Haggle with Virgin - our new guide

Former_MSE_Sally
Former_MSE_Sally Posts: 74 Forumite
edited 25 August 2015 at 4:06PM in Phones & TV
articlealert2_banner.gif
Hi all, we have new Haggle with Virgin guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Thanks for your help,
MSE Sally

Comments

• Hi....
    I have a monthly bill of £108 with Virgin and have tried haggling with them twice, with no positive outcome......I asked how I could reduce my bills, and since I have been a customer of theirs for probably 5-8 years now, (or maybe longer) a loyalty discount would have been appreciated. When I mentioned that I would seriously have to think about moving to Sky, they just didn't seem bothered ! I was just told that if I wanted to reduce my bill then I would have to loose the programmes :mad: :(

• I was on 100 Mb broadband, TV XL, Phone XL for a long time, average monthly bill c £90 per month. Phoned several times and only got paltry discounts. Then I phoned to say I was leaving and they let me go. Set up BT as a replacement and then about four days after I left they phoned me up to offer me effectively same package (with upgrade of TiVo and router) for £50 per month. BT order was easy to cancel.
    I think Virgin have got cute to people reading this forum and then threatening to leave. Seems like you really need to leave before they offer you a good deal to stay.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My problem is:

I have £19.50 loyalty going back years anyway.

So the moment I mention no I do not want sport or movies, they are lost.

I was offer Tivo (happy with my V+ box until it breaks down) and 125 boardband, I have 50 and don't need 125 anyway they are doubling the speed shortly. I have caller display which is very important to me, they wanted me to cut that. No thanks I see a weird number or Out Of Area I know not to pick up. Saving me £12 for a year, but I lose my loyality.

I have 50mg boardband, XL TV (no movies or sport), M phone, rarely use the latter anyway. My bill is usually around £68,73.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,569 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Before my annual renewal I always check what I could get an equivalent fibre based deal for (just broadband and phone). Phone them up and tell them I can get the same package with xxx for less. They have always passed me over to "retentions" and offered a better deal at a similar price to the alternative. I'm already lessening the use of my ntlworld email address in favour of a non-provider specific one, so will leave if I can see a worthwhile saving. Don't want the hassle and hidden cost of a new installation TBH...

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• alan17
    alan17 Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I also research before negotiating a deal.

I pay my line rental up front, this seems to give me a 12 month contract instead of the usual 18 months.

I think I will struggle this time to get it reduced from my research so far.

£75.75
    Broadband XL 200mb
    Tv 1 Tivo box, XL tv with Bt sport and sky sports (not sky sports HD)
    Phone M (weekends only)

Will update with my deal once I have spoke to them.
    I plan on reducing the broadband as I have no need for that speed.
  • Another little tip for long term customers with Virgin that worked for me when negotiating to add TV to my package was to bring this to their attention-worth £5 a month off for 18 months in my case-after which I will of course be going back to haggle again.
  • Just called Virgin and can't seem to get a good price out of them.

Currently pay £28 a month as I got a £5 discount till July 2016. Its going to go up by £3.xx in Feb due to the price increase. My line rental paid in advance for 2015.

Want to haggle a new deal before I pay the line rental upfront for 2016 as my 12 months are up with them on 8th Jan. (Been with them for 12 years now.)

My package:
    Phone XL
    SuperFibre50
    TV M
    Caller Display
    Talk 08 2 - Free calls to 0845/0870

Anyone got a good deal recently?
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    darkcloudi wrote: »
    Just called Virgin and can't seem to get a good price out of them.

Currently pay £28 a month as I got a £5 discount till July 2016. Its going to go up by £3.xx in Feb due to the price increase. My line rental paid in advance for 2015.

Want to haggle a new deal before I pay the line rental upfront for 2016 as my 12 months are up with them on 8th Jan. (Been with them for 12 years now.)

My package:
    Phone XL
    SuperFibre50
    TV M
    Caller Display

Call them. Cancel.

30 days notice. Make sure they have a number they can reach you on. They will call you back.

You will never EVER get the best deal possible if you dont go through with the cancellation. If they dont call you in the 30 day notice period then you call and cancel the cancellation.

Nothing lost.

I am currently paying 30% less than list having been through the process for the 6th year running.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,569 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    darkcloudi wrote: »
    Just called Virgin and can't seem to get a good price out of them.

My package:
    Phone XL
    SuperFibre50
    TV M
    Caller Display

I have never cancelled with them, but always find out what deals are available from a competitor, then call them and say I can get a similar service on BT Infinity (or similar) for £xx. They then put me through to "retentions" who have always given me a deal to stay. I don't want to leave in reality, as it would involve a new installation and setting up of my network in the house. I don't really care about losing my ntlworld email address, as I have an alternative I use for most things, which is not tied to an ISP.
    Currently, I pay £15.50 per month after discount for Talk unlimited, Caller Display and Superfibre70 (free upgrade from 50). I pay 12 months line rental in advance, and have just paid for next year's at £164.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    victor2 wrote: »
    Currently, I pay £15.50 per month after discount for Talk unlimited, Caller Display and Superfibre70 (free upgrade from 50). I pay 12 months line rental in advance, and have just paid for next year's at £164.

So I assume the £15.50 is in addition to the £164 making an equivalent monthly total of £29.50 per month?

Do they allow you to keep a 12 months contract so that LRS falls in line with it?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback