Failure by a luggage transfer service

Comments

• tbo127
    tbo127 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No, all bags were delivered incorrectly to a local pub. All bags were forwarded to my address and not individually to my friends so I had to distribute the bag. There is a consequential loss here in that I had to use my own fuel here to get the bags to everyone. Had the bag transfer company not failed to deliver the bags to the correct place, I wouldn’t have had to make these journeys to deliver the bags to about 5 different addresses.
  • tbo127
    A loss of a week is also unacceptable. I paid for them to deliver to the station at a particular date and time which they agreed to. The fact I had to distribute the bags as a consequence of their failure is also unacceptable. The fuel must at least be claimable through compensation if there’s any ounce of common sense. I didn’t choose to use this fuel to make the delivery. I had to do it due to their failure which is clearly established.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So how many miles are you talking?
    Why couldn't your friends collect their own bags from you?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • tbo127
    That would then be a consequential loss for them. And I would have to stay at home for multiple days. All this is irrelevant anyway. Why should I be at the mercy of a business who failed to carry out their contract correctly? I have suffered consequential loss as a result of their failure full stop.
  • tbo127
    Total mileage about 40-50 miles
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 August 2019 at 11:21PM
    tbo127 wrote: »
    Total mileage about 40-50 miles
    So about £5 then. In fact, let's assume you drive uneconomically and it cost you £10.

Jeez.....

Send a Letter Before Action (templates can be found online) demanding the £10 be paid to you within 14 days and if not, you will take them to court.
  • If the contract was between yourself and the company, then as already pointed out earlier, I don't think you'll have any luck with the mileage claim.

I have my doubts about fuel being claimable. Time definitely won't be.

It sounds like they only entered a contract with the OP, not the friends (otherwise surely they would have sent them back to each friend). So their liability would be to deliver to the OP, not the friends.
  • tbo127
    It’s a consequential loss to me though. As a result of the breach of their contract, I’ve lost money. Also, I’d note that one of the bags seems to have been lost by the courier as it still hasn’t been delivered to me. That’s a matter for the courier company though.
  • tbo127
    In response to Foster dogs comment earlier, I told them I would be there 3 hours earlier on more than 1 occasion and they didn’t reply. They also agreed in earlier correspondence that it’s fine to deliver to the train station. Therefore the responsibility clearly lies with them as a breach of contract. There’s no question about it.
  • NCC-1701
    NCC-1701 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    tbo127 you've probably wasted more time and effort arguing the toss on MSE about this than you spent sorting out the luggage. You are maybe owed £5 for fuel, get on with trying to claim it if that's what you want.....but is it really worth the effort?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure