PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House Buying: Important Threads

Comments

• Thank you so much its really very helpful.
  • hey, thanks for sharing. I am looking for something like this only.
  • colejames
    colejames Posts: 12 Forumite
    This is really informative for me. You have shared such an amazing post. Buying a house is not easy for everyone nowadays. Without any doing homework, buying a house can be critical. Btw, thanks for sharing it.
  • I am selling a property that has a potential land boundary issue - fence installed in 2009 does not align with the legal boundary as defined on the deeds (effectively giving a 10m x 1.5 m long strip of land away which they have been tending to).

This has been highlighted by my purchaser's conveyancy.

I am taking legal advice on best way to proceed but hoped someone (hopefully Land Registry) could advise on my best course of action - options I think are.

1. Move fence to legal boundary (but risk dispute) - asap
    2. Remove fence
    3. Licence / agreement for both owners to access land for maintenance purposes (the strip of land is in front of part of my property and window)
    4. Is there a time element to how long the other party has been tending the land (giving them any rights)
    5. Ownership - I assume is not changed other than by formal agreement between each party (eg land sale)
  • Hi,
    Thanks for this useful information that you shared here.
  • mayey87
    mayey87 Posts: 6
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi! I am a nurse working in the NHS on a tier 2 visa, while my partner is a self employed gas engineer with a British passport. Our combined income is around £65-70k per year. My question is: is it possible for us to get a mortgage despite my visa status?

I have been working for the NHS (and in the UK) for 2.5 years. My current visa is valid until 2021, but I have a permanent contract with my employer, which means my visa will automatically be renewed once it expires. By 2023, I will be eligible for an indefinite leave to remain status, and by 2024 I can apply for british citizenship.

In terms of credit scores, mine is very good (better than his), and I have a bigger combined credit card limit (around £8k). I also have a more stable income than him, and as I have a permanent contract with the NHS, my job status is also more stable than his.

My partner is very impatient and wants to get this house ASAP as he has already saved up enough money for the deposit (looking to get a £250-300k house), while I also have enough savings for fees and renovation costs. I, on the other hand, is concerned about my visa status.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
  • hi all

so how many of us are now caught in being miss sold new houses that are meant to be freehold but we now have to pay a maintenance fee to outside maintenance companys that can put up fees without doing any work???

is this the next big miss selling thing ??? hope so as this needs to be stopped asap
  • webjaved
    webjaved Posts: 618
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Surely it must be in some documents where it tells you whether the tenure is leasehold or freehold?
    Save £12k in 2019 #154 - £14,826.60/£12k
    Save £12k in 2020 #128 - £4,155.62/£10k
  • thank you for the helpful tips!
  • Thanks for clear the doubts about house buying. Loft ladders are used to shift a new house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure