Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • antispam246
    • By antispam246 14th Aug 19, 6:35 PM
    • 908Posts
    • 736Thanks
    antispam246
    Internation al return for damaged item as the seller?
    • 14th Aug 19, 6:35 PM
    Internation al return for damaged item as the seller? 14th Aug 19 at 6:35 PM
    Hopefully straight forward just been a long time since I had to fufill a return let alone an international one.

I'm a private ebay seller, sold a working hard disk drive, securely and appropriately packaged and sent with full cover and tracking via royal mail to Cyprus.

Buyer is now claiming (2 weeks after being sent) it's not working, clicking noise when installed and likely damaged in post, totally believable.

So, they started a claim on ebay and ebay are pushing me to pay postal costs, I have stated I am unable to send/attack label as it's in another country, I have messaged buyer to explain and asked them to arrange postage with appropriate packaging and cover, also asked for pictures of original packaging if possible and receipt and proof of postage when done.

So my main query is, I have to pay for the return postage correct? Can I claim this back by any means? Be it through a claim with royal mail for original postage (I'm assuming that will only cover the original post out), or perhaps through paypal? I know paypal usually cover postage costs but this would be more applicable to the buyer in this case right? Which, assuming they are registered for (they paid with paypal), essentially means, they can not only get me to pay for return postage costs but also claim it back with paypal, basically making money for free?

I know I'm missing something here, so any pointers appreciated.

Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 14th Aug 19, 7:01 PM
    • 13,554 Posts
    • 9,264 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 14th Aug 19, 7:01 PM
    • 14th Aug 19, 7:01 PM
    Proving damage via courier/post is difficult and you may struggle to reclaim the costs of the damage.

That aside, as a return for SNAD you need to pay the returns postage.

Paypal don't "usually" cover postage costs, they have a reimbursement scheme and I have no idea if it is applicable in Cyprus.

Have you checked with the buyer if they have registered and if they are eligible for the scheme?
    • GabbaGabbaHey
    • By GabbaGabbaHey 14th Aug 19, 9:06 PM
    • 901 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    GabbaGabbaHey
    • 14th Aug 19, 9:06 PM
    • 14th Aug 19, 9:06 PM
    Do you really want the broken disk back? What are you going to do with it?

It might be easier to just issue a refund and tell the buyer not to return it.
    Philip
    • antispam246
    • By antispam246 14th Aug 19, 11:04 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    antispam246
    • 14th Aug 19, 11:04 PM
    • 14th Aug 19, 11:04 PM
    Probably makes more sense. I suppose it would be dependant on whether I can make a successful claim on it for damage, past occurrences of a similar nature with royal mail have actually been processed successfully quickly as I recall. The other possibility, long shot, is warranty, as it was removed from a laptop with warranty for an upgrade, it's WD and they're pretty decent with warranty.

I always take pictures of everything and evidence of working condition prior, as well as packing stages which have probably contributed to successful claims in the past.

• soolin
    • By soolin 15th Aug 19, 6:47 AM
    • 62,450 Posts
    • 44,883 Thanks
    soolin
    • 15th Aug 19, 6:47 AM
    • 15th Aug 19, 6:47 AM
    Probably makes more sense. I suppose it would be dependant on whether I can make a successful claim on it for damage, past occurrences of a similar nature with royal mail have actually been processed successfully quickly as I recall. The other possibility, long shot, is warranty, as it was removed from a laptop with warranty for an upgrade, it's WD and they're pretty decent with warranty.

I always take pictures of everything and evidence of working condition prior, as well as packing stages which have probably contributed to successful claims in the past.
    Originally posted by antispam246
    You are unlikely to get anywhere with a claim against a courier without all original packaging and the item. Also, have you double checked your courier t and c's to make sure item was even covered, many do not cover PC parts.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • antispam246
    • By antispam246 15th Aug 19, 5:24 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    antispam246
    • 15th Aug 19, 5:24 PM
    • 15th Aug 19, 5:24 PM
    You are unlikely to get anywhere with a claim against a courier without all original packaging and the item. Also, have you double checked your courier t and c's to make sure item was even covered, many do not cover PC parts.
    Originally posted by soolin

Just double checked and there's no exclusions against my item, including the destination for damage or loss.

Just waiting to hear back from buyer in regards to original packaging. I do have it photographed in packing stages and completion which has been sufficient before regardless.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,900Posts Today

5,875Users online

Martin's Twitter