Action in event of Unsucessful VR request

My company is offering voluntary redundancy with some clear detail about process and amounts offered. I am making it absolutely explicitly clear that I want VR and wondered if I was unsuccessful in receiving the enhanced VR offer (there is no right of appeal) could I ask for statutory redundancy payment (which even at the full rate of 15k would be significantly less than my calculated VR offer).

I should say that compulsory redundancies have been mentioned if the first round of VR does not yield enough volunteers.

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    AinslieP wrote: »
    My company is offering voluntary redundancy with some clear detail about process and amounts offered. I am making it absolutely explicitly clear that I want VR and wondered if I was unsuccessful in receiving the enhanced VR offer (there is no right of appeal) could I ask for statutory redundancy payment (which even at the full rate of 15k would be significantly less than my calculated VR offer).

I should say that compulsory redundancies have been mentioned if the first round of VR does not yield enough volunteers.

There are no "rights" as such regarding so called voluntary redundancy.

If the firm have proper grounds to make you redundant they can do so on the normal statutory terms. They must follow a fair process regarding selection etc and the job must genuinely be redundant.

Anything else is not technically redundancy (despite the commonly used term) but is a mutually agreed separation and is entirely a matter for negotiation. Basically they offer money, generally over and above the statutory minimum in the hope of enticing certain staff to accept and leave.

So, you are entirely free to say to them "I'd quite like to go so I'll accept a bit less if that helps" and they can accept, decline or negotiate as they wish.

If you really want to go and you are not one of those selected you could even offer to accept less than statutory!

As I say, entirely a matter for negotiation.
  • Thanks for the quick reply I do like the ides of asking for something less (I am being offered a significant amount because of my years with them - more than twenty and my salary) asking if I can go for something less sounds better that asking for statutory amount
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure