Employer annoyed about LinkedIn status

Comments

• stator
    stator Posts: 7,441
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    When you get the chance, just make it clear you were looking for people to invest with. Investing in something isn't a job. It's not as if you said you were looking to become a property developer. Don't feel the need to over explain yourself, or tell them everything about this course you were on, or what you wanted to do in the future. Don't give them anything they could hold against you.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Fused
    Fused Posts: 6 Forumite
    Thank you stator.

This is exactly what I thought, property investing is not an additional job, I was embarking on the course in order to study for the future, when I am in a better financial position to buy a property.

I'm sure there are many people who have purchased an additional property in order to invest for the future whilst still being employed.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Your explanation sounds perfectly reasonable. There isn't anything wrong with using linkedin to network for investment purposes.

Is the employer really going to sack anyone who has a buy-to-let property, or anyone who has a pension? Those are all investments!

It sounds like your employer has had a bit of a common sense failure. It would be beyond stupid for an employer to sack you because you were interested in investing in property.
  • Bigmoney2
    Bigmoney2 Posts: 640 Forumite
    Energize wrote: »
    Working a second job is not normally something an employer can take action against, individuals are free to engage in business with multiple employers if they wish, unless there is a direct conflict of interest it's really not an employers business what the employee gets up to out of work.

My previous employer had a policy of no second jobs without their express written permission.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Bigmoney2 wrote: »
    My previous employer had a policy of no second jobs without their express written permission.
    Just because they have a policy doesn't mean it's enforceable under law.
    They would have to provide a valid business reason for this policy, if it ever got to court.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Working a second job is not normally something an employer can take action against, individuals are free to engage in business with multiple employers if they wish, unless there is a direct conflict of interest it's really not an employers business what the employee gets up to out of work.

But the employer in this case thinks there is another employer, that is not "out of work", it is work but with a different employer. They do need to know because, if their employee has not signed a 48-our opt out, the employer needs to know they are not working in excess of the 48-hour average.
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Fused wrote: »
    I have explained why the information was there and since removed it. It had been there for nearly 2 years and had forgotten about it.
    The status said 'looking to network with likeminded property investors having completed my Progressive training' I wish I hadn't put it on there now, I didn't realise it would cause such confusion

Sounds like Progressive wants people to mention them, to provide advertising for their training.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,198
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

It's quite common to have exclusions in the contract. And while you are right that having a second job in your own time would normally be your own business, if the employer had reason to think that an employee was working at a second job during their working hours, that would be disciplinary issue.

OP, I suspect that the reference to training would be the issue. If you had simply said something like 'interested in property investment and looking to net work with other investors' it might have been less of an issue.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

My contract that I signed states I cannot have another business interest without their consent.
    Is this enforceable?

Btw something also those lines has been in most employment contracts I!!!8217;ve had although the exact wording has varied - business interest, being an employee, to working.
    I work in IT
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    lisyloo wrote: »
    My contract that I signed states I cannot have another business interest without their consent.
    Is this enforceable?

I think the general HR/legal view is that this ISN'T enforceable. The recommended wording is something like 'without our consent, which shall not be unreasonably withheld'. That IS enforceable.

It's also necessarily implied by your contract that you should ask them if you want to have another business interest. That is also enforceable. And that is what is upsetting them, I think. Not necessarily that you have another business interest (and it is a reasonable conclusion of theirs, from your LI profile, that you do, even though in fact you do not) but that you haven't asked their consent for this.

I would think your best way forward would be to explain that your LI profile is for networking opportunities, for when you can buy a second property, and is not related to work or employment in any way (assuming that I have understood your posts correctly).
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure