Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mojo1
    • By mojo1 2nd Feb 19, 5:03 PM
    • 823Posts
    • 292Thanks
    mojo1
    Trying to repay loan from overseas
    • 2nd Feb 19, 5:03 PM
    Trying to repay loan from overseas 2nd Feb 19 at 5:03 PM
    I'm trying to pay my loan from overseas by the SLC isn't making it easy.

They sent a form which I filled out. Most of it seemed to be irrelevant and they were asking for stuff I couldn't provide, like three months of wage slips (I only have two).

I sent it off and eventually they sent a letter back asking for proof of income because I am self employed, despite the fact that I ticked the "employee" box. They also emailed me with a link to a government web site, but it's asking for the same stuff I don't have.

I can't access their web portal as I never had a login and my mobile plan doesn't include calling the UK. They don't have any other contact details, no email, no web form, no chat. I could write to them I guess.

I'm also concerned about the evidence they are asking for, given that they have had data breeches in the past. At least on the government site it specifies the exact info they need on the wage slips (gross income and your name) so I can blank the rest out, to minimize the risk, but their own letters make no mention of this.

They are getting aggressive but also making it impossible to actually contact them. Also I'd like to know what the outstanding amount on my loan is. The only thing I can think of doing is waiting until I have a third wage slip and then using he government web site, but I'm worried that they haven't even given me the amount I need to repay after I told them my salary.
Page 1
    • mojo1
    • By mojo1 3rd Feb 19, 2:51 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    mojo1
    • 3rd Feb 19, 2:51 PM
    • 3rd Feb 19, 2:51 PM
    I found out what the email address for the government site is, but when I try to reset the password it asks what college I was at. None of the answers are the right one and there is no "none of the above" or contact/help option.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 3rd Feb 19, 5:56 PM
    • 6,163 Posts
    • 4,651 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 3rd Feb 19, 5:56 PM
    • 3rd Feb 19, 5:56 PM
    Try making a complaint

https://www.slc.co.uk/students-and-customers/contact-information-for-customers/making-a-complaint.aspx
    • mojo1
    • By mojo1 3rd Feb 19, 7:49 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    mojo1
    • 3rd Feb 19, 7:49 PM
    • 3rd Feb 19, 7:49 PM
    Good idea. I sent them an email, lets see if they respond.
    • sazaccount
    • By sazaccount 5th Feb 19, 10:04 AM
    • 312 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    sazaccount
    • 5th Feb 19, 10:04 AM
    • 5th Feb 19, 10:04 AM
    I hate dealing with slc but you can download skype and add ‘credit’ and call them via Skype it works out at about 1p or less a minute
    Car Loan = 54995271 4753 4293 3340.682980.54 1908 1431 - Bye Bye Car

Credit card = 765 553 475 349 0

Thanks to the hints and tips from the MSE forums I was able to travel and work abroad for nearly 3 years now saving for the next adventure to Canada!
    • mojo1
    • By mojo1 5th Feb 19, 11:06 AM
    • 823 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    mojo1
    • 5th Feb 19, 11:06 AM
    • 5th Feb 19, 11:06 AM
    I submitted a complaint via email, they responded that they will reply within 15 working days.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,416Posts Today

5,346Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin