Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 15th Aug 19, 11:38 AM
    • 280Posts
    • 11Thanks
    xlnc99
    Credit File Amendment in Writing - Help
    • 15th Aug 19, 11:38 AM
    Credit File Amendment in Writing - Help 15th Aug 19 at 11:38 AM
    Hi,

I have an issue in which i was told as a goodwill gesture i would have an amendment of my credit file for a late payment . This was done on a live chat in which i have the conversation as proof. I questioned if they have the authorisation they said yes, i confirmed 3 times so there was no confusion of everything that was agreed and they said no problem, its done.

Fast forward 3 weeks and ive been told on the telephone i was told incorrect information and they would not amend the information

Question is do the company have to honour what i was told initially as i also have it for evidence. Is there any legal precedence or policy/regulation that the company must follow through on what i was told

Thanks
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Aug 19, 11:43 AM
    • 23,294 Posts
    • 25,836 Thanks
    zx81
    • 15th Aug 19, 11:43 AM
    • 15th Aug 19, 11:43 AM
    If they made a mistake, they can correct it, so they are not bound by what was previously said, as long as what they are doing is legal.

You might be able to persuade them to it as a goodwill gesture, but it very much depends on the circumstances.
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 15th Aug 19, 11:45 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    xlnc99
    • 15th Aug 19, 11:45 AM
    • 15th Aug 19, 11:45 AM
    Basically i was told my file for one month payment would be ammended as a goodwill gesture on live chat as described above. All in writing on the live chat

On the telephone call today i was told it would not be allowed and they dont offer goodwill gestures

Is this allowed? This is quite harsh, surley they have to keep to their word. A mistake i can understand but i spoke to the live chat operator several times to confirm she would be doing this and she has the authorisation to do it and she said yes.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Aug 19, 11:47 AM
    • 23,294 Posts
    • 25,836 Thanks
    zx81
    • 15th Aug 19, 11:47 AM
    • 15th Aug 19, 11:47 AM
    Yes, as above, it's allowed.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 15th Aug 19, 12:42 PM
    • 5,718 Posts
    • 3,795 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 15th Aug 19, 12:42 PM
    • 15th Aug 19, 12:42 PM
    Yes it’s allowed.

Unless it was a genuine error on there part.

Which if you’re referring to your mobile phone bill, it isn’t, since you’ve already admitted on here you were late with the payment.
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 15th Aug 19, 1:43 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    xlnc99
    • 15th Aug 19, 1:43 PM
    • 15th Aug 19, 1:43 PM
    This is a shame. Cant believe they are allowed to get away with this. I was happy they were going to remove this as a good will gesture.

Doesnt look like i have a case now, although i may still complain to the communication board and take this further on the grounds of misinformation or sometihing
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 15th Aug 19, 2:08 PM
    • 5,718 Posts
    • 3,795 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 15th Aug 19, 2:08 PM
    • 15th Aug 19, 2:08 PM
    On what basis?

You made a late payment. Itís been marked as such.
    Why should they remove it as a gesture of goodwill?
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 15th Aug 19, 2:11 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    xlnc99
    • 15th Aug 19, 2:11 PM
    • 15th Aug 19, 2:11 PM
    because they said they would and now have backtracked

Plenty of examples all over here with companies removing it as goodwill gestures, infact removing defaults as goodwill gestures let alone one late repayment
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 15th Aug 19, 2:17 PM
    • 5,718 Posts
    • 3,795 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 15th Aug 19, 2:17 PM
    • 15th Aug 19, 2:17 PM
    It’s entirely circumstantial.

What did you do that deserves to it be removed under a gesture of goodwill?

Just because it happened to one or several people doesn’t mean it happens for all.

This is money saving expert, not get me out of dodge expert.
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 15th Aug 19, 2:20 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    xlnc99
    What is circumstantial? Whether or not i deserve one or not, or whether or not people have gotten one before is irrelevant to my situation. I was just giving an example

My point is, they told me in writing it would be removed through a goodwill gesture. Now they have backtracked and said no......
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 15th Aug 19, 2:23 PM
    • 5,718 Posts
    • 3,795 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Then raise a complaint.

They’re still not obliged to do it regardless.

Make sure you word your complaint along the lines of:

“Please remove my late payment marker for when I paid you late because other people have had it done so I want the same please”.
    • sambaird
    • By sambaird 15th Aug 19, 2:43 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sambaird
    I'm guessing you made the payment more than one day after the due date then!
    (callback to earlier stupid advice given by the op on a similar topic).

As above, the company has every right to correct a mistake made by an employee.

I've not known a company to have a blanket policy of not offering good-will gestures, as this is part and parcel of resolving complaints - and fairly common-place in the finance industry. What has probably happened is that the person you spoke to on the phone looked at your account history and felt that you didn't merit one in this case... things that I'd be looking at in this instance would be if you've had any previous late payments, whether you are making the company enough money through your account behaviour, lastly... and probably the most important.. your attitude when dealing with staff - a good attitude goes a long way with call-center staff (speaking for myself as an ex-call center worker in a previous life).
    Last edited by sambaird; 15-08-2019 at 2:47 PM.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 15th Aug 19, 2:52 PM
    • 5,718 Posts
    • 3,795 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    That and the fact that it should have been raised at the time it happened not XX months or years later.
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 15th Aug 19, 4:05 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    xlnc99
    I'm guessing you made the payment more than one day after the due date then!
    (callback to earlier stupid advice given by the op on a similar topic).

As above, the company has every right to correct a mistake made by an employee.

I've not known a company to have a blanket policy of not offering good-will gestures, as this is part and parcel of resolving complaints - and fairly common-place in the finance industry. What has probably happened is that the person you spoke to on the phone looked at your account history and felt that you didn't merit one in this case... things that I'd be looking at in this instance would be if you've had any previous late payments, whether you are making the company enough money through your account behaviour, lastly... and probably the most important.. your attitude when dealing with staff - a good attitude goes a long way with call-center staff (speaking for myself as an ex-call center worker in a previous life).
    Originally posted by sambaird
    I agree with the above, you need the right attuide when speaking/emailing to these people. Never go about in a huff and puff and always spoke politely to them.

It really is about pot luck, who you speak to and whether they can bother to help you the way you want. Ive had 50 percent success rate so far, was never expecting 100%
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 16th Aug 19, 7:26 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    xlnc99
    Update: Company has decided to uphold my complaint as a good will due to the information i was given by their staff and will remove data.

Thanks for the help
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 16th Aug 19, 7:27 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    xlnc99
    FYI - it took alot of emails and perseverance to the chain higher up the ladder. This i find is always the best way to go forward for a complaint.

However it doesnt work all the time. Ive not had success with another company who have been terrible to be frank.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,880Posts Today

5,972Users online

Martin's Twitter