Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 213
    • c4m3r0n
    • By c4m3r0n 5th Feb 19, 12:42 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    c4m3r0n
    Hi, wondering if you can help please? I am doing a post graduate degree through a private company, which is validated by a university. I am dyslexic and found out very late in my undergraduate degree, and was told not to apply (by assessor). However, when doing the postgraduate, I applied. I don't have a student number and explained that my degree is only validated by a university not run by them. I was successful in DSA support, which has been amazing (after 1st two applications were lost by SLC).
    However, when applying again for the last year, I was told that not only do I not qualify for support, that the money needs to be repaid for the previous year. I have failed a stage 1 appeal. I applied for a stage 2 appeal and went through another stage 1 appeal.
    Would you be able to give me any advice on how to appeal please? I don't understand how, with the same information, I can be accepted one year and not the next.
    Thanks
    • arc1699
    • By arc1699 14th Feb 19, 12:45 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    arc1699
    I've been asked to update my employment details. I am not in full time employment but I sometimes work for my mum. I don't have a paye reference number. If I say I'm supported by a third party, bank statements are required as evidence. My mum pays me minimum wage for a few hours a week so I'm worried they think I'm lying as the bank statement will look like I have a wage.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 14th Feb 19, 5:36 PM
    • 39,713 Posts
    • 36,867 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I've been asked to update my employment details. I am not in full time employment but I sometimes work for my mum. I don't have a paye reference number. If I say I'm supported by a third party, bank statements are required as evidence. My mum pays me minimum wage for a few hours a week so I'm worried they think I'm lying as the bank statement will look like I have a wage.
    Originally posted by arc1699
    Has your mum checked whether she should be formally employing you and making returns to HMRC? If she's paying you more than £116 per week, she almost certainly does. There's a checklist here.

Unless you have the same amount going in every week, why would it look as if as you have a wage?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • arc1699
    • By arc1699 14th Feb 19, 8:04 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    arc1699
    Thank you for responding. I don't earn any where near £116 a week, it doesn't seem like I should be formally employed. I think it looks like a wage because she references the transaction with the company name and the amount is exactly divisible by the minimum wage.

So I should I say I am supported by a third party or that I am employed?
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 14th Feb 19, 8:56 PM
    • 39,713 Posts
    • 36,867 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Thank you for responding. I don't earn any where near £116 a week, it doesn't seem like I should be formally employed.
    There's a difference between you being formally employed, and your mother being required to register as an employer. It looks as if your mother is not required to register as an employer (if you are the only person she's paying), because the payments she's making to you are under the threshold which makes that necessary.

But that doesn't mean she's not employing you. If you weren't available, would she need someone else to help out?

If she has an accountant, has she spoken to them about the arrangement?

I think it looks like a wage because she references the transaction with the company name and the amount is exactly divisible by the minimum wage.
    Well, yes, but I'm not sure if the first thought of whoever was looking at your application would be to divide regular payments by the minimum wage ...

So I should I say I am supported by a third party or that I am employed?
    I'm afraid I don't know. If it will let you submit it saying you are employed but without a PAYE reference that would be the obvious way to go.

Just checking: are you an independent student, or is your parental income also being assessed? Because I'm out of date here, but certainly when my boys were students, their income would be asked for, but was irrelevant to the calculation because their loan / grant was based on our income.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • stulaunch
    • By stulaunch 15th Feb 19, 5:39 AM
    • 452 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    stulaunch
    I posted this in the main Student forum. But maybe it's better here.

So my Son is in his 1st year at Uni now and the maintenance grant was based on my earnings in year 2016-2017.

Now when he starts his 2nd year in Sept. What years Parental income will they use?

The reason I ask is because my Income was a fair bit higher in 2017-2018 but this tax year 2018-2019 will be significantly lower, by more than the needed 15%, on both the previous years.

Will I be able to ask them to use 2018-2019 Income so that he receives higher maintenance grant?

Hope that all makes sense.
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 15th Feb 19, 10:26 AM
    • 2,546 Posts
    • 1,340 Thanks
    Ed-1
    I posted this in the main Student forum. But maybe it's better here.

