Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • c4m3r0n
    • By c4m3r0n 10th Feb 19, 4:38 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    c4m3r0n
    Disabled student allowance appeal
    • 10th Feb 19, 4:38 PM
    Disabled student allowance appeal 10th Feb 19 at 4:38 PM
    Hi,
    Looking for help please

I am doing a post graduate degree through a private company, which is validated by a university. I am dyslexic and found out very late in my undergraduate degree, and was told not to apply (by assessor) for disabled student support. However, when doing the postgraduate, I applied. I don't have a student number and explained that my degree is only validated by a university not run by them. I was successful in DSA support for 1 year, which has been amazing (after 1st two applications were lost by SLC).

However, when applying again for the last year, I was told that, not only do I not qualify for support, that the money needs to be repaid for the previous year. I have failed a stage 1 appeal. I applied for a stage 2 appeal, however this went through another stage 1 appeal.

Would you be able to give me any advice on how to appeal please? I don't understand how, with the same information, I can be accepted one year and not the next.
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 11th Feb 19, 10:17 AM
    • 5,872 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 11th Feb 19, 10:17 AM
    • 11th Feb 19, 10:17 AM
    Are you eligible ? https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas/eligibility

It appears that they have decided that you were not eligible last year and awarded the allowance in error.
    • c4m3r0n
    • By c4m3r0n 13th Feb 19, 1:36 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    c4m3r0n
    • 13th Feb 19, 1:36 AM
    • 13th Feb 19, 1:36 AM
    I did the checks. The post graduate course I am on is only 3 years old, No-one knew if the course would qualify for support, no-one at the student loans company would respond with anything other than apply to find out. Which I did and now being penalised, or feel penalised, for their change in decision
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 22nd Feb 19, 7:00 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    • 22nd Feb 19, 7:00 PM
    • 22nd Feb 19, 7:00 PM
    If an error has been found, SLC/SFE/SFW/SFNI are duty bound by the government to correct it. They have no discretion at all. This seems to be what has happened in your case.

Usually, if a course qualifies for student finance, the providers will know about it and post it prominently on their website.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

1,873Users online

Martin's Twitter