Asset link capital - very old visa card - advice please?

Options

Comments

• Danniella
    Options
    cracker666 wrote: »
    I rang the cccs but as it was so old our details are archived.
    he did mention though statue debt where if they hav'nt been in contact or payments havnt been made in 6 years it would be classed as statued debt.

From what ive read they will try to convince you that it is still enforceable.

upon reading the coop letter, only the account number has been sold, and it is not an escalation of action against us, it is a strategic decision by the bank in relation to how it manages accounts in arrears.

this letter didnt mention amount, only the asset link did.

ive been advised the following:

1st, sort out a letter to the coop asking for further information on this, DONOT ACKNOWLEDGE THE DEBT, sent recorded and keep a copy.
    2nd if this fails you then go fsa.

im reading up on everything inc statued debt, etc.

time to go in the loft and get my paperwork down.

one things for sure it has had a negative effect on xmas, as I was sure this was sorted out.

If your debt was paid through CCCS, shouldnt this be paid off via them under the agreement or am i thinking of an IVA?

I am pretty sure i have shredded the paperwork because it is simply so old. My issue is that if they start chasing for this, i will have to pay it initially and then prove it is not owed and ask for my money back since we are getting a new mortgage next year and this will cause us a major problem!

On the Co-Op letter, ours doesnt have a phone number or an address to write to (very strange).

Have you seen the links above in relation to sending the. 'prove it' letters? I may have to use that since i am absolutely 100% sure this has been paid!

If i contact Assist, they wll absolutely say its owing, i cannot contact Co-op, so i am going to trawl through my pc c-drive to see if there are any letters on there, that relate to it.

So annoying when i know this is not owed. However i am working all over christmas and new year this year so i am determined not to let it spoil anything for me and my children.
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    I would guess that a significant proportion of people who are faced with such a financial demand will pay it without question, whether the debt was genuine or not. Somebody with a degenerative mental disease who is still able to manage their finances would be an ideal mark.

I have been sent demands for other peoples debts who have a similar name and live within 10 miles.

The statistical likelihood of success makes it profitable to send out a flood of demands randomly for money, under the guise of a collections company.

Proof is the key. MSE is the place to go if you have been targeted and require advice.
    J_B.
  • cracker666
    cracker666 Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 22 December 2014 at 6:17PM
    Options
    Daniella ive pm a coop number.

wont let me, try this

0161 8294193
  • Danniella
    Options
    cracker666 wrote: »
    Daniella ive pm a coop number.

wont let me, try this

0161 8294193

Thanks so much. Day off today so also going into the loft to see what i can find. Thanks once again for your help.
  • cracker666
    Options
    Daniella,
    How did you get on.

With me ive checked the loft for paperwork, and the pc.
    Checkmyfile and noodle. Found nothing relating to it, no ccj's.nothing.

I've sent a statued barred templated letter to Link Financial recorded.
    with the words alleged debt etc asking for proof of contact within 6 years blah blah.

After calling stepchange it was apparent that was the next move, after checking credit agencies.
    Now the balls in their court.

I'm expecting some calls re it, but im ex directory so I unsure if they will get my number.
  • jeffster
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I am in exactly thesame position as Daniella.

Today (Thursday 22nd January 2015) , I have also received a pair of letters, one from the Co-Op Bank and one from Asset Link Capital, claiming that I owe a sum of £150.51

I have never banked with the Co-Op, but have with "Smile", and in fact still have a current account with them.

I can vaguely remember having a "Smile" Visa card, but this was paid off and closed many years ago, I have just checked my "Noddle" credit report, and there is no mention of a "Smile" Visa card, going back as far as 2009, so 6 years ago.

I have just drafted the "Prove It" Letter, which I post tomorrow.

has anyone else who has sent Asset Link Capital a "Prove It" letter had any response from them ?

Thanks In Advance,

Jeff
  • BoredBloke
    Options
    I too have received the same 2 letters, giving a Sale Balance of just over £100, hence me seeking guidance from this site. I actually still have the credit card (don't ask me why I kept it) which expired in Feb 2003. Having been through a period of financial turmoil in the past, and having worked hard to get myself back on track, these things really annoy me.

My standard response would be to do nothing, probably not the best advice, however it has worked for me in the past. My experience is that they will chase the people that respond. I will let you know what happens when you do nothing.
  • wifesdebt
    Options
    I have also had the very same letter oustanding balance £ 140, I have had no dealings or contact with the Co Op for somewhere between 20 or 25 years. It states an account balance but doesnt clearly ask for or confirm an amount to be paid.

Is this a fishing letter to be ignored or something to respond to ?

Asset Link have not searched my credit file nothing shows, but a company called Lowell did an unrecorded search mid Oct.

Asset also wrote to my old address I moved early 2014.

Statute barred is all well and good and clearly appropriate but do we really want to get into correspondence with these people.
  • Danniella
    Danniella Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there,

Just to update you all, I looked all through the loft paperwork and found nothing. I also checked my PC for any information, again absolutely nothing.

Got completely fed up of wasting my time searching for something I 100% know was paid off years ago.

I simply wrote back telling them that this was paid off and recommended that they go back to The Cooperative and get them to double check their information before contacting me any further.

How did you lot get on?

Thanks for reading
  • cracker666
    Options
    Ive so far heard nothing.
    its been over 3 weeks since sending my letter recorded.

Do I think they will respond, no I dont.
    I think they send these fishing letters, carefully worded to be mistaken as they will take action, in the hope you will call and they will tighten the screws.

ALWAYS DEAL WITH THESE SORT OF COMPANIES VIA LETTER, easier to prove or disprove.
    Never by phone, they have trained people whom are good at nailing people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure