PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Periodic tenancy, tenant now leaving help

Hi
My tenant has been on a periodic tenancy for a while now, and will now be leaving in January. I was wondering is there any documentation/proof I can get the tenant to sign to validate when they leave the property? This is just to cover me in case there are any unpaid utility bills, so I can provide proof who was living at the property.

Thanks,

Comments

• Hi
    My tenant has been on a periodic tenancy for a while now, and will now be leaving in January. I was wondering is there any documentation/proof I can get the tenant to sign to validate when they leave the property? This is just to cover me in case there are any unpaid utility bills, so I can provide proof who was living at the property.

Thanks,

just get final readings in and take over the bills until the next tennant comes along. Any unpaid bills are a contract between your ex-tennant and the utility company. Nothing to do with you.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Usually you'd do a check-out inventory which will include photos of the meter readings. Any utilities up to that point are between the tenant and the utility provider(s).
  • as said above - if you really want to, you can document the return of the keys, which will hand responsibility back to you from that date
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    There's a lot of misconception on this forum about utility companies operate. The reality is that if the tenant de ide to claim they've left the property sooner en they do, and the company invoice the LL after that date, they will not be interested one bit as the contractual arrangement between the LL and tenant.

I had a tenant who called and said they'd left 3 weeks before they actually did. I had the tenancy that showed that their fixed term expired at a later date but E-On were not interested in seeing it and told me that legally (questionable!) they have to assume the leaving date given by the tenant is corre t and if not, its the responsibility of the LL to sue the tenant.

In my case it was 'only £150' and not worth going to court over it but ultimately they stole from me. Funny how they moved miles away to another rental property but I was ne er contacted for a reference!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Meet them at the property to hand over keys on the final day.

Take a (duplicated) document with you, read the meters together andadd the readings toboth documents. Each of you sign - you keep one the tenant keeps one.
  • FBaby wrote: »
    There's a lot of misconception on this forum about utility companies operate. The reality is that if the tenant de ide to claim they've left the property sooner en they do, and the company invoice the LL after that date, they will not be interested one bit as the contractual arrangement between the LL and tenant.

I had a tenant who called and said they'd left 3 weeks before they actually did. I had the tenancy that showed that their fixed term expired at a later date but E-On were not interested in seeing it and told me that legally (questionable!) they have to assume the leaving date given by the tenant is corre t and if not, its the responsibility of the LL to sue the tenant.

In my case it was 'only £150' and not worth going to court over it but ultimately they stole from me. Funny how they moved miles away to another rental property but I was ne er contacted for a reference!

That’s why you need to do check out meter readings
  • You could draft up a document yourself. I work for an energy company and have seen these from landlords with date tenancy ended and final reads for electricity, gas and water (penned in) all signed by both tenant and landlord.
    Make £10 per day-
    June: £100/£300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family