So my Son is in his 1st year at Uni now and the maintenance grant was based on my earnings in year 2016-2017.

Now when he starts his 2nd year in Sept. What years Parental income will they use?

The reason I ask is because my Income was a fair bit higher in 2017-2018 but this tax year 2018-2019 will be significantly lower, by more than the needed 15%, on both the previous years.

Will I be able to ask them to use 2018-2019 Income so that he receives higher maintenance grant?

Hope that all makes sense.
    Originally posted by stulaunch
    You mean maintenance LOAN? Yes
    • stulaunch
    • By stulaunch 15th Feb 19, 12:15 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    stulaunch
    You mean maintenance LOAN? Yes
    Originally posted by Ed-1
    Yes, sorry, maintenance loan.
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 15th Feb 19, 12:19 PM
    • 2,546 Posts
    • 1,340 Thanks
    Ed-1
    Yes, sorry, maintenance loan.
    Originally posted by stulaunch
    Yes is the answer to your question
    • arc1699
    • By arc1699 15th Feb 19, 1:01 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    arc1699
    There's a difference between you being formally employed, and your mother being required to register as an employer. It looks as if your mother is not required to register as an employer (if you are the only person she's paying), because the payments she's making to you are under the threshold which makes that necessary.

But that doesn't mean she's not employing you. If you weren't available, would she need someone else to help out?

If she has an accountant, has she spoken to them about the arrangement?

Well, yes, but I'm not sure if the first thought of whoever was looking at your application would be to divide regular payments by the minimum wage ...

I'm afraid I don't know. If it will let you submit it saying you are employed but without a PAYE reference that would be the obvious way to go.

Just checking: are you an independent student, or is your parental income also being assessed? Because I'm out of date here, but certainly when my boys were students, their income would be asked for, but was irrelevant to the calculation because their loan / grant was based on our income.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    I am not the only person my mum employs. Paye reference number is required to submit so I should probably say I'm supported by a third party.

I've graduated. When I was at university it was based on my mum's income
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 15th Feb 19, 1:27 PM
    • 38,874 Posts
    • 162,327 Thanks
    silvercar
    Sounds to me like you are earning. You do work, you get paid for that work. The only thing that suggests you don't is that it is your mum giving you the money.

How does she account for the money she pays you? If it is as business expenses/ costs/ pay then you should do the same.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 15th Feb 19, 7:30 PM
    • 39,713 Posts
    • 36,867 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I am not the only person my mum employs. Paye reference number is required to submit so I should probably say I'm supported by a third party.

I've graduated. When I was at university it was based on my mum's income
    Ah right. So this is about when you're due to start making repayments, which isn't going to happen for a while yet. In that case, I don't think it matters, because you are not going to hit the threshold for making repayments.

And unless you have other taxable income, this isn't going to be a problem this tax year. However, given that I imagine you are hoping to find work soon, you do need to be aware that anything you earn from your mother IS taxable, and needs to be added to anything you earn in a regular job. Which becomes potentially difficult if your mother isn't giving you pay slips and hasn't put you on the payroll.
    Still knitting!
    • redvalley
    • By redvalley 16th Feb 19, 9:14 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    redvalley
    Course loan
    Hi. Not sure if this is the correct thread but can you help?
    We signed our 18 year old daughter up for a 12 month Pitman course using a payment plan. However due to suffering panic attacks she was unable to complete the course after 3 months. The college has said that we have to continue with the monthly payments and they will hold the course open until she “recovers”.

Is this correct?

Thank you
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 16th Feb 19, 11:58 AM
    • 6,176 Posts
    • 4,664 Thanks
    sheramber
    Hi. Not sure if this is the correct thread but can you help?
    We signed our 18 year old daughter up for a 12 month Pitman course using a payment plan. However due to suffering panic attacks she was unable to complete the course after 3 months. The college has said that we have to continue with the monthly payments and they will hold the course open until she “recovers”.

Is this correct?

Thank you
    Originally posted by redvalley
    If you are paying a payment plan then you have been given a loan to cover the costs. That amount of the loan is credited to cover the college fees.

So the fees have been paid for and you are now repaying the loan. The loan will not cancelled because your daughter is no longer attending the course.
    • BGLP2018
    • By BGLP2018 21st Feb 19, 1:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BGLP2018
    Hi, I started univeristy in September 2016, but withdrew halfway through the year leaving me with a loan of £4500. As of today this has risen with interest to £5060.80.

I want to know, as it is such a low amount, am I better off paying it off in full immediately to avoid interest, or paying it off as per the usual method over a number of years (I'm guessing as it's so small I will end up paying it all off anyway!).

What would you recommend?
    • katrafferty
    • By katrafferty 28th Feb 19, 1:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    katrafferty
    Should I get another maintenance loan?
    Hi, I'm 21 and about to finish uni so I will have almost £50,000 of student debt to pay off. I am starting a teacher training course from September, this again will cost another £9000 for tuition fees however I will get a bursary of around £15,000. My question is should I still apply for the maintenance loan to help me out? I would get between £5000-£6000 and the likely hood of every paying the entirety of my student debt off isn't great so should i just take as much money as I can now?

Thanks in advance
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 28th Feb 19, 1:40 PM
    • 2,546 Posts
    • 1,340 Thanks
    Ed-1
    Hi, I'm 21 and about to finish uni so I will have almost £50,000 of student debt to pay off. I am starting a teacher training course from September, this again will cost another £9000 for tuition fees however I will get a bursary of around £15,000. My question is should I still apply for the maintenance loan to help me out? I would get between £5000-£6000 and the likely hood of every paying the entirety of my student debt off isn't great so should i just take as much money as I can now?

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by katrafferty
    Yes. Think of student loans as grants and repayments as a tax.
    • dannyfitz1995
    • By dannyfitz1995 1st Mar 19, 10:17 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dannyfitz1995
    Some help would be hugely appreciated.

I finished university in June 2018 and so my repayments are due to start in April 2019.

I’m currently travelling around South East Asia, and have been since October 2018 and did not inform SLC (my bad, but I didn’t know I had to) and now I’m reading horror stories about non compliance and other penalties.

I have not been working whilst travelling anywhere, and have funded this trip with my own savings from previous employment along with some money from my parents.

I am only just realising I have messed up as my Mum text me to say she has received a letter from Student Finance saying they do not have my current details.

I am currently in Vietnam, but in April next month I will be heading to Australia on a working holiday visa (I’m not ready to come home yet).

Please can somebody advise me on how to proceed with this?

Thank you!
    • JoJane
    • By JoJane 5th Mar 19, 12:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JoJane
    As you offered!
    Could you please help and would be very grateful.
    My daughter has been offered a place at Laine Dance and Theatre college and we are applying for a DaDA, as it’s a diploma course and she is 18 yrs old.
    Although I live with my partner, we are not married and he is not Dad.
    He has never paid for my children and we have a rental property (which used to be my home) and I get to keep the rent after paying mortgage, about £500, which on top of my part time job pays for my kids.
    On the form it states household income and reluctant to add him, as his salary is high and seems unfair.
    What do I have to do and happy to provide bank statements to support info.
    Thanks
    • _shel
    • By _shel 5th Mar 19, 2:35 PM
    • 1,841 Posts
    • 3,453 Thanks
    _shel
    As you offered!
    Could you please help and would be very grateful.
    My daughter has been offered a place at Laine Dance and Theatre college and we are applying for a DaDA, as it’s a diploma course and she is 18 yrs old.
    Although I live with my partner, we are not married and he is not Dad.
    He has never paid for my children and we have a rental property (which used to be my home) and I get to keep the rent after paying mortgage, about £500, which on top of my part time job pays for my kids.
    On the form it states household income and reluctant to add him, as his salary is high and seems unfair.
    What do I have to do and happy to provide bank statements to support info.
    Thanks
    Originally posted by JoJane
    Household income means yours and his income, no matter that you state he doesn't pay for her. You are a household.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,023Posts Today

4,673Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin