Help / Advice for debt that is not mine.

Hi all. I would be extremely grateful for some advice regarding a debt that I know is not mine.

I received a letter (dated 03/05/18) from a company called Lowell who was trying to locate someone with the same name as myself but at a different address – an address in Southsea, Hampshire. My first instinct was to contact them to say that I was not that person. In a way I’m glad I didn’t. A quick search online drew me to this site - great site btw, very informative. One of the threads mentioned that companies tend to send out debt letters to people with the same name in the hope that someone replies. Because of that and the fact that I have never lived in the Southsea area (I’ve lived in South Wales my whole life), I decided to ignore the letter.

I then received a second letter (dated 01/06/18) which contained a letter from BT indicating they have passed this alleged debt (which is a substantial amount) on to Lowell’s to deal with. This second letter does relate to the first letter because the reference number for Lowell is the same on both letters. The only service I’ve had from BT is a home phone and internet package which was terminated way back in March 2012 after I moved to a different provider. This account was paid up to date at all times. So I have no clue as to what this debt relates to.

A part of me wants to ignore this second letter also as I know the debt is not mine but I guess I need to do something to stop this from progressing further so any advice regarding this will be greatly appreciated.

BTW – I don’t think I’ll be using BT any more.

Kind regards.

Comments

• CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    I wouldn't ignore it, but it does sound like a pfishing letter. Reply with a prove it letter; https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247 They will have to send you information about the debt to prove that you owe it. Most of the time they can't, so that's it. If the debt is yours and you've forgotten about it, it will be timed out anyway so can't be enforced through the courts.

Hope this helps! :)
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,711
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Agreed, Lowell is the talk of the forum at present, they must of bought up a batch of bad debt and are now trying to collect.

Send the letter above, see what comes back.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Agreed, Lowell is the talk of the forum at present, they must of bought up a batch of bad debt and are now trying to collect.

Send the letter above, see what comes back.

I spoke to a rather informative member of staff a couple of months ago who told me far more than he should have :D , and this is exactly what they have done! :T
  • OldNo7
    OldNo7 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Thanks CakeCrusader & sourcrates for the replies. Will send them the prove it letter and wait for their reply.
  • Let us know how you are getting on
  • OldNo7
    Hmm, received another letter from Lowell today (dated 18/06/18) asking me to contact them to arrange payment of this alleged debt. But as I only sent the prove it letter (by recorded delivery) on the 19th June, I'm going to ignore this letter. Early days yet, early days.
  • OldNo7
    Update: Received another letter from Lowell (dated 27/06/2018) regarding the Prove It letter I recently sent. Here's the letter contents:
    We have noted the contents of your letter and we understand that you have no knowledge of this account. We are able to offer the following information regarding the account.

Agreement start date: 5th May 2016
    Tariff Description: Phone BB Hardware
    Mobile number: 02392756617
    Airtime Debt: £681.28
    Early Termination Free: £0.00
    Disconnection Date: 10th September 2016
    Default Date: 22nd December 2016

Airtime Debt is for the services used and the Early Termination Fee is calculated to reflect the remaining months of your contract which remain unpaid from the date of your account closure.

To provide further evidence of your liability for this debt we have requested, from BT PLC, copy statements of the account. Please note that the balance requested for payment is a service agreement and not a credit agreement as defined by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Our client has no obligation to provide a signed agreement under the provisions of the Act.

Are they correct is saying that BT do not have to provide a signed agreement for this?
    Is there another letter I could send them, like the Prove It letter?
    As this relates to an address that I have never lived at (as indicated in my original post) should I just tell Lowell that in the hope this will go away?

Any further advice regarding this would be appreciated.
    Regards.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,711
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    OldNo7 wrote: »
    Update: Received another letter from Lowell (dated 27/06/2018) regarding the Prove It letter I recently sent. Here's the letter contents:

Are they correct is saying that BT do not have to provide a signed agreement for this?
    Is there another letter I could send them, like the Prove It letter?
    As this relates to an address that I have never lived at (as indicated in my original post) should I just tell Lowell that in the hope this will go away?

Any further advice regarding this would be appreciated.
    Regards.

Yes they are correct, service agreements only require use of the service to accept the contract, only credit agreements require a copy to be produced on demand.

If its not your debt and you have never lived at that address, then put that in writing to Lowell.

Addresses you have lived at are usually listed on your credit file, enclosing a copy of that information can only help your case.

Providing evidence to Lowell, should put this to bed, but Ultimately you may have to defend this in court.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,256
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I wonder if going in all legalese with the prove-it letter has given them the impression that you are the person they are looking for - rather than a straightforward 'you've got the wrong John Smith, I've never lived in Hampshire'. It's what I would try.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport