Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ZedsDadBaby
    • By ZedsDadBaby 14th Aug 19, 9:36 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ZedsDadBaby
    CCC made by Drydensfairfax on behalf of Erudio
    • 14th Aug 19, 9:36 PM
    CCC made by Drydensfairfax on behalf of Erudio 14th Aug 19 at 9:36 PM
    Hi all. This is my first post, so please be understanding if I havenít done anything right!

In 2010 I had almost paid off my student loan (1997-2001). However, I was made redundant and had to defer year on year. The SLC handed over the debt to Erudio. Around 2013 or 2014, my wife paid off the debt. We canít remember if it was by credit or debit card. The bank have asked when, but we simply canít remember.
    We moved in 2015 and by this time, Iím working as a teacher. Erudio start contacting me about the outstanding amount. Iíve told them Iíve paid it off.
    I keep getting calls about this outstanding debt. When I answer, they say theyíre calling Ďon behalfí of Erudio. When I call back, itís a company called ĎCapquestí. I look them up and theyíre debt collectors.
    Erudio say they no longer have my file and theyíve passed it on to debt collectors. Theyíve asked for evidence weíve paid it off and we canít find any.
    In my payslips at work, I noticed payments being made for Student Loans. I then noticed this payment stopping. I get a letter from HMRC saying that Iíve paid my student loans off.
    Periodically, Iíd get a call from these capquest people. Iíd ignore and block.
    Last month I got a letter from Dryden Fairfax asking for breakdown of my earnings as I owe Erudio. I ignored it. Now Iíve got what looks like a County Court Claim from Dryden Fairfax saying I need to pay immediately.

My wife has searched her bank records and canít find anything. We have no receipt or evidence from that time showing weíve paid it off. I canít even find my letter from HMRC saying Iíve paid it off.

What should I do in this instance? Is this genuine or are they scamming me? The CCC form looks genuine. Please help me as I am rather worried.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Aug 19, 9:47 PM
    • 23,294 Posts
    • 25,836 Thanks
    zx81
    • 14th Aug 19, 9:47 PM
    • 14th Aug 19, 9:47 PM
    Anything you think is a scam is never a scam. At the very best, it's an admin error.

Ask them for the balance and payments to date. If you can evidence additional payments, send them the evidence.

Otherwise, the debt would seem valid.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,967Posts Today

6,227Users online

Martin's Twitter