travel exclusively using one take it too if you have one, and if they have an issue use it to support your ID.
    Originally posted by vacheron
    No you can't.
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 18th Jul 19, 6:37 PM
    • 980 Posts
    • 960 Thanks
    vacheron
    Apologies, I was attempting to combine three separate bits of information in my head into one response as I was running out of the office and made a complete hash of it! please disregard. 😊
    The rich buy assets.
    The poor only have expenses.
    The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 18th Jul 19, 6:38 PM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 2,192 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    I hope we find out what happened at the airport!
    • z1a
    • By z1a 18th Jul 19, 6:45 PM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 2,315 Thanks
    z1a
    I hope we find out what happened at the airport!
    Originally posted by MovingForwards
    Hopefully not until OP's returned from his uneventful holiday.
    • B4rlogas
    • By B4rlogas 18th Jul 19, 8:26 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    B4rlogas
    Update, well Im here just on the coach on the way to the hotel👍, thanks for your advice everyone especially bradders1983 for your help👍🍺
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 19th Jul 19, 7:11 AM
    • 640 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Now you just have the gauntlet of the return journey to run although I imagine since you are coming back to country of origin the staff in Spain wont give too much of a toss and let you on.
    • B4rlogas
    • By B4rlogas 19th Jul 19, 7:49 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    B4rlogas
    The Spanish passport officer wasn’t bothered in the slightest, he just said it’s time u replace, I used a passport cover getting on the plane coming, pretty sure she noticed the chewed corner but wasn’t bothered, happy days just waiting for the bar open ��
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 19th Jul 19, 8:23 AM
    • 4,837 Posts
    • 2,936 Thanks
    eDicky
    Well done, a good example for any future posters with extreme anxiety about relatively minor defects on their passports. A while ago there was one wanting to replace because of the gold lettering on the outer cover being slightly worn off..!
    • Magnolia
    • By Magnolia 19th Jul 19, 8:45 AM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    Magnolia
    A while ago there was one wanting to replace because of the gold lettering on the outer cover being slightly worn off..!
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Oh to use my passport often enough to have the lettering wear off!
    Mags - who loves shopping
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 19th Jul 19, 9:20 AM
    • 8,255 Posts
    • 14,973 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    This was the days of before the RFID chip in passports. My ex accidentally washed his passport and the main photo page was fine, apart from one corner, the bottom left which was starting to come apart. On the ferry home from Rotterdam, the security official suggested that to replace the passport
    • martindow
    • By martindow 19th Jul 19, 10:45 AM
    • 8,248 Posts
    • 4,822 Thanks
    martindow
    I'm surprised no-one has discussed what sanctions should be applied to the dog that created all of this worry.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 19th Jul 19, 12:09 PM
    • 4,837 Posts
    • 2,936 Thanks
    eDicky
    I'm surprised no-one has discussed what sanctions should be applied to the dog that created all of this worry.
    Originally posted by martindow
    Frankie should receive a dog chew toy of some kind, perhaps souvenir of the trip, as consolation for the failure of his plan to foil his master's departure. It might also relieve his apparent deprivation of suitable objects to chew, as well as make up for the loss of his master's company during the trip duration.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 19th Jul 19, 12:24 PM
    • 1,503 Posts
    • 1,365 Thanks
    TheShape
    Well done, a good example for any future posters with extreme anxiety about relatively minor defects on their passports. A while ago there was one wanting to replace because of the gold lettering on the outer cover being slightly worn off..!
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Oh to use my passport often enough to have the lettering wear off!
    Originally posted by Magnolia
    Happily, barely any of the gold lettering remains on my passport. About 18 months validity left to have it completely worn off!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

313Posts Today

3,943Users online

Martin's Twitter