PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Offers over in England?

As a Scot who has emigrated to England for family reasons I am now looking for a house to buy. I am going to view one this week which is listed as offers over...Obviously this is common in Scotland and usually means that the final price will be well over the offers over price. Is this the same in England ?

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,468
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Depends. If it's just on the market in a highly sought after area, yep it's likely to go to offers over.

If it's been on a while, the vendors are likely deluded. But that doesn't mean they'll take an offer. I recently offered around 1-1.5% off a bottom end offers over asking price and they refused. Several weeks later, I gave up.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Natbag
    Natbag Posts: 1,563
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It does depend on the sellers' situation and sale history. For example, we listed our house, it sold within 2 days for the asking price. The sale fell through due to under-valuation. We re-listed it at the same price but to generate some interest we reduced it about 10 days later by £5k, but stated 'offers over'. A couple of days later we accepted an offer at the reduced price - there was no point negotiating upwards as we risked the same thing happening with the valuation (luckily it went through fine this time).
    Property buying/selling timeline - currently into week 21
    04/12/20: Both properties listed for sale
    11/01/21: Offers accepted on both sales & on our joint purchase
    25/01/21: Identity checks completed, solicitors instructed
    27/01/21: Purchase survey & valuation complete, mortgage offer received 
    05/02/21: Reduction agreed on partner's sale (under-valuation) & on purchase. Mortgage offer amended
    08/02/21: Buyers pack returned to solicitor - sellers packs already returned
    26/02/21: Partner's sale contract signed
    10/03/21: Purchase searches all back
    16/03/21: My sale contract signed
    28/03/21: Purchase enquiries satisfied, Title Report & contracts issued, contracts signed & returned
    11/05/21: Still waiting on final enquiry in the adjoining chain to be resolved. Consent to break the chain granted, instruction to move to exchange given.
    17/05/21: All parties agreed to June 3rd for completion
    27/05/21: Exchanged on my sale only
    28/05/21: ALL EXCHANGED!
    03/06/21: Completion
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Just to be clear to the OP it does not generally have the same meaning as in Scotland where I understand that means substantially over. In many cases it's just a way if stating this is their bottom line. Often buyers will ignore it anyway. So don't go offering 20% over !
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,675
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Where I am in Scotland, the market is so slow, "offers over" means you will be lucky to get any offer, let alone one above the asking price, and certainly nowhere near the home report valuation price.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Just to be clear to the OP it does not generally have the same meaning as in Scotland where I understand that means substantially over. In many cases it's just a way if stating this is their bottom line. Often buyers will ignore it anyway. So don't go offering 20% over !
    In the post-Home Reports era, the asking price in Scotland is now more usually closer to the expected selling price (since everyone can see the HR valuation upfront). There might be a few hotspots where a closing date pushes the price way up, but it's been a long time since I've seen a ridiculously low o/o price obviously pitched at attracting atttention.
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    depends on the listing price versus objective market value versus interest
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
  • Scotbot
    Scotbot Posts: 1,421
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 2 October 2017 at 8:23AM
    No. I saw a property at offers over 450 reduced from 465. Clearly over priced told the agent I thought it was worth 425. He put that forward and after a few days it was accepted. Saw another property at offers over 375 which I thought was a fair price and it went for 380

As a rule of thumb offers over indicates the lowest amount a vendor will accept but it depends on how much interest they have. Unless you are in a hot market offer the amount i.e 375 for offers over 375 and go from there
  • Scotbot
    Scotbot Posts: 1,421
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    davidmcn wrote: »
    In the post-Home Reports era, the asking price in Scotland is now more usually closer to the expected selling price (since everyone can see the HR valuation upfront). There might be a few hotspots where a closing date pushes the price way up, but it's been a long time since I've seen a ridiculously low o/o price obviously pitched at attracting atttention.

What a great idea I wish England adopted it. Would save a lot of angst for buyers and sellers.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I was in the same situation as the OP a couple of years ago, the house I bought in England was offers over £170K and I bought it for £167,500.
  • Car1980
    Car1980 Posts: 296
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just ignore the phrase and offer what you think it's worth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure