ESA CB IR top up

Options
Hello,

I first claimed ESA around April 2015 and after my assessment and mandatory reconsideration I was placed in the support group in September 2015. I was never told that there are two types of ESA and due to NHS dental charges I have found out I am on contributions based ESA.

This has led me to do some more research about my benefits and entitlement. I did a benefits calculator and it says I should be in receipt of £125 including an Income Related top up/Enhanced Disability Premium. I have never been in receipt of this, just the standard £110. As I understand it, if I was on Income Related ESA and in the support group I would have been entitled to this automatically.

I would appreciate some help trying to understand this, as the DWP website on Enhanced Disability Premiums/IR top ups is not clear on my entitlement . Logically I believe I am entitled to this, as otherwise I am missing out on £15 a week simply because I paid in enough contributions to claim ESA(CB) and as I am in the support group my contributions never run out.

To further complicate the issue I understand that even if I was aware of this when I applied, I wouldn't have been able to claim ESA(IR) because Contributions are always paid first and as I was put into the support group before 1 year of making my claim my contributions last forever.

I have been hit with massive fines from the NHS, which is making my condition worse due to stress. I simply cannot afford these fines. My local CAB advised me to fill in the NHS low income forms, which I have and will be sending off. They did not seem to know much about the income related top up and did not do a benefits check with me.

If I was eligible for an IR top up to my ESA(CB) then I would have been eligible for free treatment all along and these fines would be moot.

I hope somebody can shed some light on this situation for me.

Thanks,
Steve

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    To be entitled to the Income related top up will depend on household income. So, do you live with a partner that works at all?

Do you claim PIP or DLA, if so what award do you have?
  • Stevenpowell
    Options
    Hello,
    Thank you for your response. I live with my parents. My dad is retired and my mother is a carer for my auntie. I am not in receipt of any other benefits myself.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello,
    Thank you for your response. I live with my parents. My dad is retired and my mother is a carer for my auntie. I am not in receipt of any other benefits myself.
    Then you should be claiming this Enhanced disability premium. Ring ESA Monday wand ask them to send you the ESA3 form to apply for Income Related top up. You'll then get the prescriptions/dental treatment. Once you've successfully claimed it. Also ask for it to be backdated to when you were put into the Support Group.
  • Stevenpowell
    Options
    Thank you so much for your prompt response. I will do it first thing Monday. I thought this might be the case, but have been so incredibly confused by it all.

Edit- I will post back here with an update, as this thread may help someone else in a similar situation.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 June 2018 at 10:40PM
    Options
    Here's a copy of the ESA3 form, so you see what info is required:
    https://gmwrag.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/esa3.pdf

Worth checking if you're in a UC area:
    https://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate

If so it will be a UC claim (I think) rather than an Income-related ESA claim.

If it is UC you should be better off as you will be entitled (since you are in the SG of ESA) to the additional LCWRA element of £328pm.
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Universal-Credit/Additional-Elements-of-Universal-Credit
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Andreaspage
    Options
    Hello,
    I posted on another thread but I think it has been closed.
    I was moved from incapacity benefit to contributory ESA support group in June 2013.
    I was informed in February this year that I might be eligible for enhanced disability premium and to be backdated to Oct 2014.
    I was sent form, filled it in, and was awarded enhanced disability premium, but only backdated to February this year.
    I had written on the form and enclosed letter I wanted it backdated.
    Many phone calls to ESA asking when my application would be looked at, I was informed it was with Oldham. I had a call today from Torquay saying they would be dealing with my application and I would receive a phone call from them when the batch of applications start to be looked at that includes my application. The person who called me said that they would ask questions over the phone to assess if I'm eligible for any premiums. I informed him that I've already been assessed and I'm eligible for enhanced disability premium but he said they need to go through another application.
    Is this correct procedure? I'm scared my application isn't being processed correctly.
    Thank you
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    They may need to check on your situation prior to October 14 to confirm entitlement before that date. Work gets moved around the country on a regular basis so don't worry about reference to Oldham and then a call from Torquay.
  • t.i.s90
    Options
    if I make a joint claim with my partner for universal credit but haven't booked the interview, will it affect my esa claim?
  • Andreaspage
    Andreaspage Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for answering my query, I really appreciate it.
    The thing that's concerning me is that Torquay don't have my details on screen. He said that he had spoken to his supervisor and that my national ins no is one they will be processing. He said they contact people they think are entitled to payment of premiums unpaid, then go through an application to see if I'd be entitled to any premiums and then it can take about 3 months to process.
    I told him I'd already put in an application for enhanced disability premium and have been awarded it.
    I was initially told when I received my application in April, that the application process was first come first served, but from speaking to the person today, I feel they are going by national ins no, and then contacting people.
    Do you know how the disability premiums are being processed?
    Thank you
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    very helpful thread
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing