Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Blackjynx
    • By Blackjynx 16th Aug 19, 7:57 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Blackjynx
    NPower
    • 16th Aug 19, 7:57 AM
    NPower 16th Aug 19 at 7:57 AM
    Hi, Im looking for some advice on my fixed tariff from NPower. I rang them to renew & they gave me a price that was 20 cheaper per month than I was on originally. I took this offer & its all been accepted. However, I called them to see if my account was in credit or debit & I was told that my acct was in credit by over 200! When I asked for that to be refunded, I was told that that was how theyd gotten my monthly payments so low! No one told me any of this when I agreed to the next fixed year & im not sure what to do - surely they must have to refund that money, not keep it & reduce my payments? I was quite happy paying 30 a fortnight but they say if they refund the money Ill only get roughly 10 back as my energy price will got through the roof!

Id appreciate any help with this as I feel completely ripped off & theyre not being transparent in the renewal of my contract with them.

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
  • nPower
    • 16th Aug 19, 8:19 AM
    • 16th Aug 19, 8:19 AM
    Hi, Im looking for some advice on my fixed tariff from NPower. I rang them to renew & they gave me a price that was 20 cheaper per month than I was on originally. I took this offer & its all been accepted. However, I called them to see if my account was in credit or debit & I was told that my acct was in credit by over 200! When I asked for that to be refunded, I was told that that was how theyd gotten my monthly payments so low! No one told me any of this when I agreed to the next fixed year & im not sure what to do - surely they must have to refund that money, not keep it & reduce my payments? I was quite happy paying 30 a fortnight but they say if they refund the money Ill only get roughly 10 back as my energy price will got through the roof!

Id appreciate any help with this as I feel completely ripped off & theyre not being transparent in the renewal of my contract with them.

Thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by Blackjynx

Hello Blackjynx,

Thank you for your post. One of the team will be happy to look into your account and your usage/payments for you.

Please email us your details to the address on our profile page.

Thanks
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
    • DawnCrush
    • By DawnCrush 17th Aug 19, 5:06 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    DawnCrush
    • 17th Aug 19, 5:06 AM
    • 17th Aug 19, 5:06 AM
    Hi, I’m looking for some advice on my fixed tariff from NPower. I rang them to renew & they gave me a price that was 20 cheaper per month than I was on originally. I took this offer & it’s all been accepted. However, I called them to see if my account was in credit or debit & I was told that my acct was in credit by over 200! When I asked for that to be refunded, I was told that that was how they’d gotten my monthly payments so low! No one told me any of this when I agreed to the next fixed year & im not sure what to do - surely they must have to refund that money, not keep it & reduce my payments? I was quite happy paying 30 a fortnight but they say if they refund the money I’ll only get roughly 10 back as my energy price will got through the roof!

I’d appreciate any help with this as I feel completely ripped off & they’re not being transparent in the renewal of my contract with them.

Thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by Blackjynx
    I'm not sure why your account balance would have come as any surprise - it will be shown on every statement you receive.

If you wish to have any credit balance returned, you can request it; it is your money afterall.
    But be aware that a refund of any credit certainly can result in an increase in the monthly amount requested by the supplier via direct debit.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/lower-energy-direct-debits/

Remember that any amount collected monthly by direct debit is simply credited to your account as any statement will indicate. It will be used to offset whatever you are charged according to the tariff agreed.

I do not understand your comment that your "energy price will got through the roof" if you request a refund of your account credit; the cost of your energy does not change with what your monthly payment or account balance is - the cost is based on your tariff and what you consume.

When you were offered a new tariff, I am sure you would have been provided full details of the tariff offered including unit charge(s) and daily standing charge. I'm not sure how more transparant any supplier can be than that.

The following MSE article advises how to get yourself a cheap energy deal.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity/
    Last edited by DawnCrush; Today at 5:15 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,967Posts Today

6,227Users online

Martin's Twitter