Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

auto enrolment, standard life

Hi
Can you clever people give me some advice
I am 56 and haven't got a pension, not had good jobs in the past to be able to afford one.
I earn 23,000 per year now and my company put 2% in and I put3% from my wage
My question is I can afford to put in an extra £400 per month,would this be advisable or would I be better saving this money elsewhere
Thanks guys

Comments

• LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,137
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    At 56, you are not putting money away for years that you couldn't get at, so if you can afford the extra it is probably worth doing for the tax relief.
    You could look at adding it to your autoenrollment pension, or set up a separate personal pension or SIPP.
    You need to think whether you would be likely to need to access the money before your state retirement age, to decide whether to keep the new money as cash, or choose to invest it.
  • moder
    moder Posts: 6 Forumite
    Thank you
    I am not planning to dip into the money, unless something drastic happens, thanks for the advise my friend
  • moder
    moder Posts: 6 Forumite
    Further. I was hoping that my company would match my contributions, but they have said no.i have since found out that they do match certain employees pensions that have been working there a little longer than me, which has annoyed me intensely grrrrr.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,137
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    thanks for the advise
    Not advise, I am not an advisor, just some things to think about.

Pension schemes have frequently changed their terms even before autoenrollment.
    However, the amount under autoenrollment will be going up again in 2019
    https://www.nowpensions.com/help-centre/faqs/contributions/what-are-auto-enrolment-contribution-rates
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure