How long are virgin media originated phone numbers in quarantine?

Hi all.

My phone and broadband switched from NowTV to Post Office on 7 August. Despite being issued with a temporary phone number when placing the order with Post Office they assured me my phone number would transfer over on the switching date.

Needless to say, 3 days after switching I still don’t have my landline number. Ringing my number results in a dead line dial tone. Speaking to Post Office they advise it can take up to 10 working days to get the number back.

I’ve checked a site that shows the originating supplier of the number to be Virgin Media. Does anyone envision any issue getting my number back? I assume Virgin Media quarantine numbers for a decent amount of time to cover problems like this?

Many thanks.

M.

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    But you had already ported the number from VM to Sky's Nowtv service? So nothing to do with VM. If the port hasn't been requested then the number is gone. It will be recycled to a new customer after 6 months.
  • mrochester
    mrochester Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    In the past the number has been ported from Virgin Media to Sky and from Sky to NowTV. This is the first time the number hasn't ported as expected.
  • worried_jim
    Combo Breaker First Post
    So no longer VM's number and nothing to do with them. Nowtv are your point of contact.
  • mrochester
    So no longer VM's number and nothing to do with them. Nowtv are your point of contact.

So the number will be in NowTV's quarantine pool? I'm going to leave it for Post Office to sort out.
  • worried_jim
    Combo Breaker First Post
    mrochester wrote: »
    So the number will be in NowTV's quarantine pool? I'm going to leave it for Post Office to sort out.

Totally. Its like buying a car, if it had had 4 previous owners you still go back to the person you bought it from.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 August 2019 at 11:28AM
    If the number was originally a VM number that was at some point in the past, ported to Sky/NowTV, and then you tried to keep the number when migrating from Now TV to the PO and you have ended up with a ‘new’ number from the PO (which is AFAIK just Talk Talk resold by the PO ) then the chances of you getting the original number back are slim to non existent.

When the port wasn’t done correctly by the PO, then the number reverts back to the number range holder, according to you that is VM, if there is a ‘back door’ method of the PO requesting the number to be ported by VM to PO, without any formal ordering process ( porting is normally done in association with the migration order , not done afterwards on a separate request) , then that relies on good will by VM, and frankly why would they bother, you are not a customer of theirs, it’s not like you can threaten to leave them and use someone else, and the PO having the ability or desire to move off script and try something over and above above standard customer service, and TBH, I doubt they would even try, just fall back on the ‘sorry, can’t do anything, check the T&C’s, we don’t guarantee numbers’ script.

Depending on how important the number is to you, basically you have two realistic choices, accept the new number and move on, or cancel PO ( arguing that not porting the number was a key part of using them , and insist they release you penalty free, ) of course they are under no obligation to accept what you want, and then join VM again , and hope that VM can get the original number back, but again they may say they will make best efforts, but stop short of a guarantee that they will restore the number you previously had.

Something not available to you is to just say ‘well I will just go back to how it was with Sky/NowTV, ‘ that ship has sailed, if you went back to them it would also be with a new number
  • mrochester
    This information is now conflicting with one person saying the number will be in NowTVs quarantine pool with someone else saying it is in Virgin Media’s pool. Which is it?

At the end of the day it doesn’t actually matter as it’s an issue for Post Office to sort out.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    mrochester wrote: »
    This information is now conflicting with one person saying the number will be in NowTVs quarantine pool with someone else saying it is in Virgin Media’s pool. Which is it?

At the end of the day it doesn’t actually matter as it’s an issue for Post Office to sort out.

As you say, ultimately it’s for the PO to sort out ( something that shouldn't inspire confidence)...basically ‘landline’ number portability needs the number range holders involvement, in your first port from VM to Sky, when someone called your landline number , the call is first presented to the range holders network (VM) that network determines that they don’t have that individual number anymore, and indicates what network the number is now part of, the call is reset by the originating network and presented again to the gaining providers network and your phone rings , it’s all done in milliseconds.

If you move again and the correct process not followed , when someone calls your number, instead of ( in your case) VM network saying to the originator ‘not my number go to this operator’ , it says it’s my number ( because the port failed , the message VM got was this number is not needed any more, remove port and cease number ) instead of present calls to this new providers network, so the caller gets the appropriate number not in service tone or message from VM.

Trying to sort this out after the event is problematic, and most wouldnt even try to sort it out, and as porting the number is a cost to the number range holder, once the obligation to port is removed ( in this case by PO mistaking saying to VM you didn’t need the number , take it back ) once it is back with VM , they don’t need to help out you or the PO
  • mrochester
    Post Office have now responded to me saying ‘due to unforeseen circumstances we are not able to retain your old phone number’.

They go on to say that ‘When you placed the order online you should have received a message stating that the number could not be retained in the order and we can't retain your number now because it is owned by Virgin.’

As indicated in my order details with Post Office, and with my first email enquiry, and with 2 customer service advisors on the phone, my order states that the number will be ported over.

It sounds like Post Office have cocked up royally!
  • mrochester
    As a follow up to this post Post Office permitted me to end my minimum term early without penalty to move to a new provider.

I arranged to switch to Now Broadband using the new phone number that Post Office supplied me with.

Anyone wish to guess what has happened?

Yes, that’s right, the new phone number allocated by Post Office has been cut off and Now Broadband have allocated me a new phone number!

Why can I no longer transport phone numbers between providers?

I have yet to contact Now Broadband to find out what is going on as I’ve only just discovered the fact that a second phone number has been lost in a switch between providers.

I just can’t believe the incompetence of these providers, especially as I have never had an issue like this before and it’s now happened to me twice in as many months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure