Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt

Comments

• Well done on the Cornwall tent decision, I think far more enjoyable to look forward to that than worrying about the cost of the other.

I came over to say thank you - your enterprise with working with what you have to sort the bedroom made me think about just what I could do with what we already have instead of being depressed about the mess and the clutter and my lack of funds to sort it. 4 big tubs of white paint stashed in the garage may see us having a very minimalist decor (complete with designer muddy paw prints) but that's better than my current hate about every room.
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    try_harder wrote: »
    Great targets for February and lots of fun things too.

I am the same with the cafes at the NT i cannot resist the cakes

It's the fact I can get gluten free scones that tempt me every time :o

We made some progress on the jobs for Feb list but have to admit to buying the cheapest Karcher we could find and a lot more basic model than the one that has gone kaput. We also bought a tin of spray paint to tart up the blemished cover for the bathroom extractor fan; a £10 investment against the price of a new extractor fan. Only problem is we will have to fish the cove rout of the bin!

3 Frugal Things for Today

1) Bought a tin of spray paint instead of a having to buy a new extractor fan later
    2) Ate freezer food instead of nipping to the local Italians for a happy hour 3 courses for £4.95
    3) Found an almost full tin of leftover kitchen paint that is enough to do the down stairs loo and utility room :)
    4) Found window film in B&Q for a third of the price of the one I had seen on line

Not much else to report, put the old bedding on in the new guest room and used one of the seat pads in the wicker chair, added a bunch of tulips to an old white jug and it looks lovely.

My Dad is expected mid morning so we will be up early to finish the rest of the housework and I want to make a fruit salad for lunch/Sunday breakfast.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • XSpender
    Well done on the Cornwall tent decision, I think far more enjoyable to look forward to that than worrying about the cost of the other.

I came over to say thank you - your enterprise with working with what you have to sort the bedroom made me think about just what I could do with what we already have instead of being depressed about the mess and the clutter and my lack of funds to sort it. 4 big tubs of white paint stashed in the garage may see us having a very minimalist decor (complete with designer muddy paw prints) but that's better than my current hate about every room.

It's amazing what a lick of paint can do to make you look at a room differently. DH picked up a tin of gloss this evening and in 20 minutes the living room looked fresh again and he had only painted some skirting and the frame of the archway.

We have moved some of our pictures around and moved a rug downstairs (that we have had for over 10 years) and it feels so much nicer.
  • XSpender
    I've not posted for a few days with my Dad's visit and recovering from all the work we did to get the place ready.

It's snowing again.

We had a lovely time with my Dad and Stepmum at the weekend and Dad told DH that even though we still had work to do our house was beautiful and the view was stunning. :)

DH has had a long weekend off and has spent too much in B&Q:( :mad:

So far we have paid £675.74 off the debt (net of interest) with 2 credit card payments still to come out. It looks like hitting £1000 and finding the £150 for camping are going to be a struggle :(

DH took DS swimming yesterday and was massively impressed with his ability and technique that we are going to keep him in lessons for the time being. He will need to change to another swim school and it will have to be on a Saturday. DS is happy to continue now he knows that continuing lessons doesn't mean he has to compete in races.

Three Frugal Things for Yesterday

1) DMIL bought me a jumper in the sale :A
    2) DH and I have agreed to do a 6 week eat everything in the house challenge starting now. I may start a new thread on the OS board to keep track
    3) Signed up to a 1 week food diary with shop n scan which will earn me £10
    4) DH has applied some draught excluder tape we have had for years to the hall door and it has worked a treat.

Today's to do list
    1) List utility room freezer contents
    2) Pick up the rest of DS antibiotics prescription
    3) Use up fridge contents for breakfast and dinner
    4) Have a first attempt at a new GF bread recipe
    5) Last load of washing in dryer
    6) Wash delicates and dry
    7) Complete 2 pieces of work work
    8) Don't forget to pick DS up from school at 5.15pm!
  • Oh yes, please do start a thread - I have just this minute posted my intention to do a freezer audit and use up all those "bits" and only then, plan around the YS meat and fish, over on the February Grocery Challenge. I've got one freezer with just fruit from our garden in it, and yet I bought a box of frozen berries from the supermarket on Friday. What a nonsense!

It is the same as paying them to store their stock!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Glad the visit went well

Have a lovely day

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 February 2018 at 5:00PM
    Your challenge sounds like a good idea, ideas for recipes and things to do with stuff. I love those type of threads although I am always too ashamed to post the contents of my cupboards.

When really were in the pits of famine I used to run a diary on mortgagefreeinthree which was about my long term use up of stuff, and the only top up spend allowed was the £20 board contributed by SS. It was fun to do because of the input of others.
  • XSpender
    Oh yes, please do start a thread - I have just this minute posted my intention to do a freezer audit and use up all those "bits" and only then, plan around the YS meat and fish, over on the February Grocery Challenge. I've got one freezer with just fruit from our garden in it, and yet I bought a box of frozen berries from the supermarket on Friday. What a nonsense!

It is the same as paying them to store their stock!

I have started a thread called 'Spring Cleaning the Freezers' over on OS. Any hints and tips gratefully received.

Glad the visit went well

Have a lovely day

x

Thanks Wannabe. I lost you for a while when your diary was deleted so must pop over and catch up x
    Your challenge sounds like a good idea, ideas for recipes and things to do with stuff. I love those type of threads although I am always too ashamed to post the contents of my cupboards.

When really were in the pits of famine I used to run a diary on mortgagefreeinthree which was about my long term use up of stuff, and the only top up spend allowed was the £20 board contributed by SS. It was fun to do because of the input of others.

I used to read that blog all the time :) I am looking forward to others seeing things I've missed and adding in their suggestions.
  • XSpender
    XSpender wrote: »
    Today's to do list
    1) [STRIKE]List utility room freezer contents[/STRIKE] DONE
    2) Pick up the rest of DS antibiotics prescription NOT DONE
    3) [STRIKE]Use up fridge contents for breakfast and dinner[/STRIKE] DONE
    4) Have a first attempt at a new GF bread recipe NOT DONE
    5) [STRIKE]Last load of washing in dryer[/STRIKE] DONE
    6)[STRIKE] Wash delicates and dry[/STRIKE] DONE, still drying
    7) Complete 2 pieces of work work NOT DONE :eek:
    8) [STRIKE]Don't forget to pick DS up from school at 5.15pm![/STRIKE] DONE

Spent too long sorting out my new challenge so didn't get my work finished :o

Three Frugal Things for Today

1) Washing the delicates has saved me a tenner in dry cleaning and removed a mark in a silk shirt the cleaners said they wouldn't be able to get out
    2) No spend day
    3) Set up my challenge and have had lots of great support so far which is very motivating
  • I've popped over, but my mum reads OS so I am incognito which may be confusing :cool:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback