Roadserve - anyone heard of them?

gcoopermax
gcoopermax Posts: 64 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 30 July 2018 at 9:57AM in Motoring
Hi

Has anyone heard of RoadServe?
https://roadserve.co.uk/FAQs.aspx

Apparently, for those who don't know a lot of cars, RoadServe can liaise on their behalf with the garage that you can choose from their network and make sure only the repairs that are required are done and the appropriate prices for parts and labour are charged. Repairs come with guarantee of 12 months or 12k miles, whichever is earlier.

Looks like an interesting proposal, however my concern is that the "correct" prices that RoadServe may agree to with its affiliated garage would be dearer than my regular garage, which is not in their network. And if I ask RoadServe to deal with my regular garage, then it would affect the relationship and trust I have built with the garage our the years.

I will try getting a quote from both RoadServe approved garage and my regular garage to see how they compare, but it would be interesting to know if someone has any experience using them.

Comments

• If you don't know much about cars then maybe a good idea; if you do probably unnecessary.

https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst30884_roadserve.aspx
  • I cannot for the life of me think that this is a service which I would ever consider having.

Looking at their website, I'm left wondering "how much commission is this lot raking in off these recommended garages?" And who would be left paying that commission?

Discounted MOT's are everywhere, you don't need to pay to join a club to get one.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • gcoopermax
    gcoopermax Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Should have mentioned, I got this service for free with my car insurance, as my insurance company (Churchill) has a tie-up with them. RoadServe seem to be around for a while but can't find much on them on forums etc and few posts I found are very sparse.

I will take a quote from their garage and my garage to compare, but I was told that to give realistic estimate, the their garage has to spend some time diagnosing, so even if I decide not to go ahead with repairs with them, I have to pay for the labour in diagnosing the problem! Not sure if my local garage would charge me though, if I just want a diagnosis and estimate. Either way this comparison exercise would cost me I think.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you have a good garage that you know and trust, why would you bother?
  • I just stupidly joined by accident - I'm with Churchill and have breakdown cover with Churchill too, and just assumed it was a way of managing my policy online.

After signing up, I see it's a third party who will charge me an "admin fee" for booking my car in for a service. I have a local garage just round the corner from me, and am quite happy with them. I've emailed Churchill as I think their email to their customers wasn't crystal clear. I assume I won't get hit for "admin fees" and a membership fee unless I actually try and book a service, but unless I've missed the blooming obvious (quite possible, since I obviously didn't read the small print in the original email properly!), I can't really see what use this "service" is.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    Ther service will be charge you or take a fee from teh garage which you will end up paying for.

How can someone on the end of a phone line comment on whether your car needs an item replaced or not?

Just adds an uneeded step in the chain. Somebody will pay the costs and its likely to be you.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• A number of people have commented that it won’t help to involve a third party like Roadserve when you can just take your car to the garage. Unfortunately I fell for their spiel and have regretted it ever since. They are hopelessly incompetent and three months after taking my car to the garage, I still don’t have an MOT certificate or service documentation but am getting threatening emails demanding payment. Don’t go near them!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Sounds a lot like a ServicingStop setup, whereby garages who can't get business locally because of their reputation sign up to a "recommendation" scheme where they get business through somebody else's branding.
  • I have done the same via Direct Line CMS.

They are a complete joke. Avoid at all costs.
  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Elsewhere there is a post about some where the OP had a choice, insurance company or claims handler. Again this was someone with a tie up with the insure. They opted for this and than found the car written off and the payout substantially lower than expected. Never mind third parties. You insure with X and only deal with X. That is what you are paying them for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure