PPI Confusion on joint account

My ex husband and I had a joint mortgage account with PPI, but the PP insurance policy was in my ex-husband's name only. Does this mean that only my husband would be entitled to compensation?

Comments

• Yes. .
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Quietearth wrote: »
    My ex husband and I had a joint mortgage account with PPI, but the PP insurance policy was in my ex-husband's name only. Does this mean that only my husband would be entitled to compensation?

Strictly speaking, your husband is not entitled to any compensation at all, simply for having a MPPI policy. He is however entitled to make a complaint that the policy was mis-sold. Without knowing what complaint reasons you think your ex might have, it would be impossible to say what his chances of success might be.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,775 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Given it was a mortgage policy, why do you even think it was miss-sold? This sort of cover is still sold today because it protects your most valuable asset should you lose a job or be unable to work and it's typically sold via a comprehensive sales policy to ensure the seller is covering their bases every step of the process.
  • mrs_T
    mrs_T Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I just submitted PPI reclaim tonight, found some PPI application form copies from when we took a joint mortgage in 1992. Thing is PPI was only for oh as higher earner even though I always worked. I have submitted claim in his name but we didn't need PPI because I was public sector worker which I know from relative is enough to prove PPI was mis-sold. Wouldn't your ex split refund if PPI premium was paid from joint account?
  • Only if he's feeling generous.
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    mrs_T wrote: »
    I just submitted PPI reclaim tonight, found some PPI application form copies from when we took a joint mortgage in 1992. Thing is PPI was only for oh as higher earner even though I always worked. I have submitted claim in his name but we didn't need PPI because I was public sector worker which I know from relative is enough to prove PPI was mis-sold. Wouldn't your ex split refund if PPI premium was paid from joint account?

That's not true. I was made redundant from the public sector and was glad I had MPPI as it paid my mortgage and some bills each month for nearly two years until I found another job. Was I missold MPPI?
  • Nasqueron

Complete nonsense, even NHS workers with 12 months full sick pay get rejected for MPPI at the FOS because of the nature of the debt (typically 25 years which you will notice is a lot more than 12 months) and what it protects and the life changing consequences of not being able to pay your mortgage.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite

The policy was in your ex husband's name. I'm not convinced that your status as a "public sector worker" is of any relevance.

And you're saying you have submitted a claim in his name? Technically speaking, that's fraud. You can't go round submitting PPI claims in other people's names. Well you can I suppose, but there is a risk of a criminal conviction.:)

I do hope you're on reasonably good terms with your ex, just in case it naffs him off and he feels inclined to nip round the local cop shop and make a complaint. But I do think you should tell him what you've done asap.
  • Nasqueron
    Good point antrobus - mrs T needs to explain if it was for her husband and the reference to ex is replying to the OP otherwise, how does she know her ex doesn't want the policy that she has complained about?
  • mrs_T
    mrs_T Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ha ha, oh is still oh and is happy for me to do the admin. Will wait and see the outcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure