Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BurnsieUK
    • By BurnsieUK 30th Jan 19, 4:58 PM
    • 78Posts
    • 9Thanks
    BurnsieUK
    Funding a second masters (physiotherapy)
    • 30th Jan 19, 4:58 PM
    Funding a second masters (physiotherapy) 30th Jan 19 at 4:58 PM
    So.

I am in my mid 30’s and am eying up a career change to a physiotherapist.

I went to uni at 18, and, like a lot of others, didn’t really have much direction about future careers (even after trying to seek it out…. It was before the internet!).

I also already have an MSc that I self-funded.

I am also completing a doctorate course (self-funded), that I would suspend or quit.

Now, I saw a Doctorate of Physio course late last year, applied, and got a place. However, the start date was Jan 2019, and I couldn’t sort things in time (I’m a home owner so would have to sell or rent it out).

The issue I have is the course is 3 and a half years long, self-funded, and full-time. And I need money for things like food ‘n’ stuff. Although I think I can budget for that, one thing I cannot shake is the huge loss of earnings over the cost of doing the course itself (over £100k based on my current salary).

The !Doctorate of Physio course only offers an advanced academic qualification. You’d still be the same “level” physio if you completed this course or a 2-year MSc or 3-year BSc.

Thus I am also looking at a 2 year MSc as id be out of employment for less time.

Now, although I can get funded for the fees of the Doctorate of Physio course, as far as I am! aware, I cannot get funding for the MSc as I already have one (despite the first MSc being self-funded and the physio MSc being a professional qualification as well so I am not than just wanting to do another course the hell of it).

So, in a very long winded way, I am asking for advice about how you could self-fund an 2-year MSc? Anyone know of any good loan options, for example?
    !
    Any advice apricated.

Regards

B
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

479Posts Today

5,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @theresa_may: I?m pleased that we are banning all GPs? charges for forms relating to mental health and debt. I?d like to thank @mmhpi fo?

• Currently 52% in favour of self service checkouts, 48% staffed checkouts. I'm not saying a word! https://t.co/T7zzztSAr5

• RT @chihuahuamammy: @MartinSLewis Just rang the Student Loans Company following your show. A refund of £395 for overpayment. Not early reti?

• Follow Martin