What vehicles can be driven on the road just on a car driving licence?

Comments

• Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Insert_Nut wrote: »
    Well I'm not felling any trees nor am I tending to any cattle. I'd be shovelling building materials / rubble and dumping it in to the trailer of a 34 ton / 44 ton vehicle.
    Yeah, it's mobile plant. Andy's link isn't really relevant.
    Ring the HSE. They'll be much more helpfully than the DVLA. You can't speak to them anonymously. Personally I would like to see employers like this have the book thrown at them.
  • Personally I would like to get through the day quietly without any grief coming my way. Been there, done that & had a lifetimes worth. I just want a quiet life without causing any aggro (while being legal and knowing I'm being legal). I understand some times you can't have both.

Was that a typing error or did you mean that you actually can't contact the HSE anonymously? That's offputting to say the least. That sort of thing will just open up a huge can of worms for me that I'm really not interested in. At the end of the day I enjoy the job, I like the people I work with and it's what I have to do for X-hours per week so I don't really want to be behind HSE investigations at all as it'll make my position quite difficult I'm sure.
  • Scrapit
    Personally I would like to get through the day quietly without any grief coming my way. Been there, done that & had a lifetimes worth. I just want a quiet life without causing any aggro (while being legal and knowing I'm being legal). I understand some times you can't have both.

Was that a typing error or did you mean that you actually can't contact the HSE anonymously? That's offputting to say the least. That sort of thing will just open up a huge can of worms for me that I'm really not interested in. At the end of the day I enjoy the job, I like the people I work with and it's what I have to do for X-hours per week so I don't really want to be behind HSE investigations at all as it'll make my position quite difficult I'm sure.
    You definitely can, that's can call them anonymously. Having a job is very important, having a job that won't kill you or others is more important.
  • To comply with legislation, you need the appropriate telescopic fork lift operators certificate and a CPCS card.

If your boss is allowing non-trained persons to operate a telehandler, what other rules is he breaking?.

You can report him to the HSE anonymously as i did this once. If the HSE pay the site a visit and find nothing amiss, they will not charge your boss any money. However, if they do find something amiss, they will charge him £217 per hour. If they turn up at 8 in the morning and find nothing until 3 in the afternoon, the hourly cost gets backtimed to when they turned up.

Depending on what they find, they can either give your boss a 21 day improvement notice, or, shut down the site immediately.

Is it worth the risk?. How much is a life worth?.
  • James1968 wrote: »
    To comply with legislation, you need the appropriate telescopic fork lift operators certificate and a CPCS card.

If your boss is allowing non-trained persons to operate a telehandler, what other rules is he breaking?.

You can report him to the HSE anonymously as i did this once. If the HSE pay the site a visit and find nothing amiss, they will not charge your boss any money. However, if they do find something amiss, they will charge him £217 per hour. If they turn up at 8 in the morning and find nothing until 3 in the afternoon, the hourly cost gets backtimed to when they turned up.

Depending on what they find, they can either give your boss a 21 day improvement notice, or, shut down the site immediately.

And once you called the HSE out on your boss how were you treated at work afterwards once they found out you were the one who called the HSE out?
  • Scrapit
    James1968 wrote: »
    To comply with legislation, you need the appropriate telescopic fork lift operators certificate and a CPCS card.

Cpcs means you are compliant with legislation but isn't required by legislation.
    OP you want to be legal by the RTA law but don't seem to be bothered about breaking the PUWER law:huh:
  • Scrapit wrote: »
    Cpcs means you are compliant with legislation but isn't required by legislation.
    OP you want to be legal by the RTA law but don't seem to be bothered about breaking the PUWER law:huh:
    I'll be honest, I've never heard of RTA law or PUWER law. What I want is to be legal and have an easy life, keep my head down and get on with my job, though from reading the responses it's quickly seeming like I can't have both of those and i'll need to decide which road to go down, no pun intended.
    At the end of the day, unless it's yes sir no sir then it'll be treated as refusal which then means dealing with aggression from the top down. It doesn't really matter that I'm not actually refusing, I'm just saying I want to be legal and want to be 100% confident that I am legal and not just told I am by someone who wants me to do it. This will still be treated like a refusal and then once again I'm labelled the difficult employee which I've been trying hard to move away from.
  • Scrapit
    I'll be honest, I've never heard of RTA law or PUWER law. What I want is to be legal and have an easy life, keep my head down and get on with my job, though from reading the responses it's quickly seeming like I can't have both of those and i'll need to decide which road to go down, no pun intended.
    At the end of the day, unless it's yes sir no sir then it'll be treated as refusal which then means dealing with aggression from the top down. It doesn't really matter that I'm not actually refusing, I'm just saying I want to be legal and want to be 100% confident that I am legal and not just told I am by someone who wants me to do it. This will still be treated like a refusal and then once again I'm labelled the difficult employee which I've been trying hard to move away from.
    Remember the HSE will deal with your employees and you can remain anonymous. They won't know it's you or anything to do with you. The conversation will go like this between your boss and the inspector: "can I see risk assemenet for the work carried out?"
    Your boss "erm...." and the inspector will investigate from there. Eventually he'll say "That big yellow 3cx, who drives that and prove their competency to me"
    Your boss "erm..."
    Job jobbed.
    The RTA is the road traffic act, HSAWA is the health and safety at work act(an actual act of parliament-its a big deal), PUWER is the provision and use of work equipment regulations, basically the law, about using plant etc. You should have a brown hse poster in your work place some where detailing your contact health and safety details
  • Scrapit wrote: »
    They won't know it's you or anything to do with you.
    You must be joking!

Without doubt it'll be: it'll be that little #;'#@:@~~:@ again.
    Others do this without asking because either 1) they don't care 2) they're told they can so they accept it (wonder if they got told they could jump off a bridge and live would they try it?) 3) the classic .... "it's only" x-distance down the road "nothing bad will happen in that distance so it's ok".
    I'm the only one to question it and they wont know it's anything to do with me?

Even if I wasn't the only one to question it, if HSE was brought in then straight away I guarantee you right now the spotlight would be on me as the reason why.

I need a job & I have to work there, that's not worth the daily grief to me. Sure I don't mind asking DVLA anonymously, but to start bringing HSE down and causing a whole load of grief for myself?
  • With so many different departments at the DVLA and how I can't post links as a new member are you able to advise which is the correct DVLA address to write to?

I've had a look through on their website and a bit unsure which category my query falls in to so not totally sure which department to write to.

I say write because if the answer comes back as I can then great but if it comes back as I can't then I can't exactly show my employer a phone call - and they will be wanting to see proof that I can't drive it if that is to be the case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure