Is she being Scammed?

Options
Hi Everyone,

ok bare with me as I don't know too many of the details for this, but it sounds dodgy and I wasn't 100% sure which forum to post it into.

My Fiance's best friend has been chatting to a chap in America, she likes him, he appears to like her, lots of photos being passed back and forth. Now he says that he wants to come over and visit. she is excited about this and would obvs like to see where it could go in terms of a relationship. I was already suspicious at this point but then my Fiance said that this chap had asked her friend to open a bank account in her name over here that he could use while he is here as that would just be easier...to me this sounded strange straight away. I thought about money laundering, handling stolen money, all kinds of things that could be done with that. From what I understand it would be in her name...it wouldn't be in his. Is it just me who would have a problem with it? I don't know how the scam would work, but I am really worried that she might agree to it, and I don't know what to point her to that shows her that this is definitely a scam. I mean if it's not that's cool and everyone on here thinks its kosher, as I'd like to see her happy, but my spidey sense is tingling and I don't want to see her scammed!

Any advice anyone can help me with for this would be appreciated.

cheers

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Friend opens account
    Chap funds account with money from fraud
    Chap comes up with reason to ask friend to withdraw the money and send it to him via Western union
    Chap dissapears
    Friend gets arrested
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 June 2018 at 9:10PM
    Options
    The bank account is totally unnecessary so I would guess it's a scam.

Photos are one thing - have they Skyped so she can see if the man matches the pictures?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Friend gets email from a brand new American best friend and the cycle begins again...
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with Andypix, some kind of beneficiary scam is likely. Either it would be used for money laundering, or possibly they could try to milk your friend by claiming an outgoing transaction failed and that your friend should reimburse them "until the bank reverses the payment" or somesuch.

If the guy is legitimate he can use a prepaid card, traveller's cheques, buy Sterling at the airport, whatever.

Please do your best to warn your friend off this, as if she opens an account using her own details she could end up out of pocket, with a CIFAS marker against her, prosecuted, or all of the above. Being involved in financial crime is no joke and WOULD cause her severe and lasting detriment. It's just not worth the risk.
    : )
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It definitely looks like a scam. And almost certainly is a scam.

Why would he want a bank account here? It makes it easier for what?

If she does open an account and gives him access to it she is breaking the bank's rules. So, even if he does nothing illegal she could still find the bank closes her accounts - not just the 'new' one but the existing one(s) too.

But he very probably is planning something illegal..Which make it worse - she breaks bank's rules AND breaks the law. She ends up losing banking facility and she gets arrested.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Senseicads wrote: »
    Any advice anyone can help me with for this would be appreciated.

Best thing would be for the friend to tell the man that her 'policeman' ex has contacted her and wants to get back together.... so sorry, not sure the visit to the UK would be such a good idea.

She needs to avoid the temptation to be rude or agressive in any way and just hope that she never hears from the guy again.

That's assuming you can convince her that this sounds about as dodgy as it can get, bar him being a prince living in Nigeria, rather than an ordinary Joe in the US.

The scam will probably involve her giving him all the log in details etc to the account so he can do some kind of online fraud, with no intention of ever setting foot in the UK, far less starting a relationship with someone on another continent.

Good luck talking to her, hope you manage to help her avoid a massive mistake.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sit tight...the next step is the friend being asked to fund the flight/trip due to cashflow problems, "promise I'll pay as soon as I touch down".

This smells more than a 6 week old salmon kept behind a radiator in Mr. Stinky's house of 100 cats.
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The quick answer is: Yes.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    possibly they could try to milk your friend
    Steady on, they hardly know each other.... ;)
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Tell her to tell him to open his own bank account when he arrives in the UK
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business