Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Eesha
    • By MSE Eesha 8th Mar 16, 11:44 AM
    • 117Posts
    • 29Thanks
    MSE Eesha
    Postgraduate loans 2016/2017 starters
    • 8th Mar 16, 11:44 AM
    Postgraduate loans 2016/2017 starters 8th Mar 16 at 11:44 AM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
    Last edited by MSE Eesha; 18-03-2016 at 2:48 PM.
Page 5
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 3rd Jan 19, 3:45 PM
    • 773 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    Hello,

My post graduate degree is being fully sponsored by my employer. I am also looking to buy a house and wish to use the post graduate student loan towards my deposit. Can I get a post graduate student loan if i am being sponsored?
    I have checked the gov website and it only states that you cannot receive student loan if the student is already receiving grants/bursaries, it does not mention anything in regards to sponsorship.

Thank you in advance,
    Originally posted by garytonydocherty

It depends on who's sponsoring you and the type of course. I'm on an LPC at the moment and there are students there who are getting their fees paid by their firm but still get a graduate loan to cover living expenses. To be honest, a graduate loan has an interest rate of 6% (at the moment), there are far cheaper ways to get a deposit together.
    • michaelinis2020
    • By michaelinis2020 29th Jan 19, 6:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    michaelinis2020
    Interest Rate on Northern Ireland Postgraduate Loans
    Hello I'm finding it difficult to understand the interest rate on postgraduate loans from NI, from what I can see you start accruing interest at 1.75% form the start of the course. This is very different from England where the interest is 6.3% (RPI + 3%) SO just wondering if I was correct or if the NI interest rate is actually (RPI + 1.75%).

If anyone can elucidate I would be grateful.

Thank you
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 29th Jan 19, 6:46 PM
    • 2,546 Posts
    • 1,340 Thanks
    Ed-1
    Hello I'm finding it difficult to understand the interest rate on postgraduate loans from NI, from what I can see you start accruing interest at 1.75% form the start of the course. This is very different from England where the interest is 6.3% (RPI + 3%) SO just wondering if I was correct or if the NI interest rate is actually (RPI + 1.75%).

If anyone can elucidate I would be grateful.

Thank you
    Originally posted by michaelinis2020
    In Northern Ireland postgraduate loans are plan 1 loans which have a repayment threshold of 18,330 (changes annually with RPI). Repayments are merged with undergraduate loans and are not in addition to them.

Interest on plan 1 is calculated as the lower of the prior March RPI or the current base rate + 1%.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,997Posts Today

5,299Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin