Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Comments

• dizzybee
    dizzybee Posts: 1,415
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Looking for some advice please i have always taken the fairfax card when traveling to the usa but my son says that the post office pre paid travel card is better, were going to Vagas in sept.any ideas please.x

SPC no:076
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    dizzybee wrote: »
    Looking for some advice please i have always taken the fairfax card when traveling to the usa but my son says that the post office pre paid travel card is better, were going to Vagas in sept.any ideas please.x
    You might benefit from reading the thread's recent pages.

Or the site's article on the subject.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cards/travel-credit-cards

Revolut prepay or Halifax Clarity credit card may be where you conclude your thinking.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    You might benefit from reading the thread's recent pages.

Or the site's article on the subject.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cards/travel-credit-cards

Revolut prepay or Halifax Clarity credit card may be where you conclude your thinking.

....or Creation Everyday.
  • My pre-paid WeSwap card was refused in store (Sweden) on Wednesday, and then approved on the second attempt. However WeSwap took TWO payments off the card, one for the first "declined" attempt and one for the second successful transaction.

I contacted WeSwap support on Wednesday about this. No reply. Contacted them again on Friday. No reply. Private messaged the Facebook page on Saturday. No reply.

Today I publicly messaged both the Facebook and the Twitter pages and finally received a reply from support saying they have "blocked" my card to "investigate" (when it appears to be a straightforward merchant pre-authorisation error) and - this is unbelievable - asking me to sign a "dispute" form that carries a £10 charge against me if I am found to be in error in this matter.

I'm kind of thinking I've just lost the small amount of money I had left on the card (plus the extra "double" payment last week). So I really just wanted to advise readers out there to beware of WeSwap, and never load the card with any sum of money that you can't afford to lose.

Thanks.
  • stewpot126
    stewpot126 Posts: 11
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    A couple of comments re Clarity and Fairfx. Re Clarity, has it been mentioned that if you withdraw cash from an ATM using this card, you are charged interest with immediate effect.
    Re Fairfx, if you forget or want to change your email address, you can't do this yourself - you have to send a request to Fairfx to do this. I did this and they made a mess of the change, leaving me insufficient time to guarantee receiving my new card. Not impressed.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    stewpot126 wrote: »
    A couple of comments re Clarity and Fairfx. Re Clarity, has it been mentioned that if you withdraw cash from an ATM using this card, you are charged interest with immediate effect.
    Re Fairfx, if you forget or want to change your email address, you can't do this yourself - you have to send a request to Fairfx to do this. I did this and they made a mess of the change, leaving me insufficient time to guarantee receiving my new card. Not impressed.
    The interest charge on clarity has been mentioned, yes.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,056
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    stewpot126 wrote: »

I'm not sure if you have a question here but you should be aware that the Clarity is a credit card whereas the Fairfx is a prepaid travel card.

Yes, you are charged interest immediately with the Clarity credit card but the exchange rate that you get is one of the best and you can easily pay off the balance with online transfers to minimise the interest charge.
  • dunramblin
    dunramblin Posts: 36 Forumite
    edited 9 June 2016 at 12:35PM
    I loaded 2 lots of money yesterday using 2 different cards. Suddenly my account was locked, the money was taken and I could not get back into my account. I contacted weswap and they said someone would be in touch. Nobody was in touch. They emailed me asking for some info. I gave them the info. Still nothing, still cannot access my account. They have my card details and I have no idea what they are doing. I am thinking of contacting the police for theft. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE.

update ..
    They finally got back to me after I started posting reviews.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    dunramblin wrote: »
    They finally got back to me after I started posting reviews.
    So what's the story - why was your account locked? Has it been resolved?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • SaleemShah wrote: »
    The MSE code for opening Revolut account has maxed out. Are there any other codes available?

Apologies for the confusion, the code is indeed up and running and hasn't yet maxed out. We hope you enjoy using Revolut!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback